• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane
    replied
    Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

They are down 3 starters.
    Which forces you to play the 10th 11th and 12th guys on the roster rotation minutes.
    I suppose the show must go on... but you don't have to watch.

This is like boxing when one of the fighters has a broken hand.
    Why wouldn't I watch?
    I've been a fan since the land before time, I don't pick and choose the games (or seasons) to watch based on their chances of winning...what a weird comment lol

And remember prior seasons (different situations) where Lowry and DeMar would low grade but publicly criticize the lack of roster movement at the trade deadline as Colangelo or Masai not having faith in the team while other peer teams attempted to get better? That's where we are now and it's weird that Masai and Bobby appear absent for the most part.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Yep. There are definitely levels of Raptor fandom:

Leafs fans
    Bandwagon fans (who left when Kawhi did)
    Casual fans
    Hardcore fans
    RR posters

.... and then there are masochists like us, Deaner, who probably watched every game of the Bargnani Era, hell or high water. lol.
    haha the lowlight of my life has been defending Bargs as a "7 footer take longer to develop"

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Lots of room on the bandwagon this morning...
    Excellent seats.still available.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied

Actually it's kind of the opposite of what you're saying: coaching & system plays a very large part of improving a player's BBIQ and decision-making. And if you watch the best shooters in the league, their teams actually run multiple screen actions for them as a first option to get shots in rhythm with the defense moving. That almost never happens with the Raps offense. It's all random drive & kick, mostly to maximize Fred's main strength.
    If it was the other way around - if Nunn and Robinson signed with the Raptors and Davis and Thomas and Yuta and co. signed with the Heat, do you think things would be different? nope. Nunn and Robinson and Yuta and Davis and Thomas would still turn into the players that they are now.

The Spurs are another team known for their player development. Poeltl is still the same player he was in Toronto. Lyles still the same player he was in Utah. Eubanks, Vassell who was a high draft pick. How are these guys not getting any better? should we blame Popovich too?

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    The reason why Nunn went undrafted is different from why Thomas and Davis went undrafted let's be honest though. And it's not talent related.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post

Or maybe Nunn and Robinson are just better players than Davis, Thomas, Yuta and co.? The Raptors/Nurse can't magically turn bad players into good players lol.

Davis plays like a dummy. I've been sayin this ALL YEAR. He's like a poor man's JR Smith. How is that Nurse's fault? and Thomas? If you watch the best catch and shoot shooters in the league - Redick, Robinson, Korver. All they need is a little space to get their shot off. Thomas refuses to shoot unless he's wide, wide, wide open.
    Actually it's kind of the opposite of what you're saying: coaching & system plays a very large part of improving a player's BBIQ and decision-making. And if you watch the best shooters in the league, their teams actually run multiple screen actions for them as a first option to get shots in rhythm with the defense moving. That almost never happens with the Raps offense. It's all random drive & kick, mostly to maximize Fred's main strength.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied

Miami Heat are starting 2 G-League guys (Robinson & Nunn), plus some random guy named KZ Okpala? They got hit by Covid bad early in the season and are now 4th overall & streaking with Bam out.

Has it become blasphemy to say that Nurse isn't as good as Spoelstra when it comes to developing his bench guys? We all love St. Nick, but he isn't perfect. There's a definite trend there with Nurse and the bench, and losing 3 starters has fully exposed that chink in the armor. Our bench guys don't even look like they know how to play the game of basketball at times. Some of that has to be coaching related.
    Or maybe Nunn and Robinson are just better players than Davis, Thomas, Yuta and co.? The Raptors/Nurse can't magically turn bad players into good players lol.

Davis plays like a dummy. I've been sayin this ALL YEAR. He's like a poor man's JR Smith. How is that Nurse's fault? and Thomas? If you watch the best catch and shoot shooters in the league - Redick, Robinson, Korver. All they need is a little space to get their shot off. Thomas refuses to shoot unless he's wide, wide, wide open.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Nick Nurse: "I was talking with (GM Bobby Webster) on the bus on the way over"
    This is the first sign in 2 months that Bobby is still employed by the Raptors.

Masai? No evidence

10 fans total and 40 comments on a game thread?
    They are down 3 starters.
    Which forces you to play the 10th 11th and 12th guys on the roster rotation minutes.
    I suppose the show must go on... but you don't have to watch.

This is like boxing when one of the fighters has a broken hand.

Leave a comment:

• Dvdvideo
    replied

Masai? No evidence

it's probably because it's kind of another throw away game without the real team playing......

