Raptors Rebrand Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Do you mean by the white logo being released first? Because I assure you that's not the case. The grey on black has been derided by pretty much every design person who's weighed in so far. Every poll I've seen, the dislikes outweigh the likes, and I haven't seen any Raptors players rep or speak positively of the new logo.

If it was just the botched release that was the issue, the reaction wouldn't have been so severely negative. If they had released the grey-on-black first, people might not have made the Brooklyn comparison (which I personally think is the weakest argument against the logo), but they still would have reacted negatively to the logo's colours and general lack of character.
    Every design person? Dude I work at a design agency. While that doesn't mean anything, neither does your argument about "every design person deriding" it.

Also remember that shitty petition about changing the logo that was supposedly picking up steam? It hasn't at all. It's at something like 1700 signatures. More people care about changing the ending to the new Assassins Creed game than changing the logo.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
      Every design person? Dude I work at a design agency. While that doesn't mean anything, neither does your argument about "every design person deriding" it.

Also remember that shitty petition about changing the logo that was supposedly picking up steam? It hasn't at all. It's at something like 1700 signatures. More people care about changing the ending to the new Assassins Creed game than changing the logo.
      Terrible ending.

Comment

Do you mean by the white logo being released first? Because I assure you that's not the case. The grey on black has been derided by pretty much every design person who's weighed in so far. Every poll I've seen, the dislikes outweigh the likes, and I haven't seen any Raptors players rep or speak positively of the new logo.

If it was just the botched release that was the issue, the reaction wouldn't have been so severely negative. If they had released the grey-on-black first, people might not have made the Brooklyn comparison (which I personally think is the weakest argument against the logo), but they still would have reacted negatively to the logo's colours and general lack of character.
        Fair enough on your point.

I'm not sure every design person thinks its bad but...

For me the "lack of character" comes across as a classic design. One we don't have to switch every ten years when it gets dated. That's just me though..

To me, a lot of the best logos become that way because of the rest of the brand.

for reference, all the logos in the league:

Last edited by stooley; Sun Dec 28, 2014, 10:28 AM.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post

So you think the grey on black works? Because that was the only argument I was making about people who work at design shops. They've basically said that's a big design error, which is why you never see it.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
            Fair enough on your point.

I'm not sure every design person thinks its bad but...

For me the "lack of character" comes across as a classic design. One we don't have to switch every ten years when it gets dated. That's just me though..

To me, a lot of the best logos become that way because of the rest of the brand.

for reference, all the logos in the league:

I thought the claw was classic. Heck it's been around forever and is totally recognizable. Looks great in multiple colors. They could have just made that the primary and made the watermelon the secondary. The dino was definitely outdated though.

Comment

So you think the grey on black works? Because that was the only argument I was making about people who work at design shops. They've basically said that's a big design error, which is why you never see it.
              just want to point out that it will likely be more of a silver, with a metallic quality. the gold looked a lot better on the merchandise in metallic than in the facebook post.

Scraptor wrote: View Post
              I thought the claw was classic. Heck it's been around forever and is totally recognizable. Looks great in multiple colors. They could have just made that the primary and made the watermelon the secondary. The dino was definitely outdated though.
              I agree that the claw was pretty good. For me the only issue was that it looked kind of crappy on apparel. The hats with the claw look kinda lame, and so do warm ups with the claw on the breast.

I think the very frequent use of the old logo is kind of a sign that this one wasn't catching on. At the same time, I'm not sure going back to the old one would be very wise, the 90s won't be in forever.
              Last edited by stooley; Sun Dec 28, 2014, 06:46 PM.
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• https://www.behance.net/gallery/2227...aptors-Concept
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• The Raptor looks like a baby Pokemon and the whole concept reminds me of Dallas' logo.

A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                    just want to point out that it will likely be more of a silver, with a metallic quality. the gold looked a lot better on the merchandise in metallic than in the facebook post.

I agree that the claw was pretty good. For me the only issue was that it looked kind of crappy on apparel. The hats with the claw look kinda lame, and so do warm ups with the claw on the breast.

I think the very frequent use of the old logo is kind of a sign that this one wasn't catching on. At the same time, I'm not sure going back to the old one would be very wise, the 90s won't be in forever.
                    "Bruno?
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23
                    Where's Bruno....?

hee heeee hehehehee

happy new year dickles!

Comment

• On the logo.

The new stuff is tight.

I like it.

I could care less if we stole Brooklyns look, stole their Swag, thier place in the standings, their respect and half their fans too.

"nice logo littledicks, we'll be using it from now on..... chumps"

fuck Brooklyn.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                        Where's Bruno....?

hee heeee hehehehee

happy new year dickles!

Still much time!
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• SI's New Year's resolution for the Raptors:

Toronto Raptors: Take a mulligan on the new logo.

This is a fascinating breakout moment in the history of an expansion franchise: Toronto is poised to host the 2016 All-Star Game, the Raptors are playing their best basketball ever, Drake is hovering around the periphery generating buzz in various ways, and Canadian fans are rallying around the team’s “We The North” slogan with shocking devotion.

The stakes are high enough here that the front office shouldn’t hesitate in admitting that they totally botched the release of the team’s new logo earlier this month. That’s a bitter pill to swallow for executives, but the organization that crafted the iconic purple dinosaur jerseys can do better than the “claw marks on a basketball” logo that they fumbled out to a skeptical reaction. Many fans seemed wounded that the new mark was so close to the Brooklyn Nets’ logo – a nonsensical vision given GM Masai Ujiri’s careful cultivation of that rivalry during last year’s playoffs – and it’s definitely worth going back to the drawing board for a more original design that better reflects the Raptors’ unique character. New jerseys are reportedly on the way, too, which only ups the urgency factor. It’s better – in both the short and long term – for the decision-makers to get the logo right rather than stubbornly stick to what they’ve put forward.
                          http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/31/nba...ames-cavaliers

Comment

• With all the "baby pokemon/raptor" comments that've been floating around the web, this one made me laugh...

(and I agree, this logo isn't the grown-up fierce look a professional sports team needs; send him down to the D-League for a bit )

Comment

• I thought this was kind of cool ...

Perhaps not to this extent, but a nice, deep ebony Chestnut Hardwood floor would be DOPE.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                                I thought this was kind of cool ...

Perhaps not to this extent, but a nice, deep ebony Chestnut Hardwood floor would be DOPE.
                                NBA wouldnt allow it, it's dope though.
                                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                                X