Popeye Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popeye Jones

Saw a video on the Raptors Youtube page of Popeye Jones talking about the Air Canada Centre and his short stint playing with the Raptors... What a guy he was! I totally forgot about him! Even though this guy was 6'8, he never dunked in an NBA game! A Dennis Rodman type of guy, not the most gifted basketball player but had the will and tenacity to grab those boards!

Although not with the Raps at the time , he put up numbers like these...

11 pts & 28 rebs (11 orb) vs Pacers
    12 pts & 27 rebs vs Clippers
    25 pts & 20 rebs vs Celtics
    18 pts & 20 rebs (11 orb) vs Sonics
    18 pts & 20 rebs vs Suns
    16 pts & 20 rebs (11 orb) vs TWolves
    11 pts & 21 rebs vs Rockets
    11 pts & 22 rebs vs Nuggets

However he did have some 20/20 games with the Raps.

For those who have never heard of the guy, he was around for a couple of seasons, I think back 1996... He's on par with Sam Cassell in regards to looks but was an entertaining guy! Now an assistant coach with the Pacers.

HEY YOU GUYSSSSS!

Last edited by Rapzilla; Fri Oct 17, 2014, 04:35 AM.

And a distinguished member of the NBA's All-Ugly team!

http://www.balloverall.com/content/1...y-3081-photo-0

Comment

I believe he was recently in the running for one of the asst. coaching positions with the Raptors. A very good person too from what I hear. Trivia...his son was a very high hockey draft pick (slated to go first overall but did not) ...a defenseman with the Predators.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        I believe he was recently in the running for one of the asst. coaching positions with the Raptors. A very good person too from what I hear. Trivia...his son was a very high hockey draft pick (slated to go first overall but did not) ...a defenseman with the Predators.
        Seth Jones I think
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Yes Seth Jones he could be one of hockeys best players in a few years. When young Seth wanted to play hockey, Popeye was with the nuggets at the time and asked joe sakic for advice. He said "get him skating before he plays hockey". Best advice ever as skating is Seth's best attribute.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
          X