Leave a comment:

• Dvdvideo
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

It’s idiotic...

It‘s not like not hucking end of quarter threes cause you wanna keep your shooting percentages up.

The other team is GOING TO SCORE.
    Move your fuggin ass Baynesy.

Lazy and infuriating.

He wouldn’t even bend over to pick up the friggin loose ball.

Man... wasting my time and everybody else’s.

Yes, this!!! We get this plus none of the grit and hussle he was known for in Boston......

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Masai? No evidence

Yep. There are definitely levels of Raptor fandom:

Leafs fans
    Bandwagon fans (who left when Kawhi did)
    Casual fans
    Hardcore fans
    RR posters

.... and then there are masochists like us, Deaner, who probably watched every game of the Bargnani Era, hell or high water. lol.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied

Masai? No evidence

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    The last 5-6 games unfortunately tell us nothing. We always knew our depth was a collection of G-league talent. Masai's team building strategy was always vets up front, youth in the back. That has made him successful. The problem is in the past our youth was really good. And our best player has gotten so old now that he struggles to lead a bench - although in fairness nobody could lead a team like that. Lebron's team failed to make the playoffs when it was just him and a bunch of young kids, and he's this generations goat.

It sucks that Flynn had to be one of the guys that got COVID. Would have been nice to see what he had with little rope. His early season struggles were due to the fact that he played scared and timid. Since there were no expectations from anyone without a majority of our talent out, I think he would have strived. We could have also used more ball handlers.

We don't have any quality bench players other than Boucher who can't play a lick of defense other than the occasional block (blocking shots =/= good defense). It's miserable watching Baynes. It's like watching washed up Gasol without the IQ. Bembry/Johnson/Davis/Watanabe/Thomas/Watson are all so bad. Davis has the physical qualities to be a really good player.. but he is just so dumb and ineffective.

We need better prospects. Or better vets. But our bench is horrible.

Either we let this season play out, and get a pretty decent draft pick. Or we move on from Kyle to help us get a better prospect/bench. I think those are only two options. Norm is only making $11M. Fred/Pascal are untouchable. And OG's got a weird poison pill contract. Maybe we could get someone for Boucher.. he has a friendly team option next season. But again only makes about $7M.

But it's a really crappy situation all around. The draft better be as good as people are saying.
    Miami Heat are starting 2 G-League guys (Robinson & Nunn), plus some random guy named KZ Okpala? They got hit by Covid bad early in the season and are now 4th overall & streaking with Bam out.

Has it become blasphemy to say that Nurse isn't as good as Spoelstra when it comes to developing his bench guys? We all love St. Nick, but he isn't perfect. There's a definite trend there with Nurse and the bench, and losing 3 starters has fully exposed that chink in the armor. Our bench guys don't even look like they know how to play the game of basketball at times. Some of that has to be coaching related.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Okay, that was the shittiest came to watch in a long long time. Being down 3 starters is pretty tough to overcome. I’m just wondering what we are trying to achieve this year... being away from TO and now this stretch might be tough to overcome.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    The last 5-6 games unfortunately tell us nothing. We always knew our depth was a collection of G-league talent. Masai's team building strategy was always vets up front, youth in the back. That has made him successful. The problem is in the past our youth was really good. And our best player has gotten so old now that he struggles to lead a bench - although in fairness nobody could lead a team like that. Lebron's team failed to make the playoffs when it was just him and a bunch of young kids, and he's this generations goat.

It sucks that Flynn had to be one of the guys that got COVID. Would have been nice to see what he had with little rope. His early season struggles were due to the fact that he played scared and timid. Since there were no expectations from anyone without a majority of our talent out, I think he would have strived. We could have also used more ball handlers.

We don't have any quality bench players other than Boucher who can't play a lick of defense other than the occasional block (blocking shots =/= good defense). It's miserable watching Baynes. It's like watching washed up Gasol without the IQ. Bembry/Johnson/Davis/Watanabe/Thomas/Watson are all so bad. Davis has the physical qualities to be a really good player.. but he is just so dumb and ineffective.

We need better prospects. Or better vets. But our bench is horrible.

Either we let this season play out, and get a pretty decent draft pick. Or we move on from Kyle to help us get a better prospect/bench. I think those are only two options. Norm is only making $11M. Fred/Pascal are untouchable. And OG's got a weird poison pill contract. Maybe we could get someone for Boucher.. he has a friendly team option next season. But again only makes about $7M.

But it's a really crappy situation all around. The draft better be as good as people are saying.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X