GAME #23 Toronto Raptors vs Atlanta Hawks - Feb 6 - 8:00PM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

I kinda disagree on Davis - hes just not that good yet. His only NBA lebel skill is finishing, hitting jumpers and attacking closeouts. With that skill set you dont have much to fall back on when your shot isnt falling. Hes not good enough to deserve a consistent role. My goal for him would be to fill in for Powell when he leaves, but hes not ready. Until then we have a set 7-8 guys and Nurse should just fill in the rotation with whoever is on that night. None of the bench guys 8-12 have been lights out, but have flashed potential so Im fine with giving them all a look.
    The Atlanta game was a huge L for the bench group (e.g. Bembry, Yuta, Stanley), though. Their calling card is defense, and we allowed a season high 132 pts and got torched from 3. What I don't understand is why Davis was good enough for a consistent role last year, but is getting whipsawed this year. His development is getting mis-managed, IMO. Defense should be something you would expect a coaching staff to be able to help a player develop, especially in year 2. I'm still not 100% sold on Nurse as a development coach, other than high-energy defensive grinder types.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The Atlanta game was a huge L for the bench group (e.g. Bembry, Yuta, Stanley), though. Their calling card is defense, and we allowed a season high 132 pts and got torched from 3. What I don't understand is why Davis was good enough for a consistent role last year, but is getting whipsawed this year. His development is getting mis-managed, IMO. Defense should be something you would expect a coaching staff to be able to help a player develop, especially in year 2. I'm still not 100% sold on Nurse as a development coach, other than high-energy defensive grinder types.
      I think they believe that davis is there offensively, and its hard not to share that assessment. He has the ability to shoot, handle the ball and create. But i think they are giving him the hard line on D. Basically, figure it out and execute on the floor or you wont get the PT. Im not sure I agree with the approach, but it seems like he wont get unleashed until he can be a consistent defender.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

eh Im ready to just say we have different evaluations of the roster 8-12. I disagree with the perception that TD is a good offensive player with some lapses defensively oozing potentailq - hes just not a well rounded player yet. Hes still very reliant on teammates to get him the ball in his spots - hes great as a cutter, on the catch and shoot and attacking a closeout. These skills translate really well to transition play as well. Hes not a guy you give the ball and a screener and say “go create.” His court vision, decision making and handle arent good so he turns the ball over a lot and doesnt generate a bunch of chances. Its just not in his game yet. His subpar discipline abd awareness which lead to lapses on defense also give him blinders on offense - occasionally missing the simple pass and instead looking to score. This sums up my problem with TD, hes out there to score and if hes not doing that you have no clue what hes going to give you on the night. A lot of young guys come into the league like that, he reminds me of T.Ross or Norm. I think he’ll figure it out, but I really dont think his potential is worth prioritizing over the development of other bench guys or winning games - hes not that good. He also didnt have a super consistent role last year either - often follow up good games with a dnp and vice versa.

I like Bembry more as a guy who is all around very solid, fits into any lineup, and so what if he only averages 5 pts a night. Hes a budget Iguodala, those type of players are super valuable.

Comment

Working...
        X