Preseason Game #5: Toronto Raptors 92 - Boston Celtics 89

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guyroch wrote: View Post
    Was this game on T.V .. It seems like you need a GPS of TV converters to find a game on the tube
    DanH wrote: View Post
    None of the road preseason games are televised in Canada. Need to find a stream, be it NBALP, Ballstreams or a free one.
    It's beyond me how there can be like 8+ major sporting channels in this country, yet the nation's lone NBA team gets practically no pre-season coverage. On Saturday night there was something like 7 or 8 NHL games being broadcast concurrently and NHL preseason coverage was as in-depth as NHL playoff coverage. I'm not expecting the NBA to be given equal footing, but what's the point of expanding to 3 or 5 sports channels, if the same program is going to be shown on some/all of them at the same time?

*RANT OVER*

Comment

• NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
      I don't really understand the issue with how Casey handles young guys...

Ross and Valanciunas both played just under 30 minutes per game last year (Ross played 29mpg post Gay-trade, JV played 28mpg all year), which were 4th and 5th most on the team after the leaders Lowry, DeMar and Amir. Even in the playoffs when Ross was basically useless, he only saw a marginal dip in minutes and I even remember Casey saying something along the lines of "If we weren't trying to develop him, he wouldn't be playing right now".

Not every young player is meant to just be thrown into the fire and handed 30 minutes per game right away. Hell not every guy is even supposed to get regular minutes in their rookie season. Players develop differently and in different styles for a multitude of reasons.

I mean Kobe Bryant of all people only got 15mpg his rookie season... and people are acting like Bruno who is nowhere near as polished or highly regarded of a prospect should be getting around the same?

Let the coach... coach. Seriously. Another thing people seem to conveniently ignore is that most player development does not happen during games. It happens during practice, training, development drills, etc. You think DeMar added an amazing post game, improved his passing and dribbling skills and such because we played him 35 minutes per night? Or is it because he was putting in work in the offseason?

Overall, I agree. That being said, players need to be put in real-game situations in order to put all that training to the test.

Dwight Howard apparently shoots ~80% from the free-throw line in practice. He shoots a much lower percentage in games.
      I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
      -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
        The only downside of this win is... its setting the stage for a lot of " give the ball to Lou and get out the way" end game play calling from Casey. Hope Casey proves me wrong and mix it up a bit.
        To be honest. All end of game scenarios are ISO scenarios where the dude holding ball usually shoots.

The convention for end of game is to get the ball to your best player and get the fuck out of the way. And if he wants...set him a screen. That's it. And not just for the raptors, the entire league
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
          To be honest. All end of game scenarios are ISO scenarios where the dude holding ball usually shoots.

The convention for end of game is to get the ball to your best player and get the fuck out of the way. And if he wants...set him a screen. That's it. And not just for the raptors, the entire league
          That's very true though. It does depend on how much seconds are on the clock, but for people to expect Casey to draw up this intricate play when there's like 5-10 seconds left on the shot clock, maybe less, it a bit ridiculous. Most teams do just end up going iso. Demar just isn't a good iso player so the ball should be in the hands of Kyle or Lou. Both can shoot from distance at a better percentage and can get to the basket much earlier if need be because they are quicker and have a better first step than DD. Setting a screen just brings an extra defender into the play which makes it even more difficult to get off a good shot. Maybe I'm missing something here.
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
            That's very true though. It does depend on how much seconds are on the clock, but for people to expect Casey to draw up this intricate play when there's like 5-10 seconds left on the shot clock, maybe less, it a bit ridiculous. Most teams do just end up going iso. Demar just isn't a good iso player so the ball should be in the hands of Kyle or Lou. Both can shoot from distance at a better percentage and can get to the basket much earlier if need be because they are quicker and have a better first step than DD. Setting a screen just brings an extra defender into the play which makes it even more difficult to get off a good shot. Maybe I'm missing something here.
            This has been true in the past...but that was when he had yet to improve his dribble/handle capabilities. We dont know really if his practice and improvement this past off season that he might be more proficient. He showed what could be with that dribble escape from Acy & Shumpert in NY and then scored. So far his record of improvements he has set his mind to is quite remarkable. There are a meld of a few skills in being a good/great "iso player" ....including having a mental capacity of high confidence to want to do it. I think he can do it now....we shall see. He does however still have that bugaboo of not being a good 3pt. shooter so he might have to avoid those situations along the perimeter (both Kyle & Lou can do it from there).

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              This has been true in the past...but that was when he had yet to improve his dribble/handle capabilities. We dont know really if his practice and improvement this past off season that he might be more proficient. He showed what could be with that dribble escape from Acy & Shumpert in NY and then scored. So far his record of improvements he has set his mind to is quite remarkable. There are a meld of a few skills in being a good/great "iso player" ....including having a mental capacity of high confidence to want to do it. I think he can do it now....we shall see. He does however still have that bugaboo of not being a good 3pt. shooter so he might have to avoid those situations along the perimeter (both Kyle & Lou can do it from there).
              I agree. His handles look much improved. Hopefully that helps him in getting to the basket even more
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
              X