No announcement yet.

The Great Kyle Lowry Trade Sweepstakes - Where Does Kyle Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently, Sixers offered Thybulle, Maxey and a pick and Masai wanted more.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Makes the guy who tweeted that the Sixers were on the one yard line look kinda foolish. If true though, Masai messed up again.

Comment

a lot of fans would've hate that deal if Masai did it. Fans kinda overboosted Lowry.
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

And maybe that was Morey's way of making it seem like the ask and is why they went after Hill instead. Everything a GM/president says has to be taken with a grain of salt. They have to placate their fan base and ownership.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            a lot of fans would've hate that deal if Masai did it. Fans kinda overboosted Lowry.
            Fans and even Masai see it more from an emotional/loyalty standpoint. Lowry is the Greatest Raptor of all time. Masai said so himself in his interview, there is a sort of bias when it comes to Lowry. If Masai wanted to see it from a business perspective, he wouldn't have given Lowry a choice of teams he would be okay to go to and instead trade him for the best package Raptors can get back, even it is to a mediocre team.

In terms of the Sixers package, Windhorst said Raptors wanted Maxey, Thybulle, and 2 FRPs. Lots of conflicting rumors, some said Sixers didn't want to trade Thybulle, and wherever golden got his source, they didn't want to give up 2 FRPs.

Comment

Ya but if you look at morey history he is known for going for titles and going over the cap to win now. If the sixers lose in the 2nd round of ECF he is going to be even more desperate this summer. Take into account they wont be able to afford Lowry unless they do a Sign and Trade. So really Darly has no leverage here and is pouting to the media that Masai didnt just cave into him.
              Same with Miami why would we trade lowry for Robinson who is a RFA and is going to get a raise, Dude is probably out of Miami anyways this summer, Jimmy is aging and sure wait 5 years for Herro to peak and Jimmys going to be looking at retirement.
              Masai had the leverage and these teams didnt come correct and are going to be left without a chance at a title this year
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

If the 6ixers were serious about winning they would pull the trigger on that trade in a heartbeat. They tried being cute and it most likely cost them a title. The asking price was not that high, teams just don't understand the value KL brings to a contender.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post

If the 6ixers were serious about winning they would pull the trigger on that trade in a heartbeat. They tried being cute and it most likely cost them a title. The asking price was not that high, teams just don't understand the value KL brings to a contender.
                  I hope they are confident that Lowry re-signs or we get sign and trade because otherwise it's Masai who was being cute.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I hope they are confident that Lowry re-signs or we get sign and trade because otherwise it's Masai who was being cute.
                    I don't see any indication that Lowry would screw over the Raptors like that. He's loyal to the organization and they show him the same respect. Also, no contending team has the capspace to offer him a contract, so a sign and trade would be the only way he lands on a Miami or Philly team. Unless he REALLY wants the money and settles for a meddling team but I strongly doubt that.

Comment

If True, I would have loved that deal. Two rotation players on the best team in the east (ages 20 & 24) plus a pick? What else do you want? With all due respect to Lowry we weren't offering up James Harden here.

I get that Lowry is a franchise icon and you don't want feeble returns for him, but on the other hand there are things to consider before sticking our nose up forever thinking he's 26-year old Anthony Davis, and assigning him an unrealistic/artificial value driven mostly by our sentiment/memories around him. If the Raptors don't make the playoffs this year, the league will call it as it is: A 35 yr old point guard that couldn't take his team to the playoffs (in the East). They won't give a hoot about all the sentimental value we consciously on unconsciously put on Lowry. So next year we have 2 choices:

1. Rationally look at the team (and the need for assets and rebuilding), and do what other non-FA destinations have done over the years: Let your star go when you're no longer competitive so you can get some assets to help your future, accepting the market value of your star (even if it's not our idyllic projected value). That's what the Pacers did with Paul George, Memphis with Gasol, Charlotte with Kemba etc

2. Go the Lakers route and hold on to our Kobe till retirement. Let him walk into the ether, and be happy with the cap space that will open. Given the free agent magnet we are (the Lakers), another star will promptly fall on our lap to fill that space and we'll be fine.

Both options are actually very reasonable depending on your priorities as a fan. Calculated asset management or "Lowry, please tell me if and when you would allow me to trade you, to where and to what kind of return". I actually wouldn't mind holding on to Lowry if he was washed up/injured. At the point might as well hold on to him and let him retire here. There's meaning and value on that too. But if he can clearly make a difference and push another team to a title (his hometown of all places), I'd rather not deny him that, and help our team grow in the process by moving him (even if the return isn't the idyllic one I wish it was).

Comment

Oh he'll re-sign, and it will likely be close to the 50M for 2yrs deal. Lowry wanted to "secure" that deal right at this trade deadline, at least in principle, and contending teams (the teams that want him and that he wants) won't have the cap space to give him that outright (fortunately).

Question is, after re-signing, will there be a trade (sign & trade)? if there is one, other teams will take into account his and the Raptors performance this year (the most recent record), and the fact Lowry will be 36 when they get to use him in the playoffs. That tells me his value will likely be lower than it was at this past trade deadline. So if the offers at this past trade deadline weren't good enough, I'd imagine they won't be good enough by then either, which means he'll probably stick around (at 50M for 2 years).

Comment

This defies common sense. There is no way. Everyone knows the value of promising rotation players on entry level deals, they are incredibly valuable.

Neither Hill nor Oladipo cost a single asset like that. We saw the price for veteran guards on expiring contracts, the price paid for Oladipo especially tells you more than any rumour.

Masai may have wanted four real assets but what those guys cost tells me that Philly never even offered two quality youth assets.

In my opinion the Philly offer for Lowry was something like a first and filler, and the Miami offer was Robinson or Nunn and filler.
                          Last edited by ensco; Sun Mar 28, 2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post

Oh he'll re-sign, and it will likely be close to the 50M for 2yrs deal. Lowry wanted to "secure" that deal right at this trade deadline, at least in principle, and contending teams (the teams that want him and that he wants) won't have the cap space to give him that outright (fortunately).

Question is, after re-signing, will there be a trade (sign & trade)? if there is one, other teams will take into account his and the Raptors performance this year (the most recent record), and the fact Lowry will be 36 when they get to use him in the playoffs. That tells me his value will likely be lower than it was at this past trade deadline. So if the offers at this past trade deadline weren't good enough, I'd imagine they won't be good enough by then either, which means he'll probably stick around (at 50M for 2 years).
                            So it would be basically this middling team with an older Kyle and a younger Norm. Let's hope is doesn't play out that way

Comment

ensco wrote: View Post

This defies common sense. There is no way. Everyone knows the value of promising rotation players on entry level deals, they are incredibly valuable.

Neither Hill nor Oladipo cost a single asset like that. We saw the price for veteran guards on expiring contracts, the price paid for Oladipo especially tells you more than any rumour.

Masai may have wanted four real assets but what those guys cost tells me that Philly never even offered two quality youth assets.

In my opinion the Philly offer for Lowry was something like a first and filler, and the Miami offer was Robinson or Nunn and filler.
                              Nah. It jives with the report in the Athletic that the Raps and Sixers were very close to a deal and were just haggling over draft compensation. One extra first round pick could have indeed been the difference here.

Comment

So how many games has Lowry played since trade deadline day..lol..I bet u if he was traded 2 maimi, he wouldn't miss any..and this is why I am baffled..why wouldn't u move him..unless it's cap reasons..u sign trade him for 2nd rd pick, just 2 have that cap..no team is gonna help raptors when it comes 2 cap..u could got so much more..trade dead line day..I don't know, it doesn't make sense..
                                "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                                My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Working...
                                X