Who Should Be Traded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

If the three teams are Philly, Miami or LAC how do you rank the prospects?

Let's say they are: Thybulle (Philly), Robinson or Achiuwa (Miami) or Zubac (LAC)?

I'd go: Zubac, Achiuwa, Robinson, Thybulle in that order.

Zubac is only 23.. and we need help at C. Long term fit IMO.

If we want a FRP pick then Miami/LAC are tough targets (both owe to OKC).. Philly makes most sense then too.
    The best course might be to address the needs for a big through free agency (John Collins?). Why be limited to only teams willing to trade for Lowry?

Comment

If the three teams are Philly, Miami or LAC how do you rank the prospects?

Let's say they are: Thybulle (Philly), Robinson or Achiuwa (Miami) or Zubac (LAC)?

I'd go: Zubac, Achiuwa, Robinson, Thybulle in that order.

Zubac is only 23.. and we need help at C. Long term fit IMO.

If we want a FRP pick then Miami/LAC are tough targets (both owe to OKC).. Philly makes most sense then too.
      I have heard there is a lot of lingering animosity at MLSE toward the Clippers organization. Doubt that would preclude a deal if one made sense but something to keep in mind. If I were a betting man, I would not be putting any money on a LAC deal.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

The best course might be to address the needs for a big through free agency (John Collins?). Why be limited to only teams willing to trade for Lowry?
        John Collins will cost too much.. would mean getting rid of Norm and Boucher as well as Lowry, unless we trade for him to retain his bird rights.

We can try to use the mid-level on someone like Holmes or Theis.. but I do like Zubac more than I like any of those other prospects I listed.. and not just because he's a big. It certainly helps that he's a big though.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I have heard there is a lot of lingering animosity at MLSE toward the Clippers organization. Doubt that would preclude a deal if one made sense but something to keep in mind. If I were a betting man, I would not be putting any money on a LAC deal.
          Fair point.. didn't consider that.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

That's... very limited value for Lowry. I'd rather hold onto him in that case.

The one good thing out of that most recent rumour is the Heat and 76ers can both make real offers, which might help drive up each of their bids to the level of offer the Raptors would be happy with if both teams are truly interested.
            Lowry is a 35 year-old rental in a weird Covid year. How much value do you think you're going to get back? It's not like we're trading Luka here. If we wanted value back for Lowry, he should have been traded last year, but that wasn't possible because we hugely over-exceeded expectations after Kawhi left. All of the superstars on contenders (except Kawhi) are locked up long-term or contented, so there isn't really any pressure for them to overpay for Lowry. And a lot of contender draft assets are in the hands of young rebuilding teams whose timeline doesn't fit Lowry.

I get what you're saying.... the market for Lowry is soft, so hold on to the asset and "hope" to retain it in the off-season, or use the asset in a sign & trade. The question is what strategy is riskier: sell low now or hold & hope?

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
              So how about this:

To Chicago - Lowry, McCaw.

To Toronto - Markkanen, Porter.

You keep hearing the name Lonzo Ball associated with the Bulls because they need a starting PG. Lowry > Ball.

Raptors get a good young player in Markkanen who imo is a Nick Nurse type of player.

That is better than anything the 76ers could offer imo.
              You had me at McCaw.

And you're not getting Markkanen for a Lowry rental. lol. C'mon.

Otto Porter could be a nice piece if you can re-sign him for cheap. It would make OG expendable in a trade, while he has some hype value as a young player.

Comment

Oh, if he wants to stay I'd bet they pay him, especially if he only wants a short term deal like that.

I disagree with your assessment of the return. Unless they can get a franchise changing talent back, odds are no one will be talking about the Lowry trade down the road in any terms other than looking back at the legacy of how the franchise treats their star players.
                Fair enough but I think you're living in a bit of a romanticized past.
                If he walks for nothing, THAT'S what you'll hear talked about; another star (even after winning a chip) didn't feel like staying here.

Star players move in FA every year now
                Star players get traded even more often

Just not to here .... no one bats an eye after 72 hours

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Lowry is a 35 year-old rental in a weird Covid year. How much value do you think you're going to get back? It's not like we're trading Luka here. If we wanted value back for Lowry, he should have been traded last year, but that wasn't possible because we hugely over-exceeded expectations after Kawhi left. All of the superstars on contenders (except Kawhi) are locked up long-term or contented, so there isn't really any pressure for them to overpay for Lowry. And a lot of contender draft assets are in the hands of young rebuilding teams whose timeline doesn't fit Lowry.

