Game # 10 Raps at Blazers Monday January 11th 10pm on Sportsnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    It's not same team from 2 years ago. It's not same team from last year.
    Sure, it's a team in transition. It's not a team painted into a corner that needs to be torn down.

The transition has some bumps. It includes young guys getting reps to develop skills. Like Siakam getting end of game iso's - and rimming out. It includes attempts at moving forward by signing guys like Giannis - and sometimes whiffing.

Progress is not linear. It's not easy. It takes time. There's bumps along the way. You don't 180 your course on such short notice. This is a multi-year process.

Right now this team has 3 All-Star level players in my opinion. Lowry always is and probably won't make it as his box score numbers dip with Fred stepping up. Siakam just averaged something like 24/11/7 on the road trip on good efficiency with very good defence - he's definitely heading to the ASG again. And Fred is putting up AS numbers for sure.

An Eastern Conference team with 3 All-Stars and some talent in other positions is not a lottery team. Not in this conference. Not even if you trade Lowry.

They have some bumps to work through and the roster talent is thinner than it used to be. They've got to restock the cupboard. They're still going to try to position themselves to trade for the next Kawhi/Harden (and may well make a trade later this season once more Raptors are eligible to be moved). That's still the right path, imho. This team is nowhere near tanking territory, not with this talent level and roster construction (cap sheet) and with what stage of transition they're at. They're a long, long way from giving up on this path and rerouting to a new one.
    Last edited by S.R.; Tue Jan 12, 2021, 01:23 PM.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• If anyone's assessment of this team is informed by Kendrick Perkins and Paul Pierce hot takes, you might want to re-evaluate your source material.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Sure, it's a team in transition. It's not a team painted into a corner that needs to be torn down.

The transition has some bumps. It includes young guys getting reps to develop skills. Like Siakam getting end of game iso's - and rimming out. It includes attempts at moving forward by signing guys like Giannis - and sometimes whiffing.

Progress is not linear. It's not easy. It takes time. There's bumps along the way. You don't 180 your course on such short notice. This is a multi-year process.

Right now this team has 3 All-Star level players in my opinion. Lowry always is and probably won't make it as his box score numbers dip with Fred stepping up. Siakam just averaged something like 24/11/7 on the road trip on good efficiency with very good defence - he's definitely heading to the ASG again. And Fred is putting up AS numbers for sure.

An Eastern Conference team with 3 All-Stars and some talent in other positions is not a lottery team. Not in this conference. Not even if you trade Lowry.

They have some bumps to work through and the roster talent is thinner than it used to be. They've got to restock the cupboard. They're still going to try to position themselves to trade for the next Kawhi/Harden. That's still the right path, imho. This team is nowhere near tanking territory, not with this talent level and roster construction (cap sheet) and with what stage of transition they're at. They're a long, long way from giving up on this path and rerouting to a new one.
        I'm all for keeping Siakam, OG, FVV these guys are the future. I don't know where Lowry fits in this multi-year process. We need to think about what to do with Kyle.

We are saying this team is not lottery team but record says otherwise. I mean we are tied for worst record in NBA. And we past 10% of the season. It's not a lot but it's not nothing.

Our next 10 games are not getting easier. We will face Heat twice, Pacers twice, Hornets twice, Mavs, Bucks.

If these next 10 games go bad. They need to make decision for what they do. If they trade Lowry that's as far as I'm willing to take it. If Siakam-OG-FVV win more games and it puts them out of lottery so be it, let chips fall where they may. I'm not for trading those three. Hopefully we'll make it to Top 10 and for what it's worth talent is in Top 10
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I'm all for keeping Siakam, OG, FVV these guys are the future. I don't know where Lowry fits in this multi-year process. We need to think about what to do with Kyle.

We are saying this team is not lottery team but record says otherwise. I mean we are tied for worst record in NBA. And we past 10% of the season. It's not a lot but it's not nothing.

Our next 10 games are not getting easier. We will face Heat twice, Pacers twice, Hornets twice, Mavs, Bucks.

If these next 10 games go bad. They need to make decision for what they do. If they trade Lowry that's as far as I'm willing to take it. If Siakam-OG-FVV win more games and it puts them out of lottery so be it, let chips fall where they may. I'm not for trading those three. Hopefully we'll make it to Top 10 and for what it's worth talent is in Top 10
          It's been a sketchy start. They need to be better. I think they will be - a lot better. They will not have a .2 win % by the end of this season, they'll likely be a middling EC playoff seed.

