Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors to honour Jalen Rose & others?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Settle down with the insults, I meant impactful on a game to game basis. Game to game, nothing about his numbers or his play distinguished himself from the middle class of NBA players. He had a very replaceable game; sorry, but it's true. Most, if not all, of his impact is due to the fact that he stayed here for so long.
    Of course he had a "replaceable game" and the majority of players of any teams roster have replaceable games. That has nothing to do with "honoring players".

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Settle down with the insults, I meant impactful on a game to game basis. Game to game, nothing about his numbers or his play distinguished himself from the middle class of NBA players. He had a very replaceable game; sorry, but it's true. Most, if not all, of his impact is due to the fact that he stayed here for so long.
    But the topic has nothing to do with game to game and everything to do with history. So to say that he isn't impactful to our history, would be moronic.

    Leave a comment:


  • CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Settle down with the insults, I meant impactful on a game to game basis. Game to game, nothing about his numbers or his play distinguished himself from the middle class of NBA players. He had a very replaceable game; sorry, but it's true. Most, if not all, of his impact is due to the fact that he stayed here for so long.
    In his prime, Mo-P was a prototypical '3&D' wing. He was a fantastic perimeter defender and a great scorer. He also played within himself and within the team's game plan. Had he not wasted his prime years playing on some pretty awful Raptors teams, I think he could have been a much more memorable NBA player; I see a lot of Mo-P in a player like Kawhi Leonard of the Spurs, who is thriving in a much more beneficial situation and making a name for himself, being exactly the type of player that Mo-P was for years.

    Leave a comment:


  • JimiCliff
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    Yes, playing the most games definitely gives him a boost in all the categories, but we aren't trying to say who's the best Raptor of all time, but rather who is deserving of recognition and honour for our history. To say that Mo Pete wasn't impactful to our team history is moronic.
    Settle down with the insults, I meant impactful on a game to game basis. Game to game, nothing about his numbers or his play distinguished himself from the middle class of NBA players. He had a very replaceable game; sorry, but it's true. Most, if not all, of his impact is due to the fact that he stayed here for so long.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    Actually, releasing him made the most sense. Team doctors diagnosed his back as season ending, he was going to retire at the end of the year with his contract expiring, why delay the inevitable, and it opens up a roster spot for the 10-day market.
    Let me remind you of that trade. To Knicks : Jalen Rose and 1st rounder.
    To Raptors: Antonio Davis.

    Davis was acquired because his contract was expiring not because of the contribution he could make. In other words, the trade was made for the contract not the player. I can't say what happened behind closed doors as far as Management was concerned, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was disliked and therefore let go.

    One can tell from a players demeanor whether he's a good influence or not. While Davis said all the right things, deep inside he hated being here and it obviously wouldn't have done anybody any good. The injury may have been a blessing in disguise for both parties.

    Again speculation but very possibly true.

    Leave a comment:


  • e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Look man. If Jalen Rose is "worthy" of honour, there's no question Mo Pete is

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    team play? you mean his career average of 1.4 APG in 27 MPG? That looks more like a ball hog. Also, Jalen wasn't the only one defending Kobe when he got 81, guess who else was, that's right, Mo Pete.


    I have asked fans around the league, they laugh at how overrated Mo Pete was with this team.
    "Determined" is the key word here. It seems like you are determined not to like MoPete.

    When I say "team play", I'm talking about effort. The willingness to do what the Coach requires of you to the best of your ability. In important times of games, rarely were there times when MoPete was not on the Court. This is because he was reliable and willing. He was able to do the "out of the ordinary" things like a circus shot, or a timely game changing three pointer, box people out for a difficult rebound, alter a players shot with good defence etc. Did he have the talent to carry the team on his shoulders? Of course not. A solid team man was what he was. Certainly worthy of "honor".

    Leave a comment:


  • white men can't jump
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    I think all of his comments on RR already accomplished that.
    Well if they hadn't, that one definitely pushed it over the top.

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Did you just call Mo Pete a ball hog? Way to make a completely ludicrous statement that will make everything you say on this subject sound completely uninformed and baseless.
    I think all of his comments on RR already accomplished that.

    Leave a comment:


  • white men can't jump
    replied
    peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    team play? you mean his career average of 1.4 APG in 27 MPG? That looks more like a ball hog. Also, Jalen wasn't the only one defending Kobe when he got 81, guess who else was, that's right, Mo Pete.


    I have asked fans around the league, they laugh at how overrated Mo Pete was with this team.
    Did you just call Mo Pete a ball hog? Way to make a completely ludicrous statement that will make everything you say on this subject sound completely uninformed and baseless.

    Leave a comment:


  • peanutwoozle
    replied
    Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    When a team decides to honor a former player, it does not do so based on wins or losses. It does so based on his ALROUND contribution, on and off the court. If a close Raptors follower was asked to name former fan favorites, he/she would name JYD or Matt Bonner. Definitely not MoPete. It's the first time that I'm hearing anyone refer to him as a fan favorite. Solid "team play" was what MoPete was known for. He was unfairly removed from the starting line up because the team which was taking a different direction was soon to cut ties with him.
    team play? you mean his career average of 1.4 APG in 27 MPG? That looks more like a ball hog. Also, Jalen wasn't the only one defending Kobe when he got 81, guess who else was, that's right, Mo Pete.


    I have asked fans around the league, they laugh at how overrated Mo Pete was with this team.

    Leave a comment:


  • peanutwoozle
    replied
    Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    Injured players usually accompany the team. Management should feel the presence of a veteran invaluable even if he's unfit to play. Instead they felt otherwise.
    Actually, releasing him made the most sense. Team doctors diagnosed his back as season ending, he was going to retire at the end of the year with his contract expiring, why delay the inevitable, and it opens up a roster spot for the 10-day market.
    Last edited by peanutwoozle; Sat Oct 11, 2014, 12:33 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    When a team decides to honor a former player, it does not do so based on wins or losses. It does so based on his ALROUND contribution, on and off the court. If a close Raptors follower was asked to name former fan favorites, he/she would name JYD or Matt Bonner. Definitely not MoPete. It's the first time that I'm hearing anyone refer to him as a fan favorite. Solid "team play" was what MoPete was known for. He was unfairly removed from the starting line up because the team which was taking a different direction was soon to cut ties with him.
    Matt Bonner was awesome!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    1st team All NBA Rookie, wasn't it that rookie class that was the weakest draft ever in 2000? Nothing special.
    371 consecutive games - meaningless in terms of winning.
    all-time leader in games played - meaningless in terms of winning.

    stats mean nothing if you're a losing team.

    Also, you do realize when he left he lost his starting spot to Rasual freakin' Butler, pathetic, so yeah, he is definitely nothing more than a fan favorite.


    When a team decides to honor a former player, it does not do so based on wins or losses. It does so based on his ALROUND contribution, on and off the court. If a close Raptors follower was asked to name former fan favorites, he/she would name JYD or Matt Bonner. Definitely not MoPete. It's the first time that I'm hearing anyone refer to him as a fan favorite. Solid "team play" was what MoPete was known for. He was unfairly removed from the starting line up because the team which was taking a different direction was soon to cut ties with him.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    not true, he injured his back badly, and he was going to be out for the rest of the season. That's why let him go home.
    Injured players usually accompany the team. Management should feel the presence of a veteran invaluable even if he's unfit to play. Instead they felt otherwise.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X