Trade Market is God Awful - One Piece Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    I do think Horford would prefer playing PF in a traditional offense, but with the offense Atlanta runs, his quotes about there being no difference between PF and C make sense. They also have basiaclly no difference between the wing positions. Atlanta has Pero Antic and Brand to throw at big bodies centers so they can move Al to PF in those lineups (and even move Millsap to SF in some instances).

If Horford wants out and to shop around as an UFA, then Toronto should stay the hell away. I highly doubt he'd look at Toronto as a more desirable destination than Atlanta. So we'd end up trading away assets just to see him walk for nothing. I think Atlanta will be in a bit of a bind trying to bring Millsap back (I think drafting Payne was because of this), which makes him much more attainable than Horford, and we'd know for sure we'd have him for 4-5 years if we sign him outright. Doesn't make sense to trade for either of these guys this season when they're so close to free agency. Since Millsap was willing to sign with Atlanta as a UFA, he'd probably be willing to sign with Toronto (neither are premier markets, but also not shit markets), especially if we continue to play like last year. If I were Masai, I'd gear up to make a nice offer to Millsap in the offseason, and also prepare to lose Amir in the process. With PPat signed long term as the backup PF, Amir doesn't have a place on the team if we bring in a starting PF. I know many people are emotionally attached to Amir and that'd be a tough pill to swallow, but it's getting to the point where we either upgrade PF (let Amir go), or don't (keep Amir and don't bring in another PF). It wouldn't make sense money/roster wise to have all three of Millsap, Amir, and PPat.
    Why?

Lowry didn't walk and had every opportunity. He played in Houston (no state tax) and had opportunity to go to Miami (no tax, desired location) or Houston again.... and play with superstars to boot.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Why?

Lowry didn't walk and had every opportunity. He played in Houston (no state tax) and had opportunity to go to Miami (no tax, desired location) or Houston again.... and play with superstars to boot.
      To a guy who's been stuck in Atlanta for his entire career, coming to a team with a devoted, raucous fan base like Toronto, may very well be a factor he considers. Atlanta is known for having a lousy, apathetic fan base, especially when a team is consistently on the no-man's-land treadmill.

Additionally, with DeRozan and Lowry starting to receive hype, recognition and all-star attention even south of the border, Toronto should start receiving more consideration by free agents.

At the very least, the new Raptors' culture should have us thinking/hoping along those lines!

Comment

• Also don't forget about Horford's Dominican background.. Bautista, Edwin, and Reyes could all vouch for him I'm sure.

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
          How about just getting Carroll then?????? We all agree that SF is our main weak spot.
          Probably best to just wait for the summer and go after him in free agency. His contract is small right now, so Atlanta won't really be tempted to shed his salary, nor will they give him away...so why waste assets to get a guy you can outright sign next summer? And with that in mind, you could be wasting assets on a guy who could walk at the end of the year.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Also don't forget about Horford's Dominican background.. Bautista, Edwin, and Reyes could all vouch for him I'm sure.
            Bro you are reaching severely on this one. The things our fans dream up. Yeah, a guy is going to decide where to spend the rest of his prime because there is more Dominicans on the cities baseball team then your average cities baseball team. Thats rich.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Bro you are reaching severely on this one. The things our fans dream up. Yeah, a guy is going to decide where to spend the rest of his prime because there is more Dominicans on the cities baseball team then your average cities baseball team. Thats rich.
              What fun is it as a fan if you can't dream?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                Why?

I'm not saying Toronto isn't desirable, just that it's not desirable enough to make Horford leave Atlanta. Atlanta will pony up big bucks to get Horford to stay, he's basically the face of the franchise. I could see him leaving Atlanta for the Lakers, not the Raptors. Horford will be in that Lowry-esque situation. He'll have lots of other offers, and a great offer from his current team. I think it will be very difficult to convince him to leave. All the BS reports about Horford not being happy in Atlanta are just that. Same as all the BS reports that Lowry was absolutely leaving for Miami or Houston or NY....

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  To a guy who's been stuck in Atlanta for his entire career, coming to a team with a devoted, raucous fan base like Toronto, may very well be a factor he considers. Atlanta is known for having a lousy, apathetic fan base, especially when a team is consistently on the no-man's-land treadmill.

Additionally, with DeRozan and Lowry starting to receive hype, recognition and all-star attention even south of the border, Toronto should start receiving more consideration by free agents.

At the very least, the new Raptors' culture should have us thinking/hoping along those lines!
                  Atlanta fans are crap for the most part, but the playoff crowds were absolutely nuts (ring a bell?). As I said earlier, Atlanta is no longer poised to be a treadmill team, the Joe Johnson era is over. They have tons of cap space and flexibility moving forward, a mix of young guys and vets on good deals, and are already a very good team, with arguably one of the best coaches in the NBA (I think Budenholzer is a really fucking good coach, watching the Hawks offense is a thing of beauty). I just don't see Casey pounding the rock being able to sell Horford on Toronto over Atlanta.

Comment

Working...
                  X