Who Should Be Traded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I don't think KP is the guy to target. And that's completely ignoring injuries. He's better than Baynes, sure, but in a Lowry trade I'd want a really, really good C back if we're doing a current fit trade, and KP is just , you know, good. He's fine. I guess I could live with such a trade, and who knows, maybe he's great on the Raps. Doesn't really wow me though.
    Yeah I mean Porzingis is just a softer Boucher. I havent watched any Mavs this year, but Ive just never been a huge fan of Porzingis, just seems super underwhelming his whole career. That being said, I say that because he legitimately should have a really high ceiling so he could be worth it as an investment if you can buy low enough (he should be dirt cheap). I am very hesitant because of the many red flags though. I trust if Masai and co aquire him, but Im fully happy not.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

We'd really only need KP to stretch the floor and protect the rim. He can do both of those things. And he excels in the mid-range pick & pop, like Serge, which is one area you can get open shots in the playoffs.

I mean, you're not getting Jokic or a top 5 draft pick for a Lowry rental, so what are we even talking about here?

Think about this deal:

To Mavs: Lowry, Powell, Thomas
      To Raps: KP, Richardson, Burke

Roster:

PG: Burke / FVV
      SG: J-Rich / TD
      SF: OG / Bembry
      PF: Pascal / Boucher
      C: KP / Baynes

That's a pretty deep and balanced team right there.
      i like the fit of zinger on this team well enough but he has three years left on his deal after this season with a long and storied injury history. you think fred, pascal, and OG are overpaid but you're down for zinger at 36 million in 23-24? that's a player-option but i'm guessing he'll pick it up.

i liked richardson as a potential norm replacement for the 2021 offseason, assuming both opted out, but he's been pretty bad for the second year in a row and am not sure he will now. even if he did, i'd probably rather just re-up norm depending on what that costs

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

It's also far fetched. Ujiri isnt gonna make a massive overhaul here midseason, not the way the team is going
        Pretty sure hes trolling considering he listed Trey Burke as the starting pg. I havent watched the film on Porzingis, but looking at his numbers, injury history and contract Dallas should have to give up a pick for us to take on Porzingis.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Yeah I mean Porzingis is just a softer Boucher. I havent watched any Mavs this year, but Ive just never been a huge fan of Porzingis, just seems super underwhelming his whole career. That being said, I say that because he legitimately should have a really high ceiling so he could be worth it as an investment if you can buy low enough (he should be dirt cheap). I am very hesitant because of the many red flags though. I trust if Masai and co aquire him, but Im fully happy not.
          Yeah, but everybody is a softer Boucher, because he's one of the toughest guys, pound-for-pound, on a team full of tough guys. Porzingis' red flags are obviously his injury history and that he'll probably never play up to his max contract, so that's already salary cap issues there.

And you're right, the Zinger unicorn hype got out of hand early in his career, probably because it was NYC and his size - it was very reminiscent of Bargnani.

Comment

• Porzingis usually has a + defensive RAPTOR rating, but this year he's at a dismal -3.8. Baynes is +1.1 in that stat (-6.1 on the offensive side though lol)
            https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...layer-ratings/

Comment

• I still remember the article maybe 2 3 years ago asking who was the next best "unicorn"; Embiid, giannis, or zinger. The 3 guys were on an even level at that point.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Porzingis is still really good, even if everyone bailed on the early career hype train. He's no Bargnani - for one he rebounds pretty well (Raptors need help), he protects the rim (Bargnani lol), and he can get to the line.

A concern is a bunch of his numbers are dipping this season. Is he less effective due to injuries (already)? Is he slightly less engaged or being pushed to the periphery in Dallas? I'm not watching him play so I don't know.

His only real weaknesses in Toronto, I think, would be he struggles a bit more to get around the floor defensively (would create a weak spot in the Raptors D) and his health. Other than that, he's very good at a lot of things and would shift talent from guard spots to a position of need via a trade.

