Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    I just realized this is the first second-generation Raptor player the team has ever had. Gary Trent has not just created a new category in the Raptors record books, he's #1. Nobody can ever take that away from him. I sense big things coming from him.
    Kyle Jr (Karter) not far behind him

    Comment


    • #77
      I feel like everyone already knows that trent is gonna settle for a jumper abd as a result, he is easily defended

      Comment


      • #78
        It's only his second game, let him get settled.

        One thing that I love is the drive to the foul line for a jumper. He's done it a few times already, and it's pretty difficult to contest. Reminds me of Sprewells slash and shot. Drive into the heart of the defence and valt up.

        Comment


        • #79
          saints91 wrote: View Post
          It's only his second game, let him get settled.

          One thing that I love is the drive to the foul line for a jumper. He's done it a few times already, and it's pretty difficult to contest. Reminds me of Sprewells slash and shot. Drive into the heart of the defence and valt up.
          It's a shot that all of the effective wing scorers have. If you can hit it, it's a layup. Also, for a guy that isn't as effective as getting to the hole, it's an alternative that keeps the defense honest. Glad I'm not the only one who spotted this.

          Comment


          • #80
            Sadly it’s a shot many guys don’t shot efficiently or confidently. Siakam and OG could really benefit from adding it.

            Siakam goes up soft and fades away and doesn’t fight to get to the specific spot on the court. OG kinda wanders into it and it’s more of a settling for something kind of shot.

            But players like Kemba, and Kawhi ( and Trent Jr from what I’ve seen so far) hunt these spots down. The attack them like driving and it ends up being a very efficient and hard to guard shot.

            I’m excited to see Trent grow his game. I think the change of scenery. I just hope Freddy and Siakam don’t look him off as much as they did last night.

            Comment


            • #81
              Look, I'm a fan of Siakam but he's soft; like butter soft. It hurts to take contact play after play, some avoid it some embrace it.
              Kyle seeks it, FVV will take it, even OG accepts it .... Pascal has tended to avoid it but accepts it occasionally. Doesn't have the handles to play through it effectively unfortunately.

              GT Jr. (trademarked) is a guy who looks like he'll take contact, something we sorely need on this roster with a fair number of marshmallow players without sandpaper in their game.
              Last edited by G__Deane; Mon Mar 29, 2021, 01:39 PM.

              Comment


              • #82
                saints91 wrote: View Post
                Sadly it’s a shot many guys don’t shot efficiently or confidently. Siakam and OG could really benefit from adding it.

                Siakam goes up soft and fades away and doesn’t fight to get to the specific spot on the court. OG kinda wanders into it and it’s more of a settling for something kind of shot.

                But players like Kemba, and Kawhi ( and Trent Jr from what I’ve seen so far) hunt these spots down. The attack them like driving and it ends up being a very efficient and hard to guard shot.

                I’m excited to see Trent grow his game. I think the change of scenery. I just hope Freddy and Siakam don’t look him off as much as they did last night.
                Yeah Siakam has tried a pull up but it's a Dirk-one legged fade that's way too difficult of a shot. He just needs to straight stop & pop mid-drive instead.

                And yeah the mid-range 2's were a critical piece of Kawhi's game that added a lot to this team. Defences give you that shot now and if you can hit them efficiently, that's exactly the kind of offence that stops the bleeding in a situation like last night's 10 point third quarter. And gets you clutch buckets. Two things this year's offence can't do consistently.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                Comment


                • #83
                  A floater is where its at.. can get it over a 7'0 center but requires wanting to take a mid-range jumper. Fred really needs a floater game. That should be what he works on all through the off season. Heck he should start working on it now, as the games no longer matter.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    planetmars wrote: View Post
                    A floater is where its at.. can get it over a 7'0 center but requires wanting to take a mid-range jumper. Fred really needs a floater game. That should be what he works on all through the off season. Heck he should start working on it now, as the games no longer matter.
                    Fred should watch how Chris Paul operates. They are similar in height, but Paul made a career in the mid range area.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Trent has to average 18 for the season to get a bonus or 18 for the remainder of the season? Either way, kinda doubt he gets there.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        A.I wrote: View Post

                        Fred should watch how Chris Paul operates. They are similar in height, but Paul made a career in the mid range area.
                        Yep, Chris Paul & Mike Conley both have a mean floater that shreds a lot of defences, because it adds a third/in-between element on the pick and roll for the guard (besides passing to the rolling big or driving right to the rim). You see that more on older PG's, because younger PG's developing in the Morey-ball era got spanked with a ruler any time a midrange is attempted. Now it's being revived a bit; Flynn tries it, hit a lot of them in college, not as much in the nba though. Here are Conley's:

                        2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          If only watching another player could improve your game.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            I'm not a fan of the floater, it's okay for some players, but its not an easy controlled shot. I don't think it's as efficient of a shot the the 8 to 15 jumper. Especially the type that Jordan, Sprewell, Kawhi, Kemba, and Gary Trent Jr etc. have. No fading away, just a hard stop, jump, and then release at the apex of your jump. No one is stoping that.

                            Flynn also has a pretty nice jumper when he's driving into the lane.

                            Fred frustrates me so much with his drives. Last night he drove stopped under the net, had three guys around him and still tries to put it up... result, blocked badly. He needs to watch and copy Kemba's game.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              I think Fred doesn't have the balance to shoot the pull-up midrange shot. He's so short that once he gets down there he's basically committed to getting all the way because he's basically lost in the trees. I think the game needs to slow down a lot for him to take advantage of the midrange area. As well, his shooting mechanics are not designed for pulling up on a dime, more for generating enough power to get a three up and over taller defenders.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                inthepaint wrote: View Post

                                Yep, Chris Paul & Mike Conley both have a mean floater that shreds a lot of defences, because it adds a third/in-between element on the pick and roll for the guard (besides passing to the rolling big or driving right to the rim). You see that more on older PG's, because younger PG's developing in the Morey-ball era got spanked with a ruler any time a midrange is attempted. Now it's being revived a bit; Flynn tries it, hit a lot of them in college, not as much in the nba though. Here are Conley's:

                                Tony Parker also had a great floater. Flynn is gonna need that in the pros. Malachi looks so tiny out of there... like a skinny, grade school version of Fred.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X