No announcement yet.

Raptors Rebrand Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea the dark red looks nice. I wasn't a fan of the way the Raptors 905 court looks just because of the red. But if our court is closer to this dark red in 2K, I like it!

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      Whoa, looks nice (the court and the game).
      You know what looks completely terrible though? The clippers jerseys!
      A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• NBA Logo ranks. some interesting tips from Grantland about something new coming up.

8. TORONTO RAPTORS

Prediction: This logo ages well after a rocky start. Some fans miss the dinosaur, and the Raptors first leaked a black-and-white version that had the lunatic fringe of Brooklyn fans accusing Toronto of stealing its motif. “If they think that, hopefully it fans the flames of our rivalry,” says David Freeman, the head of brand marketing at Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.

Toronto has focused its new image around “We The North,” a slogan that captures the feeling of being outcasts in a league where every other team plays in the U.S. “It’s our way of embracing everything people say is crappy about us,” Freeman says. “That it’s cold here, that you need your passport, all of it.”

You could argue this is just another name-on-ball job, but I love the integration of the Raptor claw into the lacing of the ball — a touch that suggests the damage a dinosaur can do without actually showing the dinosaur. Aren’t movie monsters scarier offscreen? “Most teams with animal names just illustrate what the team is,” says Koukodimos, who helped design the logo. “We wanted to break from that.” Outsiders need to be different, after all.

The Raptor name fits that image, and the team plans to keep it in perpetuity, despite regular cries to switch to Huskies — or something else, Freeman says. Husky dogs are everywhere; almost no one else uses a dinosaur mascot. The Raptors will produce a new Husky uniform for 2016 to honor the 70th anniversary of the Toronto Huskies from the defunct Basketball Association of America, but that’s as far as they plan to go, Freeman says. There are also some new secondary marks coming.

This logo is a nifty way to keep the Raptor name while distancing the team from Jurassic Park, the 1993 film that inspired the mascot. “There is a generation of people who loved that film,” Koukodimos says. “And then there are people who say, ‘Why the heck are we named after a freaking movie from 1993?’”
        http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...logo-rankings/

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
          NBA Logo ranks. some interesting tips from Grantland about something new coming up.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...logo-rankings/
          That's pretty cool. So everyone who was clamoring to change to the Huskies will be able to buy a fresh new Huskies jersey next year. Also good news about the secondary marks. I figured there had to be than just the primary logo and its partials.

Comment

• So the retros will be Husky jerseys? Cool beans.

Comment

• Yeah, in the end teams trot out so many vintage, alternate, and "________ night" jerseys now that it hardly matters what the primaries are. If you want to go buy one for yourself, you'll have half a dozen to choose from at the least.

That said, I still think in going for the minimalist look the new unis are risking just being uninspired and boring instead, but whatever We're just cheering for laundry.

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Loving the fact new Huskies gear is being made.
                Axel wrote:
                Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                KeonClark wrote:
                We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                KeonClark wrote:
                I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

The writer called it elite territory to be anywhere 1-11, so we're firmly in elite territory. I'm a fan of the new logo, so it's nice to see an impartial judge rate it so highly. Our new jerseys are even better than the new logo too.

Comment

• Has anyone else noticed how the Raptors are using this logo more than the supposed "main" logo?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I love the rebrand Drake did a great job. New jerseys are dope!
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Has anyone else noticed how the Raptors are using this logo more than the supposed "main" logo?

It's growing on me and I'm Raptors For Life, so I don't mind it as much as I used to. The all red looks decent.

Comment

• Looked pretty good on to me.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed how the Raptors are using this logo more than the supposed "main" logo?

I thought this is the main logo.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                I thought this is the main logo.
                                Primary logo:

Alternate logo:

We've been using the alternate a whole lot more than the primary. Which is cool because the new logo looks a lot better being one solid color and without the circle around it.

Comment

Working...
                                X