He isn't that guaranteed franchise guy, but I think he'd make the team a step better.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Porzingis usually has a + defensive RAPTOR rating, but this year he's at a dismal -3.8. Baynes is +1.1 in that stat (-6.1 on the offensive side though lol)
                  https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...layer-ratings/
                  And that's why getting KP would be an extremely risky "buy low" moment, like when we traded for an injured Kawhi. Porzingis (along with WCS) was the Mavs best defender last year, by a wide margin, and he was top 20 in overall RPM and PIPM, IIRC.

Or, he could be finally devastated by injuries, like Cousins and Dipo, and never return even close to form, becoming a deadweight max contract.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Porzingis is still really good, even if everyone bailed on the early career hype train. He's no Bargnani - for one he rebounds pretty well (Raptors need help), he protects the rim (Bargnani lol), and he can get to the line.

A concern is a bunch of his numbers are dipping this season. Is he less effective due to injuries (already)? Is he slightly less engaged or being pushed to the periphery in Dallas? I'm not watching him play so I don't know.

His only real weaknesses in Toronto, I think, would be he struggles a bit more to get around the floor defensively (would create a weak spot in the Raptors D) and his health. Other than that, he's very good at a lot of things and would shift talent from guard spots to a position of need via a trade.

He isn't that guaranteed franchise guy, but I think he'd make the team a step better.
                    I could talk myself into Porzingis. He checks a lot of boxes and I'm confident Nurse can work with him defensively. The injuries combined with that contract term are a big issue, though.

However, working backwards, this team's biggest need is a shot creator and shot maker on the perimeter to play alongside FVV, OG and Pascal. Raps need firepower and while Porzingis can give you 20+ he needs someone to get him the ball and I'm not sure a late game offense centered around FVV/Porzingis/Siakam is good enough. If Porzingis precludes bringing in that other guy, and it very well might given the contract, then it isn't worth it.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I could talk myself into Porzingis. He checks a lot of boxes and I'm confident Nurse can work with him defensively. The injuries combined with that contract term are a big issue, though.

However, working backwards, this team's biggest need is a shot creator and shot maker on the perimeter to play alongside FVV, OG and Pascal. Raps need firepower and while Porzingis can give you 20+ he needs someone to get him the ball and I'm not sure a late game offense centered around FVV/Porzingis/Siakam is good enough. If Porzingis precludes bringing in that other guy, and it very well might given the contract, then it isn't worth it.
                      Trey Burke will be in the deal, so done & done.

Comment

• What about Steven Adams? He's kind of that glue guy rebounder we want, tough, fits the culture. Younger than I thought he was (27)..New Orleans still can't figure out why they're not winning....

Lowry and Baynes for Adams and Ball. Maybe NWO wants to push to be relevant, and adding Lowry to Ingram, Zion and Bledsoe makes a nasty core
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post

Maybe add Jokic to you list?
                          Yes yes of course

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            What about Steven Adams? He's kind of that glue guy rebounder we want, tough, fits the culture. Younger than I thought he was (27)..New Orleans still can't figure out why they're not winning....

Lowry and Baynes for Adams and Ball. Maybe NWO wants to push to be relevant, and adding Lowry to Ingram, Zion and Bledsoe makes a nasty core
                            Adams can't stretch the floor even a little bit, and Nurse loves shooters, so I dunno.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

This.

FVV's confidence is getting higher as the season continues and he's looking ready to take over the full time PG duties for this team. What we need now is a stud at SG and a decent defensive big that isn't a total liability on offence. Kristaps' contract would likely hinder our chances of getting that type of SG.

Got to wonder what a Lowry/Powell package is worth on the trade market these days?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Not sure how serious you are, but they don't need an all star level guy at that spot. Just someone who is a good defender and can score through the flow of a game without plays run for him. Sort of like OG really, just bigger ideally.
                                Im actually serious.

I am not sure if it was you or someone else but it was suggested that Lowry should warrant a return of assets like the one that the Grizz had gotten for Marc Gasol.

...it was for JV, CJ Miles, Delon Wright and a second round pick

would want that massive haul for Lowry.

Vucecic or KAT

and my suggestion as well for Embiid and someone added Jokic...though the latter two most likely a pipe dream.

why I also mentioned getting Cousins, without giving up any assets. Live body who is serviceable in special situations.

otherwise it is a lateral move (Lowry)

Comment

Working...
                                X