Announcement

Collapse

Raptors Republic Android & iOS App

Hey guys and gals,

We're running a, how should I say, pilot or beta version of our new Raptors Republic app. We haven't made it official as we're still trying to work out some bugs while improving the user interface. So, its not the final version so expect to see more changes over the next while.

Anyhow, please feel free to download. Available on both Android & iPhone. It's absolutely free.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rsrepublic.app

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6946?ls=1&mt=8

If we could ask a favour though. We're welcoming feedback and suggestions on perhaps things you'd like to see. At the end of the day we're doing this for you guys by making everything here easier available for you the user. Please send your feedback (Regardless if its positive or negative) to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance and we hope you guys enjoy the application.
See more
See less

Who makes up MLSE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    its a funny thread because its all based upon and being debated upon complete speculation and misinformation.

    Comment


    • #32
      CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      You started out by implying that there are two types of owners: those who only care about profitability and those who only care about winning.

      I (and others) have been trying to explain that the two things aren't mutually exclusive and that, more often than not, winning is in fact the most effective way to maximize your profitability.
      They are not mutually exclusive--you inferred that I did. I am trying to open a discussion about what motivates people. Knowing what motivates people makes understanding how they do things contextual. For example if owner A spent every day thinking of ways to make their team better and considered cost issues primarilarly as a means to meet their primary objective I would consider that the ideal owner. If owner B spends every day thinking how to make money and decides as a means to that end to spend money on a free agent to market to their fan base as a means to sell tickets and make money I would consider that owner a business owner. Owner B is less likely to be successful than owner A.

      Comment


      • #33
        psrs1 wrote: View Post
        They are not mutually exclusive--you inferred that I did. I am trying to open a discussion about what motivates people. Knowing what motivates people makes understanding how they do things contextual. For example if owner A spent every day thinking of ways to make their team better and considered cost issues primarilarly as a means to meet their primary objective I would consider that the ideal owner. If owner B spends every day thinking how to make money and decides as a means to that end to spend money on a free agent to market to their fan base as a means to sell tickets and make money I would consider that owner a business owner. Owner B is less likely to be successful than owner A.
        The owner isn't responsible for any of that though. The owner simply provides the GM with a budget. Personnel decisions rest with the GM, not the owner.

        The only reason I got involved in the discussion is because you started out by stating that owners cared about 1 of 2 things: profits or winning. I disagreed with the sentiment of mutual exclusivity, which you've now backed away from.

        My argument is that most owners are actually 'Owner C', who wants to be profitable and understands that one of the most effective means of ensuring long-term profitability is winning. Having a desire to win (including providing the GM with a sufficient budget to do so) and actually winning, are two different things. Just spending money doesn't ensure winning. An owner could give a GM an unlimited budget, but it's ultimately the GM's decisions that determines whether or not the team wins.

        Your premise that a financially motivated owner is automatically going to be less successful than a performance motivated owner is faulty, for multiple reasons. First, spending does not equate to success. Second, the owner doesn't decide how to spend the money, regardless of what the budget is.

        Comment


        • #34
          Yeah, let's not assume that Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban represent all owners.

          Comment


          • #35
            psrs1 wrote: View Post
            They are not mutually exclusive--you inferred that I did. I am trying to open a discussion about what motivates people. Knowing what motivates people makes understanding how they do things contextual. For example if owner A spent every day thinking of ways to make their team better and considered cost issues primarilarly as a means to meet their primary objective I would consider that the ideal owner. If owner B spends every day thinking how to make money and decides as a means to that end to spend money on a free agent to market to their fan base as a means to sell tickets and make money I would consider that owner a business owner. Owner B is less likely to be successful than owner A.
            I get the concept about the passionate owner, but I think you'd have a hard time historically correlating spending to team success. There are critical moments when teams need to be willing to open the wallet to take the next step (see: OKC & Harden, James), but across the board it's pretty damn difficult to provide evidence for your argument that sports owner with passion = willingness to spend = team success.

            I gave the example of Cuban, the paragon of this type of owner in the NBA, cheaping out the season after his championship. I thought Cuban was the guy to not do that?

            You know who spends a lot? The New York teams. The Nets have the highest payroll in the league this year, and the Knicks are third highest. You know what their spending gets them? Ridicule, not championships.

            In fact, the Raps have the 10th highest payroll in the league this year per basketballreference.com, but you're trying to argue MLSE is one of the "business owners." Mark Cuban? 22nd highest payroll. Defending champion San Antonio Spurs? 21st highest payroll. Bringing Lebron James and Kevin Love to the NBA's newest superteam in Clevland? The Cavs payroll is lower than Toronto's, 13th highest.

            With all due respect I think you're talking about ideals, about the way things "should be" without looking historically at whether or not passionate ownership = spending = more winning is true.

            You know what produces more winning? Competence. I think it's that simple.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

            Comment


            • #36
              What will Leiweke do next? Here's some smoke...

              http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-joint-venture
              “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”

              J.M. Keynes

              Comment


              • #37
                CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                The owner isn't responsible for any of that though. The owner simply provides the GM with a budget. Personnel decisions rest with the GM, not the owner.

                The only reason I got involved in the discussion is because you started out by stating that owners cared about 1 of 2 things: profits or winning. I disagreed with the sentiment of mutual exclusivity, which you've now backed away from.

                My argument is that most owners are actually 'Owner C', who wants to be profitable and understands that one of the most effective means of ensuring long-term profitability is winning. Having a desire to win (including providing the GM with a sufficient budget to do so) and actually winning, are two different things. Just spending money doesn't ensure winning. An owner could give a GM an unlimited budget, but it's ultimately the GM's decisions that determines whether or not the team wins.

