No announcement yet.

Who Should Be Traded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing, but consider the teams and coaches he's played for. Not looking for a superstar to get us over the hump by acquiring Dipo, just a player sort of in a similar class to FVV/OG. A guy that can replace Lowry and potentially Norm's scoring if they walk, and can help keep our defence up to the standards we've become accustomed to.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

It's a big gamble.. because bringing in Dipo surely means no more Norm or Lowry and possibly Boucher depending on his asking price. I'm not really a fan of his. I think he's become overrated. He had one really great season but then that's it. And he's had an 8 year career. It's not like he's a rookie or anything.

Norm will be cheaper too because he doesn't have an all-star on his resume.

Our biggest need is at C anyway. If we're losing Norm and Lowry I'd get a big so that we don't have to rely on small ball all the time.
      I'm not a huge fan either, but if Norm and Lowry walk we need someone that can consistently get us in the range of 20ppg, ottherwise our offence would crater.
      Also, would rather see the bulk of committed cap space got to a guard or wing as opposed to a big. Just more of a versatile position in my opinion.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

If Norm, Kyle, Baynes, Stanley, McCaw all leave / gets waived.. we have about $23M in cap space. If Boucher gets waived too, we'll have about $30M.
        So basically enough for an elite player and no one left to play with

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I'm not a huge fan either, but if Norm and Lowry walk we need someone that can consistently get us in the range of 20ppg, ottherwise our offence would crater.
          Also, would rather see the bulk of committed cap space got to a guard or wing as opposed to a big. Just more of a versatile position in my opinion.
          I don't think Norm is walking though unless we boot him out the door. The Serge/Marc situations were unique because we were chasing Giannis. That's not something we are looking at now.

I would bring in Norm and hope Kyle sticks around. Either way our goal has to be to get a better big this off season. If we can nab one via trade, that works too.

As for the wing/guard.. well we have Fred and Pascal taking most of our cap... Pascal plays like a wing.. he just has more length and less power. OG is your prototypical SF and he's locked in as well. Bring Norm back and our back court is good. Bring Kyle back and its more than good.

From a roster construct we need bench scoring and a decent center. For bench scoring we rely on our youth. Flynn will have one more year on his resume. Boucher can get you 10-15ppg. We'll have another FRP coming in. Harris in the G-League is looking like a player. Bembry might get better (he's still only 26). Davis had a crappy season but he's had that lawsuit over his head. Maybe he matures a bit too.

We're just really thin at C.. That's the position we have to fix.

But sure, if we lose Norm and Kyle we will definitely need more scoring to replace them. I'd rather have DeMar than Oladipo though. Which is saying a lot actually lol.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            Disappointing, but consider the teams and coaches he's played for. Not looking for a superstar to get us over the hump by acquiring Dipo, just a player sort of in a similar class to FVV/OG. A guy that can replace Lowry and potentially Norm's scoring if they walk, and can help keep our defence up to the standards we've become accustomed to.
            It's actually the opposite, regarding teams and coaches. The Pacers built the whole system around Dipo, so his numbers should have been better the year following his breakout season, but they tanked, or rather, reverted back to his mean. The easiest parlour trick to do in the NBA is making a PG/SG's numbers look good. Yet Dipo failed that test, even before the injury. That speaks to his talent. The one good year he had looks like a fluke, in hindsight, even pre-injury.

And the Pacers still did pretty well in the regular season while he was injured, so you can't really point to poor coaching. Nate McMillian is pretty much a Casey doppelganger.... very good regular season coach who stumbles in the playoffs when adjustments need to be made.

If you're just looking for a 3rd option SG, then you've got a whole raft of less risky options that aren't near the max like Dipo. Unless he's going to sign for a huge bargain, to compensate for the risk, then he's not even worth considering.

Comment

• I think Dipo is still quite good, but yeah he's one of those B level players who ends up overpaid relative to those above and below him just because of the CBA/cap structure. That's the main risk with him.

He moves the ball well and gets to the rim through traffic probably better than any current Raptor. Not sure his defence is where it was pre-injury but I don't watch him much so I don't know.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

Probably the only realistic deal involving the players you listed. But, we certainly dont need Harris, so it would be great to find that 3rd team that could use him and give us value for Lowry. Denver is interesting to me, cause MPJ is hurting their defence, and is young with a ton of potential. Harris might be a better fit for them, if they can stomach his contract. I've thought alot about Denver, what about:

Raps get Beal
                Philly gets Lowry
                Den gets Harris
                Wiz get MPJ + expirings and picks.

That would be the basis, plus parts and picks where necessary. Biggest issue there is that Den might be just as well to deal with Washington directly. They might prefer Beal to Harris (who wouldn't?) even though there is some overlap with Jamal.
                Wiz traded for Westbrook I very much doubt the will trade Beal now. I could be wrong

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  I think Dipo is still quite good, but yeah he's one of those B level players who ends up overpaid relative to those above and below him just because of the CBA/cap structure. That's the main risk with him.

