The Great Kyle Lowry Trade Sweepstakes - Where Does Kyle Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Weren't Durrant and Hayward sign and trades? What did the trading teams get in those returns? And yes Lowry at his age wouldn't get as much.

Or maybe Lowry values another big contract over rings?
    Brooklyn got a FRP (although heavily protected) from GSW.
    Charlotte got a 2RP (and a swap of another 2RP).

Really minor deals, but the teams receiving the player helped the team that lost their player by getting an asset (DLO for GSW, a large TPE for Hayward).

They really should put a clause in the CBA that if a team loses their player in free agency they should get some draft compensation back automatically, if the player signs for say 25% or higher of the salary cap or something. We should have gotten at least a draft pick from LAC for losing Kawhi.

Comment

• Golden State sign and traded Durant for D’Angelo Russell which became the Minnesota pick. Great asset management.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

That's right. A sign and trade allows the team of his choosing to clear space easier to bring him in. A straight signing limits it to teams with cap space, and those teams are usually bad.

but I caution you're not gonna get much in a sign and trade. Teams know they have Raptors over a barrel and if the raptors ask too much they can look for other avenues to clear cap space
        With the Raps resting Lowry and OG and Pascal and with Trent, Bembry doubtful it sure looks like we are going to witness the 2nd Battle of Kursk tomorrow in Orlando. You can't tell anyone with a straight face now that your trying to win at this point. OG, Pascal and Trent are in their 20's. Cmon man.

I agree..
        I don't think you get jackshit at the draft in a trade or later on in the FA swap meet for a sign and trade for Kyle.

So either Masai whiffed at this deadline (that FRP or SRP plus a rostered player on a rookie deal looks good with 20/20 hindsight especially now with the tampatank unfolding in front of our eyes)
        or,
        Ujiri feels he can get something in the draft, pick up a real C in FA and he runs it back with Kyle.

If next season goes south.. you can try the trade deadline again.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Apr 15, 2021, 06:15 PM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Brooklyn got a FRP (although heavily protected) from GSW.
          Charlotte got a 2RP (and a swap of another 2RP).

Really minor deals, but the teams receiving the player helped the team that lost their player by getting an asset (DLO for GSW, a large TPE for Hayward).

They really should put a clause in the CBA that if a team loses their player in free agency they should get some draft compensation back automatically, if the player signs for say 25% or higher of the salary cap or something. We should have gotten at least a draft pick from LAC for losing Kawhi.
          They couldn't since the Clips were about to give everything away for PG

Comment

• For this alone I can see why Ujiri held out for a better return on picks and players at the trade deadline.

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

With the Raps resting Lowry and OG and Pascal and with Trent, Bembry doubtful it sure looks like we are going to witness the 2nd Battle of Kursk tomorrow in Orlando. You can't tell anyone with a straight face now that your trying to win at this point. OG, Pascal and Trent are in their 20's. Cmon man.

I agree..
              I don't think you get jackshit at the draft in a trade or later on in the FA swap meet for a sign and trade for Kyle.

So either Masai whiffed at this deadline (that FRP or SRP plus a rostered player on a rookie deal looks good with 20/20 hindsight especially now with the tampatank unfolding in front of our eyes)
              or,
              Ujiri feels he can get something in the draft, pick up a real C in FA and he runs it back with Kyle.

If next season goes south.. you can try the trade deadline again.
              something is better than nothing. If we get a second round pick or even some sort of player AT ALL. i'd be happy

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                Golden State sign and traded Durant for D’Angelo Russell which became the Minnesota pick. Great asset management.
                .....when your asset is Kevin Durant. Not untrue but irrelevant when discussing Lowry

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

.....when your asset is Kevin Durant. Not untrue but irrelevant when discussing Lowry
                  What if your asset was Kawhi? Never mind...

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                    For this alone I can see why Ujiri held out for a better return on picks and players at the trade deadline.

Rookie hazing is consistently hilarious across all sports.

Comment

• Well..like I said Lowry should of been dealth, rumors are already starting with him going 2 Philly or Jimmy Butler latest interview from maimi giving love 2 his best buddy Lowry....
                      "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                      My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                        Well..like I said Lowry should of been dealth, rumors are already starting with him going 2 Philly or Jimmy Butler latest interview from maimi giving love 2 his best buddy Lowry....
                        If he's going to Philly, it's via a sign and trade where the Raptors have even more leverage than they did at the deadline.

The Heat were always a risk.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Sixers just destroyed the Hawks. Imagine them with Lowry ....

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

If he's going to Philly, it's via a sign and trade where the Raptors have even more leverage than they did at the deadline.

The Heat were always a risk.
                            But Heat wouldn't be able to resign Oladipo if they want Lowry, right? If that is the case it's hard to believe they just wasted the assets required to bring Oladipo to Miami.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

But Heat wouldn't be able to resign Oladipo if they want Lowry, right? If that is the case it's hard to believe they just wasted the assets required to bring Oladipo to Miami.
                              Right, and they'd likely have to lose a couple other re-sign options and cut all their big non-guarantees to make a real offer (likely can only keep one of Nunn and Robinson, lose Dragic and Iggy). Keeping Dipo lets them keep all the other guys if they so choose. Lowry would be just Lowry (which is likely still the better option but I could see them talking themselves out of it) - unless they also engage in SnT talks. In which case we really are back where we started with both leverage and a bidding war, though obviously Lowry has a bit of a say (though if neither team is pursuing offering him a contract with cap room, not THAT much so long as he's willing to go either place).
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'll be pretty surprised if the Heat let all those guys walk to sign Lowry, but that may partly depend on how this season ends. They were a middling seed last year and made a run to the Finals. If they finish out well enough, they talk themselves into running it back. If they get blown out early, they more likely look to shake things up.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X