Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #11 Charlotte Hornets @ Toronto Raptors 7:30 pm. TSN

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rudy Bargnani
    replied
    Raps really struggled when Charlotte went to zone...which probably mean Charlotte plays more zone tonight. That’s a fun part of these back to backs you see adjustments game to game.

    If I’m Charlotte I’m playing zone for all the non Lowry minutes and for a lot of the game for that matter. Matt Thomas would be good against the zone need some shooting to keep them honest

    Leave a comment:


  • Gonzz
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Should be interesting to see if the Charlotte's try to gameplan for Boucher tonight. Could open up stuff inside. Let's get the game thread going Yuri...you're one of the few who has gotten the honour to start a second one
    Wake up Yuri it’s game day.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jclaw
    replied
    Should be interesting to see if the Charlotte's try to gameplan for Boucher tonight. Could open up stuff inside. Let's get the game thread going Yuri...you're one of the few who has gotten the honour to start a second one

    Leave a comment:


  • Dvdvideo
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

    Who did the Pelicans play?
    Lol, I always mix up the Pelicans and the Hornets......

    Leave a comment:


  • DogeLover1234
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post

    Reason why they aren't playing is because of their defense. Raptors are bottom 10 in defense and rebounding and thats where they need the most help.

    Raptors are top 5 in 3 pointers made and attempted, they're 13th in 3P%, but they're at the bottom in 2s made and attempted and 19th in 2P%. Defense and rebounding are bigger issues than their offense. They shoot 3s just fine, which is mainly what TD and especially Matt Thomas provide.
    With no center lineups its tough to mess around on defense. These guys absolutely fly around the court on defense. Norm is the option to cut minutes from, but I get why Nurse trusts him more. Its just tough to slot the bench guards who probably deserve minutes into these undersized lineups. We knew this would be a problem coming into the season.

    Leave a comment:


  • inthepaint
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post

    Reason why they aren't playing is because of their defense. Raptors are bottom 10 in defense and rebounding and thats where they need the most help.

    Raptors are top 5 in 3 pointers made and attempted, they're 13th in 3P%, but they're at the bottom in 2s made and attempted and 19th in 2P%. Defense and rebounding are bigger issues than their offense. They shoot 3s just fine, which is mainly what TD and especially Matt Thomas provide.
    That's very fluid right now though. 3 or 4 games ago (I think before the Kings game) we were close to the top defensively, but at the very bottom offensively. Sample is still pretty small. Looking at this team I feel they mostly need:

    1. A centre that can participate in the pnr properly (as a target for Lowry) and provide energy on the glass. Right now that's just boucher and he can't play 48min, so to me the other C minutes should go to Siakam, with him as a screener (or handler) on the the pnr.
    2. bench scoring outside boucher, particularly when Lowry is sitting
    3. Contest opponent's 3-ball better
    4. Space, so in the half court offence after Siakam generates gravity in the paint, he has more outlets for a kickout when the double comes (which would rack up his assists), or finish up more easily inside because other defenders have to be glued to shooters. Guys like TD/Thomas are the classic player prototype to unlock Pascal's game like that.

    Leave a comment:


  • A.I
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post

    Time will tell how good Matt Thomas and TD are.

    Maybe we overrating a guy who got let go by Lakers, travelled Europe before coming to NBA and a guy who went undrafted.
    Reason why they aren't playing is because of their defense. Raptors are bottom 10 in defense and rebounding and thats where they need the most help.

    Raptors are top 5 in 3 pointers made and attempted, they're 13th in 3P%, but they're at the bottom in 2s made and attempted and 19th in 2P%. Defense and rebounding are bigger issues than their offense. They shoot 3s just fine, which is mainly what TD and especially Matt Thomas provide.
    Last edited by A.I; Fri Jan 15, 2021, 05:41 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • inthepaint
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

    What we used to do best was Draft, Develop and Trade.

    The jury is still out on Nurse as a player development coach for young players. DD, JV, Ross, Norm, Pascal, Fred, OG, Delon & Jakob were all young players became consistent rotation players under Casey. The only Nurse guy is Boucher, who isn't even young and 90% of what he brings is hustle and elite physical tools.

    When you see 2 talented sophomores like TD & Thomas rotting on the bench, you have to wonder what's going on.


    I give Nurse credit for his experience with other leagues (and for the fact that he stresses the importance of playing defence early in guys), but ultimately he's too biased and plays favourites too much to develop Nba players properly.

    Once he has a list of favourite players, if you're not on that list, your ability to play through mistakes and correct them (which is key in learning and developing anything), is eliminated. Meanwhile if you're on his list, you have a free pass to screw up indefinitely, way into the playoffs sometimes. The leash sizes are grossly different.

    TD & Thomas (and maybe Watson) are poised to be solid Nba contributors if given rhythm and confidence. There's tons of untapped potential in all 3 (and yes, areas to work on of course), but Nurse has no patience for them, so unfortunately I can see another team buying low, giving them minutes, and reaping the value.

    Leave a comment:


  • MixxAOR
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

    I'm the last person on this board who would defend Casey, but he was mostly right about JV. The game was moving away from slow-footed centers who also couldn't stretch the floor. But my point was more that at least with Casey, young players actually cracked the lineup with a consistent role. We haven't seen anybody do that under Nurse, except Boucher.

