Can DeMar surpass Harden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can DeMar surpass Harden?

Right now, even with DeMar's improvement last year there's still a pretty big gap between them. Neither is a great defender, but Harden is terrible while DeMar is at least solid so DD wins out there. But Harden is simply a better offensive player at this point. Better at setting up his teammates (although his decision making is terrible sometimes, especially in the playoffs), better shooter, better at drawing fouls, much more efficient scoring the ball, etc.

BUT... is it possible for DeRozan to pass him despite the gap? What are people's thoughts?

They're similar players in many respects, but Harden is one of the league's most efficient volume scorers because he draws a superhuman amount of fouls and he shoots well from deep. If DeRozan can trade most of his mid-range attempts for three-pointers while shooting ~37 percent from deep, the gap would be much narrower.

Comment

ddaylewis wrote: View Post
      They're similar players in many respects, but Harden is one of the league's most efficient volume scorers because he draws a superhuman amount of fouls and he shoots well from deep. If DeRozan can trade most of his mid-range attempts for three-pointers while shooting ~37 percent from deep, the gap would be much narrower.
      Do-able

Comment

Reboc wrote: View Post
        Do-able
        Easier said than done, though. How many seasons in a row have we been hearing about DeRozan's push to improve his three-point shooting?

That being said, his three-ball has looked pure in preseason

Comment

ddaylewis wrote: View Post
          Easier said than done, though. How many seasons in a row have we been hearing about DeRozan's push to improve his three-point shooting?

That being said, his three-ball has looked pure in preseason
          Yeah his 3 point shot is looking smooth in preseason.

DD was actually shooting 38% from 3 when Rudy was still on the team

Edit: DeMar shot 21-54 from 3 when Rudy was one the team last season
          Last edited by MACK11; Sun Oct 12, 2014, 07:46 PM.
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
            Yeah his 3 point shot is looking smooth in preseason.

DD was actually 38% from 3 when Rudy was still on the team
            Yeah but that was 67 attempts over 18 games. Not a huge sample but it's promising. Not sure exactly why Rudy would help with DeMar's three-point percentage, unless Rudy was always garnering the tougher defender.

Comment

just play defense.
              harden is elite at scoring, and really good at handling the ball and passing. mixed with horrible on defense.

he will never get the accolades from the states though

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                just play defense.
                harden is elite at scoring, and really good at handling the ball and passing. mixed with horrible on defense.

he will never get the accolades from the states though
                I'd also probably give DeMar the slight edge in intangibles, mainly leadership, though I also suppose this is totally subjective. I think Harden has way more prima donna in him, since DeMar has basically shown none of that type of personality so far. Also Harden's total laziness on D is a terrible thing in the "lead by example" sense. Even as bad as DeMar has been at times, his effort is more consistent there. Feel like DeMar never puts himself ahead of the team in any way, or thinks of himself as the star who should get his own set of rules.

DeMar just strikes me as much more of a team-first guy than Harden, and probably commands more respect and gets along better with the guys in his locker room.

*I think DeMar has Duncan-like leadership potential with his "quiet", workmanlike type character...remember that it also took Duncan a few years to blossom into any kind of vocal leader.

Comment

Dfensively? DeRozan is alreayd wayyyyyyyyy better than Harden.

Offensively? it's going to be tough for DeMar to surpass Harden. Harden is an elite scorer, the guy can shoot from everywhere and can handle the ball like a PG.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

i still think derozan is the better all around-scorer
                    harden is completely dependant on the whistle, and has dwight to draw attention

hardens not that bad of a defender, but his defensive lapses are because hes looking to take off the other way for an easy layup

when he cant get his confidence up from fast break points in the playoffs, hes pretty much invisible

if derozan had someone that consistently draws a double, he would be scary good

Comment

I think it's possible that DeRozan has a "better" season than Harden in the upcoming years, and maybe even as early as next season. But it won't be because he all of a sudden surpasses him as a three point shooter or in EFG% or whatever.

It will be because DD has rounded out his own game, shored up some of his inefficiencies, and overall is more of a positive player for his team than Harden despite the differences in some of their stats.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                        I think it's possible that DeRozan has a "better" season than Harden in the upcoming years, and maybe even as early as next season. But it won't be because he all of a sudden surpasses him as a three point shooter or in EFG% or whatever.

It will be because DD has rounded out his own game, shored up some of his inefficiencies, and overall is more of a positive player for his team than Harden despite the differences in some of their stats.
                        ...and to change up the question a little bit...."who would your rather have on the Raptors right now, DD JH?" I think most of us would pick Demar.

Comment

Can DeMar surpass Harden?

draps wrote: View Post
                          i still think derozan is the better all around-scorer
                          harden is completely dependant on the whistle, and has dwight to draw attention

hardens not that bad of a defender, but his defensive lapses are because hes looking to take off the other way for an easy layup

when he cant get his confidence up from fast break points in the playoffs, hes pretty much invisible

if derozan had someone that consistently draws a double, he would be scary good
                          Ummm so is derozan. If he didnt get to the line at an elite level, his inefficient shooting would still be highlighted as a huge glaring issue. Luckily DDs numbers get padded by his FT attempts and makes.

Comment

If there was one way for DeMar to pass Harden offensively, it would probably be in the post. Harden has no post game. DeMar has started to develop some post moves just like Kobe has.

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
                              ...and to change up the question a little bit...."who would your rather have on the Raptors right now, DD JH?" I think most of us would pick Demar.
                              You must be kidding, right? If anyone would take DD over JH, they need to get their head examined. JH isnt perfect, I agree with that, but he is an awesome scorer. People kind of slip in "if DD could just improve his 3 pt shooting", like its a simple thing to do. Its not like we are asking DD to shed a few pounds or even to take the ball to the hole more (which is a skill he has shown, but perhaps should just go to more).

DD will never be an elite 3 pt shooter .. he just doesnt have the mechanics or ability. With hard work, he might become serviceable shooting OPEN 3s (right now hes pretty bad shooting OPEN 3s). Harden is great shooting contested 3s and pull ups (not to mention his ability to get to the hoop and get fouled).

Long story short, DD is making good progress, but Harden is a big, big leap

Comment

Working...
                              X