No announcement yet.

They're Baccckkk !!! Bill and Jalen 2014-15 NBA Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the subject of podcast ... ESPN's NBA Lockdown is back ... Great listen ... They got rid of boring Bruce Bowen !!! ... Ryen Russillo was the best when he had the gig ..

Comment

Shirokin wrote: View Post
      A lot of guys on this forum were eating crow last year lol.
      Lol yup, as in a majority of the people here. I trusted in the process, feeling we can build for the future and win at the same time and still do. Gee guys, wouldn't it be great to be like the Sixers heading into this season? Numberr one Pickxkkxzzz!! Smh.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Are they back? It looked like the end of the Indiana preview was a joke (suggesting they weren't going to do any more previews) but it's been a few days and the season starts in a few more. Did they really just put all they're effort into the grantland basketball hour? BTW, it's on right now on ABC

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
          Are they back? It looked like the end of the Indiana preview was a joke (suggesting they weren't going to do any more previews) but it's been a few days and the season starts in a few more. Did they really just put all they're effort into the grantland basketball hour? BTW, it's on right now on ABC
          The Indiana preview was the last one they did.. and they won't be doing any more. That was the last one they taped before Simmons' suspension. Was looking forward to the Raptors preview too

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            The Indiana preview was the last one they did.. and they won't be doing any more. That was the last one they taped before Simmons' suspension. Was looking forward to the Raptors preview too
            No more previews stinks. And the new 'Grantland Basketball Hour' is a very poor substitute. ESPN sucks.

Comment

symbot wrote: View Post
              No more previews stinks. And the new 'Grantland Basketball Hour' is a very poor substitute. ESPN sucks.
              My first impression of the new show was that the informality, intimacy, inside jokes, and tongue-in-cheek schticks all don't translate well to the live studio audience ESPN format. I like the original podcast/made-for-YouTube stuff better.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                My first impression of the new show was that the informality, intimacy, inside jokes, and tongue-in-cheek schticks all don't translate well to the live studio audience ESPN format. I like the original podcast/made-for-YouTube stuff better.
                100%

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good preview to catch on youtube? I've seen NBA TVs and the Starters, and I thought both weren't the best. On that note though, I still don't know how the Starters are still on. I liked the two guys who were on theScore, but I mean that show right now is just a joke IMO.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    The visual gags are just to awkward to set-up for tv broadcast. They kill the flow of the conversation.

It's obvious right now that Jalen is more self-conscious on television, and struggling between being podcast-Jalen or network Jalen. It seems like Bill wants him to more of his true self on TV though, but that's a tough scenario for any Black man in America —*trusting that 'the mainstream' will 'get' or appreciate how you act with your family and friends without stereotyping you. To the average minority, mainstream media seems to reward and accept people that conform to mainstream White Culture more often than not.

Jalen is definitely at his finest with Jacoby, who is bascially the perfect wingman for him. Jacoby is just more knowledgeable and comfortable with hip hop and black culture, and you can tell Jalen doesn't feel the need to filter himself or 'translate' what he means — Jacoby just 'gets' him. And Jacoby never looks to deliver punchlines or make a point, he just asks all the questions that let's Jalen run his mouth.

What's interesting about the preview this year is that you can tell that Bill was making in effort to include more hip-hop and cultural references for Jalen to riff off of, but you can tell even Jalen felt like it was unnatural and forced.

Well, that's enough internet pop psychology for one night. Shutting up now.
                    Last edited by bryan colangelo; Mon Oct 27, 2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Bill and Joe House have over/under podcast out right now which is better then Jalen and Bill's podcast ...

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
                        Bill and Joe House have over/under podcast out right now which is better then Jalen and Bill's podcast ...
                        Joe has over 48 and Bill and under ...

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
                          They're on at minute 44 of this link (it took me a bit to find it):
                          http://grantland.com/the-triangle/b-...ith-joe-house/

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
                            They're on at minute 44 of this link (it took me a bit to find it):
                            http://grantland.com/the-triangle/b-...ith-joe-house/
                            It seems like Bill has a yes man in Joe House and is never wrong but when he is with Jalen .. Jalen takes that role ..

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                              The visual gags are just to awkward to set-up for tv broadcast. They kill the flow of the conversation.

It's obvious right now that Jalen is more self-conscious on television, and struggling between being podcast-Jalen or network Jalen. It seems like Bill wants him to more of his true self on TV though, but that's a tough scenario for any Black man in America —*trusting that 'the mainstream' will 'get' or appreciate how you act with your family and friends without stereotyping you. To the average minority, mainstream media seems to reward and accept people that conform to mainstream White Culture more often than not.

Jalen is definitely at his finest with Jacoby, who is bascially the perfect wingman for him. Jacoby is just more knowledgeable and comfortable with hip hop and black culture, and you can tell Jalen doesn't feel the need to filter himself or 'translate' what he means — Jacoby just 'gets' him. And Jacoby never looks to deliver punchlines or make a point, he just asks all the questions that let's Jalen run his mouth.

What's interesting about the preview this year is that you can tell that Bill was making in effort to include more hip-hop and cultural references for Jalen to riff off of, but you can tell even Jalen felt like it was unnatural and forced.

Well, that's enough internet pop psychology for one night. Shutting up now.
                              Jacoby is Jalen's yes man 90%. Worse off he's not really that knowledgeable in general basketball information. I remember one time he was talking about how Jalen was telling him about this underrated player and it took him a while to remember which team this player was playing for. It was Trevor Ariza and he forgot he was on the Rockets even though his contract with them was a huge deal when it happened because the Rockets failed to acquire Bosh and didn't match Parsons contract. Smh, I mean I still enjoy the Jalen and Jacoby report but its really hard to take anything they say seriously especially when Jalen is right about something he's like "remember I said that?" and when he's wrong he either never brings it up or says he never said that in the first place. Whatever just a weird rant lol.

Comment

Shirokin wrote: View Post
                                Jacoby is Jalen's yes man 90%. Worse off he's not really that knowledgeable in general basketball information. I remember one time he was talking about how Jalen was telling him about this underrated player and it took him a while to remember which team this player was playing for. It was Trevor Ariza and he forgot he was on the Rockets even though his contract with them was a huge deal when it happened because the Rockets failed to acquire Bosh and didn't match Parsons contract. Smh, I mean I still enjoy the Jalen and Jacoby report but its really hard to take anything they say seriously especially when Jalen is right about something he's like "remember I said that?" and when he's wrong he either never brings it up or says he never said that in the first place. Whatever just a weird rant lol.
                                Remember Jacoby is his producer and set-up man. His full-time and primary job is just to make Jalen and Bill look good.

What I like about Jalen is that he obviously still has contacts in the league, and while he'll never come out and gossip, he seems aware of what's happening behind the scenes. Like, when Jalen hints that everyone in the Magic organization knows that Jacque Vaughn is a shitty coach, and it's only a matter of time before he gets fired, I believe him.

Jalen also sees things like a player that other pundits and analysts just take for granted. For example most analysts continually underrate Tony Parker because of his age and athleticism, while most players think of Tony Parker as a champion and one of the most skilled point guards in the league. My favorite Jalen moment is him arguing that Tony Parker is more valuable player than Chris Paul.

http://youtu.be/hkk7oa4YzX0?t=21m25s

He's not always right obviously, but he definitely offers a different perspective without being a complete homer.

Comment

Working...
                                X