Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Draft 2021

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just going to go ahead and rule out Moody as an option for the Raps. The more I read up on him and see video, the more he seems like a Trent Jr. clone. Classic catch and shoot, 3&D wing. Anyone see him as a potential all star?

    Comment


    • LJ2 wrote: View Post

      Mo Bamba might have been an All Star by now if Raps picked him and developed him. Let's not act like Raps are just pulling starter caliber talent out of their asses with late firsts and seconds. They are developing them.
      So what about Bruno? Noguiera? Julyan Stone? McCaw? Miller? Moreland? Malachi Richardson? Nigel Hayes? Anthony Bennett? so how come those guys never developed?
      Mamba Mentality

      Comment


      • The Great One wrote: View Post

        So what about Bruno? Noguiera? Julyan Stone? McCaw? Miller? Moreland? Malachi Richardson? Nigel Hayes? Anthony Bennett? so how come those guys never developed?
        they weren't very talented

        Comment


        • The Great One wrote: View Post

          That's what I said. They're all bust. If you're picking in the top 10 the expectation should be is to draft a future all star. At worst a really really good player like a JV or a McCollum or an Eric Gordon.

          Do you think the Raptors are doing this(tanking) just to draft the next Jakob Poeltl or Mo Bamba? would anyone here be happy if they draft the next Mo Bamba 7th overall?
          There are only 24 All Star spots. How can the expectation possibly be to draft 10 new/future ones every year? All Star level players have 10-15 year NBA careers. That's 100-150 All Stars drafted during their career? That's not the expectation at all.

          Plenty of drafts only your top 3 or so have legitimate All Star potential. Might be a diamond in the rough later in the draft but no one knows who those guys are at the time.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

          Comment


          • S.R. wrote: View Post

            There are only 24 All Star spots. How can the expectation possibly be to draft 10 new/future ones every year? All Star level players have 10-15 year NBA careers. That's 100-150 All Stars drafted during their career? That's not the expectation at all.

            Plenty of drafts only your top 3 or so have legitimate All Star potential. Might be a diamond in the rough later in the draft but no one knows who those guys are at the time.
            This right here. The expectation of getting an all star just because you're drafting in the top 10 is completely unrealistic, the numbers just don't add up to make that remotely possible. I think a good expectation is getting a multi year starter who is a difference maker on the court. Like an OG or Siakam level player I'd be happy with in the top 10.

            Comment


            • S.R. wrote: View Post

              There are only 24 All Star spots. How can the expectation possibly be to draft 10 new/future ones every year? All Star level players have 10-15 year NBA careers. That's 100-150 All Stars drafted during their career? That's not the expectation at all.

              Plenty of drafts only your top 3 or so have legitimate All Star potential. Might be a diamond in the rough later in the draft but no one knows who those guys are at the time.
              If that is not the expectation then why are they doing this? why are they tanking? and how come a lot of people here want them to tank? just to draft an average player?
              Mamba Mentality

              Comment


              • Primer wrote: View Post

                This right here. The expectation of getting an all star just because you're drafting in the top 10 is completely unrealistic, the numbers just don't add up to make that remotely possible. I think a good expectation is getting a multi year starter who is a difference maker on the court. Like an OG or Siakam level player I'd be happy with in the top 10.
                So all star players? Siakam's an all star. And OG has all star potential.
                Mamba Mentality

                Comment


                • The Great One wrote: View Post

                  So all star players? Siakam's an all star. And OG has all star potential.
                  I think its more like getting a blue chip prospect.

                  Comment


                  • magoon wrote: View Post

                    If Masai likes a non-top-4 player and wants to trade down, he can potentially trade with Orlando (who if we get a top 4 will most likely be bumped to 5) for their two lottery picks. Or with Golden State for #6 and #17. Or with other teams for a mid-lottery pick and a future first or two (which is the same way Dallas traded up to get Luka).

                    If they have a specific player in mind, two picks > one pick.
                    that's assuming minny doesn't win the lottery either.. but I don't know if we get the 6 and 17 without doing a weird trade where we give up siakam for wiseman etc etc and I don't want to do that. that's too many development projects.

                    Comment


                    • The Great One wrote: View Post

                      If that is not the expectation then why are they doing this? why are they tanking? and how come a lot of people here want them to tank? just to draft an average player?
                      anyone who doesn't think we have better players available within the top 10 and even top 4 are being silly.

                      Comment


                      • The Great One wrote: View Post

                        If that is not the expectation then why are they doing this? why are they tanking? and how come a lot of people here want them to tank? just to draft an average player?
                        Uh...to increase the likelihood of drafting a very good/great player?

                        Comment


                        • The Great One wrote: View Post

                          If that is not the expectation then why are they doing this? why are they tanking? and how come a lot of people here want them to tank? just to draft an average player?
                          This is a particularly deep draft with a lot of good prospects in a year where the Raptors were handicapped for a number of reasons and weren't getting any worthwhile playoff revenue. If ever a season made sense for a single-season tank, it was this one.

                          The point of any draft isn't "to get an All-Star" - that's the hope, certainly, but it's not the point. The point is to improve your overall stock of talent on the roster so the team gets better and/or has more assets in the event a particularly advantageous trade becomes available. Masai and Bobby have demonstrated at this point that they can identify good players who can contribute to the team's winning nature while also becoming assets in the event of a trade, and sometimes they get star players or near-star players at the same time: Jakob and Delon and Matt Thomas were in the first group, and Pascal, OG and Fred in the second group.

                          Higher draft picks make it more likely to hit on higher talent players, which mean better players and better assets overall. We all love the longshot nondraftees and reclamation project players the Raptors sign and try to squeeze wins from, be they Rondae or Yuta or Watson or TD2 or even Stanley, but those guys almost always have ceilings because the league is mostly pretty good at surveilling basketball potential and the obvious/most likely picks always go early. Winning teams don't often get chances in the lottery so in a year where winning matters a lot less than normal and is less likely than normal, it makes sense to tank.

                          Comment


                          • Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                            Comment


                            • Wish we had more Intel on who the Raps are scouting. All we know so far is that they've looked at Giddey, a forward.

                              Comment


                              • Either way these kids that are going to be drafted by us will be filling out our roster in a BIG way. For example, keon johnson or kuminga in exchange for stanley johnson... point blank period. HUGE UPGRADE.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X