                Your premise that a financially motivated owner is automatically going to be less successful than a performance motivated owner is faulty, for multiple reasons. First, spending does not equate to success. Second, the owner doesn't decide how to spend the money, regardless of what the budget is.
                Agree to disagree. What motivates you in life ?

                Comment


                • #38
                  S.R. wrote: View Post
                  I get the concept about the passionate owner, but I think you'd have a hard time historically correlating spending to team success. There are critical moments when teams need to be willing to open the wallet to take the next step (see: OKC & Harden, James), but across the board it's pretty damn difficult to provide evidence for your argument that sports owner with passion = willingness to spend = team success.

                  I gave the example of Cuban, the paragon of this type of owner in the NBA, cheaping out the season after his championship. I thought Cuban was the guy to not do that?

                  You know who spends a lot? The New York teams. The Nets have the highest payroll in the league this year, and the Knicks are third highest. You know what their spending gets them? Ridicule, not championships.

                  In fact, the Raps have the 10th highest payroll in the league this year per basketballreference.com, but you're trying to argue MLSE is one of the "business owners." Mark Cuban? 22nd highest payroll. Defending champion San Antonio Spurs? 21st highest payroll. Bringing Lebron James and Kevin Love to the NBA's newest superteam in Clevland? The Cavs payroll is lower than Toronto's, 13th highest.

                  With all due respect I think you're talking about ideals, about the way things "should be" without looking historically at whether or not passionate ownership = spending = more winning is true.

                  You know what produces more winning? Competence. I think it's that simple.
                  You do need competence . How owners view life philosophically does impact the decision making process . I would submit to you that what motivates you in life will have a profound impact and what you do in life and how you spend your money....being passionate does not guarantee success. If you have an emotional attachment to a team , however, that is a good thing. Sometimes that can lead to over spending. Pro sports today , in my view , has become so focused on the business aspect that the sport and emotional component has become significantly less important. Why are we all posting on this forum...because we have an emotional attachment to the Raptors. If we didn't care we wouldn't follow nor post.

                  If you could trade owners with Dallas ; MLSE --all board members straight up for Mark Cuban would you do it?

                  In fact a moderator should do a poll on that question....

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    Agree to disagree. What motivates you in life ?
                    psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    You do need competence . How owners view life philosophically does impact the decision making process . I would submit to you that what motivates you in life will have a profound impact and what you do in life and how you spend your money....being passionate does not guarantee success. If you have an emotional attachment to a team , however, that is a good thing. Sometimes that can lead to over spending. Pro sports today , in my view , has become so focused on the business aspect that the sport and emotional component has become significantly less important. Why are we all posting on this forum...because we have an emotional attachment to the Raptors. If we didn't care we wouldn't follow nor post.

                    If you could trade owners with Dallas ; MLSE --all board members straight up for Mark Cuban would you do it?

                    In fact a moderator should do a poll on that question....
                    Man with all due respect you just ignore most of the points and questions people are bringing up and respond with some abstract rambling. It's really wearing thin.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Man with all due respect you just ignore most of the points and questions people are bringing up and respond with some abstract rambling. It's really wearing thin.
                      Then don't respond. The most valid point in all the discussion is the owners who in trying to make money spend to put a competitive product on the floor.

                      You don't work for MLSE do you?

                      What motivates you ?

                      The psychology of sports as it relates to business is highly relevant. How people think frequently determines what they do.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        Then don't respond. The most valid point in all the discussion is the owners who in trying to make money spend to put a competitive product on the floor.

                        You don't work for MLSE do you?

                        What motivates you ?

                        The psychology of sports as it relates to business is highly relevant. How people think frequently determines what they do.
                        I think the question we need to ask is:

                        How much influence does one person's passion for the game, amongst a group of owners, have to alter the product on the court?

                        In the case of Rogers/Bell/MLSE, I would suggest the answer is little-to-none.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          psrs1 wrote: View Post
                          Then don't respond. The most valid point in all the discussion is the owners who in trying to make money spend to put a competitive product on the floor.

                          You don't work for MLSE do you?

                          What motivates you ?

                          The psychology of sports as it relates to business is highly relevant.
                          How people think frequently determines what they do.
                          Bold 1: This has been discussed, points have been raised, questions have been asked. You don't further the discussion by responding to any of them. You respond every time by ignoring all the previous comments and re-asking (a dozen times) Bold 2.

                          I hate "you don't know how to have a discussion" posts and can't believe I'm writing one, but this thread has the potential to be a lot more interesting if you'd move forward with the rest of us in a discussion that actually is addressing your questions. If that question honestly interests you I'm not sure why you're so disinterested in the responses.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            S.R. wrote: View Post
                            Bold 1: This has been discussed, points have been raised, questions have been asked. You don't further the discussion by responding to any of them. You respond every time by ignoring all the previous comments and re-asking (a dozen times) Bold 2.

                            I hate "you don't know how to have a discussion" posts and can't believe I'm writing one, but this thread has the potential to be a lot more interesting if you'd move forward with the rest of us in a discussion that actually is addressing your questions. If that question honestly interests you I'm not sure why you're so disinterested in the responses.
                            You talk about non responses yet fail to respond to questions I raise.....Probably best that we both ignore each other.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              I think the question we need to ask is:

                              How much influence does one person's passion for the game, amongst a group of owners, have to alter the product on the court?

                              In the case of Rogers/Bell/MLSE, I would suggest the answer is little-to-none.
                              Good post. Your latter statement is true.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X