What to do with Lowry is a huge question this year. Norm + a couple new guys are trade pieces. I'm pretty sure trades are on the table, but partly because they always are. There were deadline deals the championship year.

I'm not convinced dumping Lowry gets this team deep enough into the lottery for a meaningful return. If anything, Lowry/Norm/pieces are trade assets to bring something back that has more certainty, whether picks, prospects, or players.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Boucher + Fred for Harden would be a good return for the Rockets.
            The Rockets need a chip. They know they need and will hold out for McCaw. That's all that's holding this up

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

The fact that it took the Celtics 7 games to beat them with Siakam a no-show in ALL 7 games showed me that they were good enough to compete against the best teams in the East. And if that series wasn't in a bubble, if Game 7 was at the Air Canada Centre, Raptors would've won that series.
              But Boston, Milwaukee and the Sixers maybe could/will be better in the post season this year. The pack is separating and we're no longer there. I wonder where we'd be if we mixed and matched Serge and Boucher instead of Len/Baynes and Boucher. Perhaps a bit better but still not good enough?

Comment

The closer we get to the trade deadline the better the offers will get for Kyle, from teams looking break into the playoffs or improve their odds of making a deep run. On the other hand if our record is similarly poor at that point maybe Masai opts to keep him?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

The closer we get to the trade deadline the better the offers will get for Kyle, from teams looking break into the playoffs or improve their odds of making a deep run. On the other hand if our record is similarly poor at that point maybe Masai opts to keep him?
                  Lowry is free agent. And we already lost so many guys with nothing going back to us.

Comment

• If our realistic ceiling this year is 4-7th in the conf and an early (1st-2nd round) exit, what's the real downside of trading Lowry for an expiring, and up and comer that lines up with Siakam, FVV and OG and another draft pick, plus our own even if we're still not bad enough for it to be lottery?

Frame it as a gift to Lowry and fans will be fine with it. Take the "Kyle deserves another chance vs the Raps shafted Kyle" road and it all looks good.Sign him back in the off season if you're allowed to. If he doesn't come back, he wouldn't as a free agent either.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Its up to Kyle really. If we still have a poor record and Kyle is willing to stay, I'm more than happy to have him retire as a Raptor.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

That shot was pure luck for sure but so was the shots that Marcus Smart hit in Gane 2. Smart did his best Steph Curry impression in that game where hit crazy 3's after crazy 3's the last 5 mins of the game. I think the Raptors were up 10 or something the last 5 mins of that gsme. Raptors should've won Game 2; Celtics should've won Game 3.

That series was meant to go 7.
                        Smart hit 5 3's in Game 1 and 6 3's in Game 2. He also made 6 3's in Game 6. That's more like normal 3-pt variance, than luck. He did what he's supposed to do as the 4th option, because we had needed to put a Box & 1 on Kemba, and then worry about Tatum & Brown. And Smart made big plays on both sides of the ball the entire series - he was just on his game that series. I mean, Fred got ridiculously hot from 3 vs. the Bucks in 2019 after sucking vs. the Sixers and nobody called that lucky.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                          If our realistic ceiling this year is 4-7th in the conf and an early (1st-2nd round) exit, what's the real downside of trading Lowry for an expiring, and up and comer that lines up with Siakam, FVV and OG and another draft pick, plus our own even if we're still not bad enough for it to be lottery?

Frame it as a gift to Lowry and fans will be fine with it. Take the "Kyle deserves another chance vs the Raps shafted Kyle" road and it all looks good.Sign him back in the off season if you're allowed to. If he doesn't come back, he wouldn't as a free agent either.
                          if we are not bad enough to be in lottery we can also package our pick and pick we get for Kyle and move up the draft.

Comment

if we are not bad enough to be in lottery we can also package our pick and pick we get for Kyle and move up the draft.
                            It's hard to think of a team that would be desperate enough to give up a FRP for Lowry this year, other than the Clippers, who don't have any.

Comment

It's hard to think of a team that would be desperate enough to give up a FRP for Lowry this year, other than the Clippers, who don't have any.
                              I think late first round pick can still be in play. Playoff team probably won't value it.

Comment

On the bright side, Kyle is still a very good player and a player you can put into any Playoff team where he will fit right in and elevate them. Its still early season, but there will be more teams that are willing to trade for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X