I get what you're saying.... the market for Lowry is soft, so hold on to the asset and "hope" to retain it in the off-season, or use the asset in a sign & trade. The question is what strategy is riskier: sell low now or hold & hope?
                  If Lowry is looking at $20M+ contract offers in the summer (the article you referenced said $30M).. than he's limited as well. Miami could make that happen, same with Dallas. But Philly and LAC can't unless we do a S&T.

It's really an interesting predicament. I think his free agency could look a lot like his last free agency. Where he hopes he can get a deal with a team (like San Antonio at the time) but begrudgingly takes the Raptors offer because they are paying or wanting him the most. Or maybe Toronto plays hard ball like they did with Serge.

Either way, I don't think he settles for the full mid-level which is all LA or Philly can really offer I think.

So hold and hope can work here I think.

Comment

I don't think we have any real intel on whether it's likely or not.

If we keep him there is a very real chance he re-signs. I don't think I've ever thought it was a given.
                    I really feel he's leaning to leaving; there's been plenty of clues. House for sale, "Fred is the heir apparent" and articles saying he's open to leaving. All hearsay but pointing to the same thing. He only stays if we're the only contender open to him and paying a premium imo.

He's more susceptible to injuries, he's only getting older and the team plays fine without him. He's just not worth $30M X 2 any more.
                    Based partially on what they just invested in him, time to let FVV (and Norm and Flynn) increase the load.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Prescient

If that is prescient.... what do call this?

One month earlier:

golden wrote: View Post

These salaries work:

Lowry to Sixers.
                      Scott/Green/Ferguson to Cavs.
                      Drummond to Raptors.

Comment

John Collins will cost too much.. would mean getting rid of Norm and Boucher as well as Lowry, unless we trade for him to retain his bird rights.

We can try to use the mid-level on someone like Holmes or Theis.. but I do like Zubac more than I like any of those other prospects I listed.. and not just because he's a big. It certainly helps that he's a big though.

I thought we have a decent chunk of cap space to offer Collins, if we let Lowry walk?

There would be a lot of options for Nurse with both Pascal and Collins out there with FVV, OG and Norm/Flynn/Davis.

Comment

If Lowry is looking at $20M+ contract offers in the summer (the article you referenced said $30M).. than he's limited as well. Miami could make that happen, same with Dallas. But Philly and LAC can't unless we do a S&T.

It's really an interesting predicament. I think his free agency could look a lot like his last free agency. Where he hopes he can get a deal with a team (like San Antonio at the time) but begrudgingly takes the Raptors offer because they are paying or wanting him the most. Or maybe Toronto plays hard ball like they did with Serge.

Either way, I don't think he settles for the full mid-level which is all LA or Philly can really offer I think.

So hold and hope can work here I think.
                          Lowry, and his agent, would obviously also realize that by holding him, the Raptors are not allowing him to go where he wants AND allowing him to be re-signed over the cap next year by the Sixers. Basically, Raptors would be limiting his max earning options to us and cap space teams. Would he consider that doing him dirty?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I thought we have a decent chunk of cap space to offer Collins, if we let Lowry walk?
                            We might be able to if we dropped Baynes, Boucher, Norm and Lowry. Which were the conditions for Giannis.. but we also needed OG to not get extended and he did.

We don't have much cap left if we want to keep Boucher and/or Norm.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Lowry, and his agent, would obviously also realize that by holding him, the Raptors are not allowing him to go where he wants AND allowing him to be re-signed over the cap next year by the Sixers. Basically, Raptors would be limiting his max earning options to us and cap space teams. Would he consider that doing him dirty?
                              Then we can get a sign and trade done.. and it's a win win - except the team that gets him is hard capped for a year.

Comment

Oh, if he wants to stay I'd bet they pay him, especially if he only wants a short term deal like that.

I disagree with your assessment of the return. Unless they can get a franchise changing talent back, odds are no one will be talking about the Lowry trade down the road in any terms other than looking back at the legacy of how the franchise treats their star players.
                                Hey Dan, how big is Norms cap hold assuming he opts out this offseason? Assuming Lowry turns into expirings and a rookie contract or two, could we keep Norm and Boucher while retaining any relavent cap space?

Comment

Working...
                                X