    I mean Nurse platooned JV off the bench here, and he never saw any closing minutes. He hasn't busted out in Memphis or is used any differently. And he still can't defend the PnR, or in space. With Ross, he found his niche as a 6th man, which is the same as he was used here. Casey was right about him, too.

    TD was solidly in the rotation last year, so I was hopeful for Nurse, but he seems to have shortened his leash on TD since the bubble. I don't get it. Thomas had only 1 bad game and now he's relegated to playing with 3rd stringers? WTF? He's probably top 5 in the NBA in pure 3-pt shooting skill. Surely Nurse can find a regular place for him in the rotation on a team that needs regular scoring and spacing.
    Time will tell how good Matt Thomas and TD are.

    Maybe we overrating a guy who got let go by Lakers, travelled Europe before coming to NBA and a guy who went undrafted.

    Leave a comment:


  • planetmars
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

    Your memory is a little foggy PM. The vaunted Bench Mob (Fred, Pascal, Delon, Jakob + CJ) and Fred's 6MOTY was 2018.... under Casey. And they all flamed out in the playoffs, which is why we hired Nurse. But the young guys got their first consistent minutes and a defined role under Casey. TD & Thomas can't even get or stay into the rotation for more than a few games.

    And the only reason Boucher is even in the rotation is because we lost Marc & Serge. No question, he'd still be getting yanked around and scrapping for minutes if those guys were still here.
    You're right.. my bad. Siakam started as well because we were thin at PF. Nurse wanted to split JV/Serge and then Marc/Serge. Agree with your point then.

    Still doesn't explain Nurse's love for McCaw though lol.

    Leave a comment:


  • golden
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

    Pascal and Fred were young under Nurse and got significant minutes. Pascal started. Fred was voted 3rd for 6MOY. They were Nurse guys. McCaw got a lot of burn and he's young. Nurse just plays favourites.. but you can be young and be a favourite. You don't have to be old.

    Casey started Scola all year. I don't know if Nurse would have done that.
    Your memory is a little foggy PM. The vaunted Bench Mob (Fred, Pascal, Delon, Jakob + CJ) and Fred's 6MOTY was 2018.... under Casey. And they all flamed out in the playoffs, which is why we hired Nurse. But the young guys got their first consistent minutes and a defined role under Casey. TD & Thomas can't even get or stay into the rotation for more than a few games.

    And the only reason Boucher is even in the rotation is because we lost Marc & Serge. No question, he'd still be getting yanked around and scrapping for minutes if those guys were still here.

    Leave a comment:


  • planetmars
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

    I'm the last person on this board who would defend Casey, but he was mostly right about JV. The game was moving away from slow-footed centers who also couldn't stretch the floor. But my point was more that at least with Casey, young players actually cracked the lineup with a consistent role. We haven't seen anybody do that under Nurse, except Boucher.

    I mean Nurse platooned JV off the bench here, and he never saw any closing minutes. He hasn't busted out in Memphis or is used any differently. And he still can't defend the PnR, or in space. With Ross, he found his niche as a 6th man, which is the same as he was used here. Casey was right about him, too.

    TD was solidly in the rotation last year, so I was hopeful for Nurse, but he seems to have shortened his leash on TD since the bubble. I don't get it. Thomas had only 1 bad game and now he's relegated to playing with 3rd stringers? WTF? He's probably top 5 in the NBA in pure 3-pt shooting skill. Surely Nurse can find a regular place for him in the rotation on a team that needs regular scoring and spacing.
    Pascal and Fred were young under Nurse and got significant minutes. Pascal started. Fred was voted 3rd for 6MOY. They were Nurse guys. McCaw got a lot of burn and he's young. Nurse just plays favourites.. but you can be young and be a favourite. You don't have to be old.

    Casey started Scola all year. I don't know if Nurse would have done that.

    Leave a comment:


  • golden
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post

    The entire fanbase used to complain about how Casey handled JV lol
    But he was still starting games with a regular role.

    Leave a comment:


  • golden
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post

    I will not accept Casey as a good developmental coach after how they mishandled JV.
    I'm the last person on this board who would defend Casey, but he was mostly right about JV. The game was moving away from slow-footed centers who also couldn't stretch the floor. But my point was more that at least with Casey, young players actually cracked the lineup with a consistent role. We haven't seen anybody do that under Nurse, except Boucher.

    I mean Nurse platooned JV off the bench here, and he never saw any closing minutes. He hasn't busted out in Memphis or is used any differently. And he still can't defend the PnR, or in space. With Ross, he found his niche as a 6th man, which is the same as he was used here. Casey was right about him, too.

    TD was solidly in the rotation last year, so I was hopeful for Nurse, but he seems to have shortened his leash on TD since the bubble. I don't get it. Thomas had only 1 bad game and now he's relegated to playing with 3rd stringers? WTF? He's probably top 5 in the NBA in pure 3-pt shooting skill. Surely Nurse can find a regular place for him in the rotation on a team that needs regular scoring and spacing.

    Leave a comment:


  • MixxAOR
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post

    The entire fanbase used to complain about how Casey handled JV lol
    I will not accept Casey as a good developmental coach after how they mishandled JV.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X