He moves the ball well and gets to the rim through traffic probably better than any current Raptor. Not sure his defence is where it was pre-injury but I don't watch him much so I don't know.
                  That's a really low bar and probably incorrect, re: Powell.

Comment

I think Dipo is still quite good, but yeah he's one of those B level players who ends up overpaid relative to those above and below him just because of the CBA/cap structure. That's the main risk with him.

Hes definitely good, and probably can reach all star status again with a good year if he shoots the lights out, but yeah hes in that tier where unless he really fits what you want to do and comes at a decent price you are better off spending money elsewhere. We dont really need another playmaker unless they can score really well tbh. If Oladipo says he just wants to take a discount to come here and revive his career cool, just not a priority. Id make an exception for Lonzo just cause I think anyone under 24 with that vision can be special even though he’ll never be much in the halfcourt.

Comment

• Sources have knicks interested in Oladipo, so stands to reason they may be interested in Powell as well. Dolan doesnt wanna trade with masai anymore but Powell seems like a thibs kinda guy. If we could get a first out of the deal I'm all for it. Masai never picks below 20 and it would be a great chance to
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Yeah, when he's healthy he can be a difference maker. He started the season off strong for Indiana, then the trade happened and looks like things started going south from there. Missed a bunch of games and as you know being in and out of the line up can stop players from getting into a rhythm. Houston is also a mess, so that doesn't help. Would be a huge gamble at the price he's asking for though.

Comment

Really think they've ended up in a spot where it's better to keep the assets and try to make trades, pretty high risk that you can't replace that talent with $23m cap space, you might end up worse off.

This is still a pretty good team with some room for internal growth as some key guys are still developing and a couple decent prospects are in house. Leap to very good is going to need to be a trade opportunity. That means you need: solid players on good contracts, prospects, and picks in your cupboard. They're getting there as guys like Norm, Boucher, even Bembry show some value. Flynn and Davis still need to show something but the potential is there.
                          Yeah may as well re-up everyone and hang in the weeds for a trade. Free agent class of 2021 is weak. Despite our whole strategy since the old Derozan extension being "keep the books clean for the 2021 offseason", now that we're about to hit it, when have neither cap space nor targets.

So I'd just hang in there with the assets we have (which like you say it's a pretty good team, 4ish in the conference), develop internally, get a young serviceble C, and we'll be right back to the level we were pre-Kawhi trade.

I wouldn't splurge assets on a C either, that's a not a position in today's game that will move the needle much (unless it's a unicorn like Embiid or Jokic). Just need a young C that can anchor the paint and be a good pnr target. Re-up the assets and use them to get a high-scoring wing instead, if the trade is there.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Sources have knicks interested in Oladipo, so stands to reason they may be interested in Powell as well. Dolan doesnt wanna trade with masai anymore but Powell seems like a thibs kinda guy. If we could get a first out of the deal I'm all for it. Masai never picks below 20 and it would be a great chance to
                            Yeah im for this as well. Knicks are probably overachievig a bit but getting Rose and maybe Norm puts em in fringe playoff territory. Two picks in the 10-20 range is pretty nice tbh. Can maybe move up to get a guy you really like a couple picks ahead of you, pick two guys or use them in a trade for a player.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Yeah im for this as well. Knicks are probably overachievig a bit but getting Rose and maybe Norm puts em in fringe playoff territory. Two picks in the 10-20 range is pretty nice tbh. Can maybe move up to get a guy you really like a couple picks ahead of you, pick two guys or use them in a trade for a player.
                              Why would the Knicks give up 2 FRPs for Powell, if they can sign him outright into cap space in the off-season? And especially from what I'm reading, they have their sights set on bigger targets like Lavine and Beal, which in that case, they'd want to hold their powder for the off-season for potential trade scenarios.

Knicks are already massively overachieving this year, especially by Knicks standards, so I don't think the front office feels any pressure to do anything mid-season.

BTW - how much DogeCoin are you holding? lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Why would the Knicks give up 2 FRPs for Powell, if they can sign him outright into cap space in the off-season? And especially from what I'm reading, they have their sights set on bigger targets like Lavine and Beal, which in that case, they'd want to hold their powder for the off-season for potential trade scenarios.

Knicks are already massively overachieving this year, especially by Knicks standards, so I don't think the front office feels any pressure to do anything mid-season.

BTW - how much DogeCoin are you holding? lol.
                                Sorry should have been more clear, one of those picks would be ours, only expecting 1 pick for Norm. Thinking Knicks might want to gear up to make the playoffs (already made the Rose trade) and though they could just sign Norm, might have a better chance and not have to vastly overpay if you trade now. Think theyll have pressure to make the playoffs, and have a decent shot of doing so if they add some offense.

Real big missed opportunity on the DogeCoin front, im embarrassed to say.

Comment

Working...
                                X