Game #33 Toronto Raptors vs. Houston Rockets - 7:30 Eastern TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

He only makes $10M/yr which is a lower standard than 20ppg.
    not for long if he keeps playing like this
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yeah and even though that's true, when he doesn't put up the 20 or have a difficult defensive game the pitchforks come out and the tune is "He's 'inconsistent', trade his ass". Underrated inside-outside scorer that turned tons games for us and it's playing high end ball, is what he is.
      If we're going by inconsistency, Fred is at the top. His last game put him at exactly 40% FG. Norm is currently hovering around 48% FG and 43% 3PT.

Looking at Norm's game logs, out of his last 20 or so games, the only inconsistent bad game I can say he had was the first game against Philly last week. He has been the definition of consistent for a large part of this season.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

If we're going by inconsistency, Fred is at the top. His last game put him at exactly 40% FG. Norm is currently hovering around 48% FG and 43% 3PT.

Looking at Norm's game logs, out of his last 20 or so games, the only inconsistent bad game I can say he had was the first game against Philly last week. He has been the definition of consistent for a large part of this season.
        I mean inconsistency is kinda part of the game shooting wise, its everything else that needs to remain consistent imo. Ive seen a lot more improvement there from Norm/Fred/Siakam this season but especially over the last 20 or so games. That being said, Norms a legit three level scorer who gets to the line so even his bad games should remain efficient. Not totally fair to Freddy who has upped his ft rate as the year went on, improved his midrange game and is an elite three point shooter - if you are only going to look at overall fg % you are just putting on blinders.

Norms development is awesome, in many ways hes become the player we hoped he would after his rookie season. That being said, hes largely 1 dimensional meaning hes a great scorer and pretty average to below average everywhere else. Thats the best skill to have, but at the same time when hes not scoring hes a net minus, compared to Fred, OG, Lowry who are basically always causing more good than bad. Siakam is largely a plus guy, when hes not overly tilted from an off night. At some point you have to pick who to keep with a core when you arent actively contending, id prefer to move Norm for a variety of reasons. If the cap werent a thing though, Id love to keep Norm around.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

I mean inconsistency is kinda part of the game shooting wise, its everything else that needs to remain consistent imo. Ive seen a lot more improvement there from Norm/Fred/Siakam this season but especially over the last 20 or so games. That being said, Norms a legit three level scorer who gets to the line so even his bad games should remain efficient. Not totally fair to Freddy who has upped his ft rate as the year went on, improved his midrange game and is an elite three point shooter - if you are only going to look at overall fg % you are just putting on blinders.

Norms development is awesome, in many ways hes become the player we hoped he would after his rookie season. That being said, hes largely 1 dimensional meaning hes a great scorer and pretty average to below average everywhere else. Thats the best skill to have, but at the same time when hes not scoring hes a net minus, compared to Fred, OG, Lowry who are basically always causing more good than bad. Siakam is largely a plus guy, when hes not overly tilted from an off night. At some point you have to pick who to keep with a core when you arent actively contending, id prefer to move Norm for a variety of reasons. If the cap werent a thing though, Id love to keep Norm around.
          Agreed. Shooting is the one thing players can't always control, in Freddy's case, he is a very good 3 point shooter, but struggles around the 3-10ft area from the rim, which given his height isn't surprising. There are areas on the floor where Fred is elite and some he struggles in and why his FG% doesn't look particularly good. There are parts of Freddy's game that I'm not a fan of, but he has improved every year including this year. He is getting much better at using picks to seal defenders behind him and pulling up from mid range. He will always remain a good defender and can contribute in many ways.

Considering OG, Pascal and Fred have already signed long term and are likely the core of this team, you have to make a decision on Norm and whether or not you trade him while he remains a consistent 20 PPG scorer or keep him long term. I think Norm's ideal role is sixth man like a Lou Williams, can score a lot of points, but not great anywhere else, do you pay to keep that type of player around when you're not a contender?

Comment

• Is fred really that good of a 3 pt shooter? 84th in the league. Only steph in that top 84 shoots more of them. If TD shot .3 better from 3 we could have a starting lineup of lowry, TD, Norm, OG and Bouch all shooting better than fred from deep. As a shooting guard Id say norm, TD, Thomas and Watson all shoot better than fred from 3

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Agreed. Shooting is the one thing players can't always control, in Freddy's case, he is a very good 3 point shooter, but struggles around the 3-10ft area from the rim, which given his height isn't surprising. There are areas on the floor where Fred is elite and some he struggles in and why his FG% doesn't look particularly good. There are parts of Freddy's game that I'm not a fan of, but he has improved every year including this year. He is getting much better at using picks to seal defenders behind him and pulling up from mid range. He will always remain a good defender and can contributep in many ways.

Considering OG, Pascal and Fred have already signed long term and are likely the core of this team, you have to make a decision on Norm and whether or not you trade him while he remains a consistent 20 PPG scorer or keep him long term. I think Norm's ideal role is sixth man like a Lou Williams, can score a lot of points, but not great anywhere else, do you pay to keep that type of player around when you're not a contender?
              Very well put AI, totally agree. One thing Id add is you have to consider if Norm would really embrace a 6 man role long term. One thing if you are a contender and sacraficing for a championship, but tough to buy in when you may just be a second round out. Norm has earned a starting spot, the big contract, etc. but Im not sure I want to be the one to give it to him.

Comment

• I guess we can hold off on the game thread for today 🙁

Last edited by Jclaw; Sun Feb 28, 2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                  I guess we can hold off on the game thread for today 🙁

So Siakam COVID confirmed.
                  And how many members of the Coaching staff?

Comment

• This is going to be one long all star break

Comment

• Time to resurrect “Everything Coronovirus” from the Sprechen Sie �ber Alles Nicht Basketball forum?

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                        This is going to be one long all star break
                        I'm thinking record low viewership for this one .... looking for a few more stars to develop mystery illnesses
                        Really thinking the NBA should have made the hard decision and skipped this one

Comment

• Bontemps has more to say about the postponement here:
                          https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ulls-postponed

Sucks if we have to bump all three games to later in the season. Will definitely mean more back to backs.

Comment

• I said this before the Houston game - it's nearly inconceivable that one star player and nearly the entire coaching staff would need to sit out for protocol, but not anybody else. It the transmission risk has gotten that far, then I guarantee it involves more people given the kind of contact the players and coaches have on a daily basis. The NBA's process is just too slow moving to work its way through an entire team in time for games. A certain amount of this is inevitable given that they're playing anyway.

Hope everyone's alright in the short and long term. That persistent shortness of breath thing is definitely concern for pro athletes.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              I said this before the Houston game - it's nearly inconceivable that one star player and nearly the entire coaching staff would need to sit out for protocol, but not anybody else. It the transmission risk has gotten that far, then I guarantee it involves more people given the kind of contact the players and coaches have on a daily basis. The NBA's process is just too slow moving to work its way through an entire team in time for games. A certain amount of this is inevitable given that they're playing anyway.

Hope everyone's alright in the short and long term. That persistent shortness of breath thing is definitely concern for pro athletes.
                              They could start by banning/discouraging the hugging stuff before and after games. Not sure if it would make any difference considering they've been blowing on each other all game but it's better than nothing and sends a good message if nothing else

Comment

• Stupid rule.
                                how many athletes has died or gotten seriously ill from the virus?

Right.
                                Z E R O.

Comment

Working...
                                X