Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2
    replied
    Is this a failure on the part of Masai or an issue this team has due to location? I'm trying to think of which free agents Colangelo brought in...Lowry was traded here...only guy I can think of was Jermaine O'Neal who was quite a bit past his prime. The best players other than Kyle whom have worn a Raps uniform have all been drafted, and all except Damon and McGrady resigned.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    OK, so you guys are content with the free agency track record. Fair enough.
    Nah, I'm also not arguing with you there.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied

I expected he could show up to camp not looking like the notorious b.i.g.
    Yeah, your expectations were way too high then.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

All I know is that in the past, "Lowry, Powell and the bench" win this game by 8. Remember Lowry and the bench? That group could win 48 games in the East! Now, "the bench" is a bunch of G league level guys. Other than Lowry, Powell, Boucher and maybe Bembry, the rest of the guys that played last night will be lucky to be in the league in 2 or 3 years.

That's why I'm of the opinion we have to trade Lowry, and came to that conclusion halfway through this season when I saw how much we were "getting" from guys like Terrence Davis and Matt Thomas etc. There's nothing on this roster coming down the pipe. I know a treadmill when I see one. I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan living in Calgary, and while it's different sports, both the Canucks and Flames denied needing a rebuild for far too long and now they're both a mess.

We don't need a "rebuild", but we definitely need a retool. Lowry is not getting any younger, and bringing the band back plus adding maybe a 18th overall pick doesn't exactly inspire me when you look at Brooklyn and Philly and Boston and Milwaukee all set up for the next few years.

If Lowry can get you a lotto pick, or a blue chipper, you need to add him to this promising(but well short of where we need to go) core of Fred, Pascal, OG and Norm.
    Nah, I agree with you. Not counting undrafted guys like FVV & TD, Masai's track record signing free agents is absolutely abysmal. Boucher & Bismack might be the best of the sorry lot.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post

To be fair, Carroll got hit by injuries and still hasn't gotten back to the level he was pre injury, same goes for Sullinger, Scola was old and was Hansbrough ever good? All I remember was the guy got into scraps.
    They were all brought in at the time to be our 3rd or 4th big. Fat, old, and getting into fights was their scouting reports respectively according to this, and we chose them. So...to be fair, those aren't excuses, those are mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

All I know is that in the past, "Lowry, Powell and the bench" win this game by 8. Remember Lowry and the bench? That group could win 48 games in the East! Now, "the bench" is a bunch of G league level guys. Other than Lowry, Powell, Boucher and maybe Bembry, the rest of the guys that played last night will be lucky to be in the league in 2 or 3 years.

That's why I'm of the opinion we have to trade Lowry, and came to that conclusion halfway through this season when I saw how much we were "getting" from guys like Terrence Davis and Matt Thomas etc. There's nothing on this roster coming down the pipe. I know a treadmill when I see one. I'm a Vancouver Canucks fan living in Calgary, and while it's different sports, both the Canucks and Flames denied needing a rebuild for far too long and now they're both a mess.

We don't need a "rebuild", but we definitely need a retool. Lowry is not getting any younger, and bringing the band back plus adding maybe a 18th overall pick doesn't exactly inspire me when you look at Brooklyn and Philly and Boston and Milwaukee all set up for the next few years.

If Lowry can get you a lotto pick, or a blue chipper, you need to add him to this promising(but well short of where we need to go) core of Fred, Pascal, OG and Norm.

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied

Carroll was certainly supposed to be a "big deal". 60 million over 4 is like 90 million over 4 in todays NBA, and we had to deal a 1st round pick to get rid of him. Hansbrough, Baynes, Scola and Sullinger are the 4 bigs that were all expected to play every single game and were all pretty fucking shit. I think we payed Sullinger 100k per hot dog.

Nobody in that list met expectations except Biyombo really.
    To be fair, Carroll got hit by injuries and still hasn't gotten back to the level he was pre injury, same goes for Sullinger, Scola was old and was Hansbrough ever good? All I remember was the guy got into scraps.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Did anyone have expectations for Sullinger??
    Or this guy?

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I expected he could show up to camp not looking like the notorious b.i.g.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    . Hansbrough, Baynes, Scola and Sullinger are the 4 bigs that were all expected to play every single game and were all pretty fucking shit. I think we payed Sullinger 100k per hot dog.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Hawks finished on a 24-8 it was more than just the last 6 minutes or Norm's missed F/T
    A post from SN:

Another lopsided game at the Free Throw line as I expected. In Atlanta's previous 5 games before the All-Star game they had Free Throw totals of 17,17,17,18,and 21 or 22. No surprise they got 35 attempts in this game.

Raptors had 25 team fouls giving Atlanta 35 shots from the Free Throw line. Atlanta had 1 more team foul then the Raptors (26) and we only got 23 Free Throw shots. Can't argue the Raptors take more 3's resulting in less foul calls because Atlanta took more 3's then the Raptors and the Raptors actually finished with 9 more shot attempts over the course of the game. Doesn't matter who you are if the Zebra's give your opponent 35+ Free Throws you're gonna have a hard time winning games period

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied

Carroll was certainly supposed to be a "big deal". 60 million over 4 is like 90 million over 4 in todays NBA, and we had to deal a 1st round pick to get rid of him. Hansbrough, Baynes, Scola and Sullinger are the 4 bigs that were all expected to play every single game and were all pretty fucking shit. I think we payed Sullinger 100k per hot dog.

Scola started on a 56 win team. I think he was pretty good /s

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post

Have the Raptors ever had cap space to sign anyone decent during those years? Most of it was spent re-signing players and whatever else was left was used to sign the mediocre ones you listed.

Leave a comment:

• Maury
    replied
    I had the TV remote in my hand. I turned it off before the ball hit the ground.

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied

I never thought I'd have to deal with Rafael Aruajo again as a Raptor fan. But he's back, with an Aussie accent.

I exaggerate, but he's my least liked player since Carroll. Another swing and a miss in the free agency market for Masai. Seriously, love Masai, but look at his signings since coming here. I won't include fringe roster guys, just ones brought in with expectations to contribute:

Tyler Hansbrough
    DJ Augustin (trash when here)
    Austin Daye
    Greg Steimsma
    Demarre Carroll
    Cory Joseph
    Luis Scola
    Bismack Biyombo
    Jared Sullinger
    Patrick McCaw
    Jeremy Lin
    Aaron Baynes
    Alex Len

Phewwww. That's 13 guys and maybe 2 pretty good signings (Cojo and Bismack, althought they left for nothing in return). Other than that, a steaming, stinking pile of shit.

Please stop talking about free agents. This team can't find anyone who will come here for a reasonable salary that is actually a good NBA player in his prime. Bismack and Africa connections and Cojo was from Toronto and they're our only 2 mediocre pickups .
    Have the Raptors ever had cap space to sign anyone decent during those years? Most of it was spent re-signing players and whatever else was left was used to sign the mediocre ones you listed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X