Raptors Rebrand Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Maybe he meant the claw. I think the claw was reaching classic levels. Most of the Raptors fans reddit flairs are claws, most of the merchandise was claws... it's a simple, effective, and unique look.

The new logo is so generic and forgettable. The latest thing it reminds me of is a Hawaiian shirt, I'm not even sure why.
    I personally like the new logo a lot better than the claw. The version that is in that court mock-up above is awesome. At least to me it is, because this shit is subjective as hell. When it comes to logos, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      I personally like the new logo a lot better than the claw. The version that is in that court mock-up above is awesome. At least to me it is, because this shit is subjective as hell. When it comes to logos, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
      The court logo is cool, but I think I don't like the logo as shown on SI is because of the grey. The on court red version is significantly better to me, so maybe that is an easy tweak.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        The court logo is cool, but I think I don't like the logo as shown on SI is because of the grey. The on court red version is significantly better to me, so maybe that is an easy tweak.
        Agree on the grey/silver, that's the only part of the logo that bugs me.

Comment

Our original logo could be around for 100 years and it would still be silly and stupid looking. It wasn't even a good design by early 90's standards. Our new logo isn't amazing, but it's a hell of a lot better than an anthropomorphic velociraptor wearing a basketball jersey and basketball shorts dribbling a basketball. Reminds me of those early 90's shirts with anthropomorphic dogs that said "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
          I agree, but that's the point - that original Barney screams "mid-90's!" which, like it or hate it, is this team's heritage. Just like the original Bucks logo screams 60's NBA, this is what the Raptors franchise is. A mid-90's expansion team inspired by a dinosaur movie based on a Michael Chrichton book. That awkward/unglamorous history is who the Raptors are and I don't mind embracing it. Nobody's gonna fool me into thinking this is a Yankees/Canadiens/Celtics heritage franchise by designing a nice minimal logo with a classic look (what's with the college lettering on the proposed jersey font?) - that has nothing to do with a 1995 NBA expansion team.

This stuff has a much more unique identity than the new logo:
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            I agree, but that's the point - that original Barney screams "mid-90's!" which, like it or hate it, is this team's heritage. Just like the original Bucks logo screams 60's NBA, this is what the Raptors franchise is. A mid-90's expansion team inspired by a dinosaur movie based on a Michael Chrichton book. That awkward/unglamorous history is who the Raptors are and I don't mind embracing it. Nobody's gonna fool me into thinking this is a Yankees/Canadiens/Celtics heritage franchise by designing a nice minimal logo with a classic look (what's with the college lettering on the proposed jersey font?) - that has nothing to do with a 1995 NBA expansion team.

So basically better to embrace the uniqueness than fall into line with the times?

I kinda agree; one of the reasons why I have always been against any potential name change. Who cares if the Raptors are named after a movie franchise, better that than to become 1 of 50 teams named Huskies.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

The Bucks don't use that 60's logo anymore though, and haven't in a super long time, because it's terrible, just like our original logo. Even Boston has some pretty bad logo's back in the day and modernized their look.

This was the Celtics logo for about 20 years from 50' - 68'.

Comment

The Bucks don't use that 60's logo anymore though, and haven't in a super long time, because it's terrible, just like our original logo. Even Boston has some pretty bad logo's back in the day and modernized their look.

This was the Celtics logo for about 20 years from 50' - 68'.

Yea that Celtics leprechaun looks like an Irishman smoking crack, as drawn by an Irishman smoking crack.

I love the original Bucks logo - it's hilarious. The new one looks really good, too, but the menacing animal thing is a bit overdone. Instead of making a Buck with angry eyes, why not just go all the way and call yourselves the BearLionTigerEagleSharkFalconHuskieCats. Just like everybody else. Angry animals with sharp teeth and claws - grrrrrr. The opponent is intimidated.

Anyway, of course it's just a matter of personal taste and I spent years hating the dinosaur myself. Something about the 20th anniversary and seeing the purple uniforms on the court again has brought me full circle.

Since Day 1, baby:

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• really feeling this one though. One thing about that logo is that there's more application for it. I have seen so many variations already.
                  Last edited by MixxAOR; Fri May 1, 2015, 06:42 PM.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      These are nice but I like the trim on home/away ones on the previous ones better

That black alternate is gorgeous though

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                        These are nice but I like the trim on home/away ones on the previous ones better

That black alternate is gorgeous though
                        Yeah I agree that Black Alternate jersey is amazing
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Is this official or are we still looking at fan mock ups with too much time on their hands
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Is this official or are we still looking at fan mock ups with too much time on their hands
                            These are all guesses as to what they'll look like.
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• those are dope
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'd like to see "Toronto" on one of the home/ Away Jerseys. Otherwise, these are pretty crisp.

Comment

Working...
                                X