Raptors to honour Jalen Rose & others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    He's also one of the few players that when I think about, I think of as a Raptor.

Guys like VC (Nets), McGrady (Orlando/Houston) and Oakley (Knicks) had their 'glory days' elsewhere. I think franchise greats should be players that are widely associated with the franchise in question - the Raps have very few of these. It's also why I still consider Mighty Mouse a borderline all-time Raptor great, despite the way he left, because he helped put the brand new franchise on the NBA map.
    Axel wrote: View Post
    True, his career was 90% Raptors and was probably our best ever draft pick (in terms of value for the draft slot).

For all the "Demar loves Toronto" fanfare, Mo Pete was the original "loves Toronto" guy. This guy IS the Toronto Raptors.
    Only past players that come to mind in that group would be Mo Pete and Alvin Williams.

But re: DeMar not being at that level - DeMar and Amir are entering their 6th seasons with the Raps. Mo Pete only had 7 seasons in Toronto and Alvin Williams had 6.5 seasons here. I'm not sure it's sunk in that DD and Amir are at that level of "commitment to the city" already. I know BC's contract offers made it relatively easy for them to re-sign here, but these guys love it in T.O. They've never wavered or waffled on being here.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
      Only past players that come to mind in that group would be Mo Pete and Alvin Williams.

But re: DeMar not being at that level - DeMar and Amir are entering their 6th seasons with the Raps. Mo Pete only had 7 seasons in Toronto and Alvin Williams had 6.5 seasons here. I'm not sure it's sunk in that DD and Amir are at that level of "commitment to the city" already. I know BC's contract offers made it relatively easy for them to re-sign here, but these guys love it in T.O. They've never wavered or waffled on being here.
      I'm not saying Demar isn't at any level, but that has always been one of (if not the) first things people have always said was great about Demar. And while it is true, Mo Pete was the first player that was really said about (Alvin Williams being the other) and in the history of players leaving, it was a bigger deal then IMO.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Interesting panel. I wonder if there are others. I thought the vince pic was small (given Bosh's) but I guess that's a classic pose. I think JYD must know some people

Comment

Missing: Antonio Davis, Charles Oakley and Doug Christie.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Right....since you clearly know nothing of our team's history; here's a quick lesson.

Mo Pete is the Raptors all-time leader in games played and 3PFG (attempted and made).
              He is 2nd all-time in Minutes Played and Steals.
              He is 4th all-time in FG made, Defensive Rebounds, Points and Win Shares (Offensive, Defensive and Combined).
              He is 5th all-time in Offensive Rebounds, 6th in Free Throws, 6th in Total Rebounds, 8th in Assists.

He was 1st Team All-NBA Rookie, and is the Franchise Leader in Playoff Games Played. He also played in 371 consecutive games, so he's the franchise's ironman record holder.

So how is he just a fan favourite and replaceable?
              I dunno, to me, the first stat (all-time leader in games played) is the one that creates all of the following ones you listed.

If, say, you start looking at average-based stats, he falls out of basically every top ten list.

The ironman streak is impressive; other than that, I don't think he was especially impactful.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                Interesting panel. I wonder if there are others. I thought the vince pic was small (given Bosh's) but I guess that's a classic pose. I think JYD must know some people

They should have put Zan Tabak on there for laughs.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                  Davis was willing to come back though, so that should be worth something, he could have pulled an Alonzo on us, but chose to come back, I know he came back late, but that was because he needed some time to clear his head after coming back from a suspension where he ran into the stands.
                  Davis came back because he had to, not because he wanted to. Unlike Alonzo, he was not willing to risk losing salary. A little after he came back, when the Raps. asked him to stay home, he gladly did (since he was still getting paid).
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                    They should have put Zan Tabak on there for laughs.

What about Rafael Araujo

"Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                      Davis came back because he had to, not because he wanted to. Unlike Alonzo, he was not willing to risk losing salary. A little after he came back, when the Raps. asked him to stay home, he gladly did (since he was still getting paid).

not true, he injured his back badly, and he was going to be out for the rest of the season. That's why let him go home.
                      Last edited by peanutwoozle; Fri Oct 10, 2014, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Right....since you clearly know nothing of our team's history; here's a quick lesson.

Mo Pete is the Raptors all-time leader in games played and 3PFG (attempted and made).
                        He is 2nd all-time in Minutes Played and Steals.
                        He is 4th all-time in FG made, Defensive Rebounds, Points and Win Shares (Offensive, Defensive and Combined).
                        He is 5th all-time in Offensive Rebounds, 6th in Free Throws, 6th in Total Rebounds, 8th in Assists.

He was 1st Team All-NBA Rookie, and is the Franchise Leader in Playoff Games Played. He also played in 371 consecutive games, so he's the franchise's ironman record holder.

So how is he just a fan favourite and replaceable?
                        1st team All NBA Rookie, wasn't it that rookie class that was the weakest draft ever in 2000? Nothing special.
                        371 consecutive games - meaningless in terms of winning.
                        all-time leader in games played - meaningless in terms of winning.

stats mean nothing if you're a losing team.

Also, you do realize when he left he lost his starting spot to Rasual freakin' Butler, pathetic, so yeah, he is definitely nothing more than a fan favorite.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          I dunno, to me, the first stat (all-time leader in games played) is the one that creates all of the following ones you listed.

If, say, you start looking at average-based stats, he falls out of basically every top ten list.

The ironman streak is impressive; other than that, I don't think he was especially impactful.
                          Yes, playing the most games definitely gives him a boost in all the categories, but we aren't trying to say who's the best Raptor of all time, but rather who is deserving of recognition and honour for our history. To say that Mo Pete wasn't impactful to our team history is moronic.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

1st team All NBA Rookie, wasn't it that rookie class that was the weakest draft ever in 2000? Nothing special.

Also, you do realize when he left he lost his starting spot to Rasual freakin' Butler, pathetic, so yeah, he is definitely nothing more than a fan favorite.
                            All time leader in PLAYOFF games played; not meaningless to winning.

I know you're just being your usual Troll-self here, but why do you even bother? Based on your logic, we shouldn't even celebrate 20 years because we haven't won anything. Hold off any ceremonies until we have a Championship!!

Comment

not true, he injured his back badly, and he was going to be out for the rest of the season. That's why let him go home.
                              Injured players usually accompany the team. Management should feel the presence of a veteran invaluable even if he's unfit to play. Instead they felt otherwise.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

When a team decides to honor a former player, it does not do so based on wins or losses. It does so based on his ALROUND contribution, on and off the court. If a close Raptors follower was asked to name former fan favorites, he/she would name JYD or Matt Bonner. Definitely not MoPete. It's the first time that I'm hearing anyone refer to him as a fan favorite. Solid "team play" was what MoPete was known for. He was unfairly removed from the starting line up because the team which was taking a different direction was soon to cut ties with him.
                                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X