Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Apparently Nick doesn't mind
    when he is aggressive and gets the steal not when he is out of position.

OG gambles at times but always is in an optimal recovery position.. if you can't tell the difference I can either link video examples of both OR you can just watch for it as the season continues on. Peep the playoffs.

Comment

• Coach..u must be tripping..I just need more shots!!!
      "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
      My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

when he is aggressive and gets the steal not when he is out of position.

OG gambles at times but always is in an optimal recovery position.. if you can't tell the difference I can either link video examples of both OR you can just watch for it as the season continues on. Peep the playoffs.
        1. Health. Is Gary 100% healthy this year?
        2. Why compare him to OG, come on. Scottie often gets beaten too.
        3. Gary showed good defense last season, so he is capable when conditions are ideal.
        4. I would count out his struggles with the 76ers because real talk, that's vs Maxey and Harden. Not many defenders can really keep up with them.

Comment

• too many players on this team don’t know how to play within a offensive structure i hope we trade this kid

Comment

3. Gary showed good defense last season, so he is capable when conditions are ideal.
            4. I would count out his struggles with the 76ers because real talk, that's vs Maxey and Harden. Not many defenders can really keep up with them.
            lets go back through this HAS gary been 100% health yat all this year? Yes he has.

Last season no he was a gambler and got hunted to the nth degree in the philly series whichi I have pointed out but I dont think you actually caught on to that obvious factor. I suppose you would blame it on him having the shits for two games. But it was that final game where it was really clear and the second last game too.

OG is not who I am comparing it to.. I was making the point that its not just because he is "aggressive" it isn't just a feature of the defence to be out of position. Scottie is out of position for a different reason he gets out of position becuase he hedges up to high on defender not because he is gambling to the same degree. So no I don't make the comparison but I do point it out because its important to understand it isn't just a "feature of nurses defence"

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
              too many players on this team don’t know how to play within a offensive structure i hope we trade this kid
              Offensive structure? What team have you been watching?

Comment

lets go back through this HAS gary been 100% health yat all this year? Yes he has.

Last season no he was a gambler and got hunted to the nth degree in the philly series whichi I have pointed out but I dont think you actually caught on to that obvious factor. I suppose you would blame it on him having the shits for two games. But it was that final game where it was really clear and the second last game too.

OG is not who I am comparing it to.. I was making the point that its not just because he is "aggressive" it isn't just a feature of the defence to be out of position. Scottie is out of position for a different reason he gets out of position becuase he hedges up to high on defender not because he is gambling to the same degree. So no I don't make the comparison but I do point it out because its important to understand it isn't just a "feature of nurses defence"
                Already responded to the Sixers series.

Comment

Already responded to the Sixers series.
                  good hten we should be on the same ;page about the rest

Comment

Wasn't there a quote from Nurse posted just yesterday indicating Gary has not been 100% for most games this season?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Wasn't there a quote from Nurse posted just yesterday indicating Gary has not been 100% for most games this season?
                      very well could be but that is why I said at all. I am sure he has been healthy at some level this season at some point, no?

even still I think he can be aggressive and still be better about his positioning so he is in a better place to recover when healthy.

Comment

very well could be but that is why I said at all. I am sure he has been healthy at some level this season at some point, no?

even still I think he can be aggressive and still be better about his positioning so he is in a better place to recover when healthy.
                        I don't know. Nurse's quote said he hasn't been well for a lot of games and there have been some games Gary has been better than other in.

Definitely disappointing considering the hope was he would build on the improvements he made on defense last year, but to date he hasn't event been at the level he was last year. At least we have information now identifying a reason for his decline and can hope we see those improvements once he is well again. My fear was that he might just not be the hard working type our team has built a foundation on and isn't putting the work in.

Comment

• The reality is Gary is not a very good defender on an island. So they had him lean into disruptor last season, since he was going to get beat anyway the gambles weren't all that much of an additional risk. Nick is upset with the defence this year because he's reduced that gambling, which as noted doesn't actually buy us much in way of solid defence because he's not good at that.

As with everybody it seems, there's probably a health aspect going on as part of that, but Nick saying anything about it means he doesn't really think it's about that.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Great points….it would be disingenuous to say the Gary is a bad defender when VanVleet based on eye test has given up scoring opportunities himself. Jesus cannot make mistakes in the eyes of coach Nick Nurse so the best scapegoat is Gary Trent lol.
                            Yet when push comes to shove, the best and safest excuse not to directly criticize Mr. VanVleet shitting in bed at both ends of the court is his health which to me is applicable to Trent as well if everything is seen at face value.

Dishonest to say that Trent is a bad defender but will also say on the other side of his mouth that there is no specific statistical metric out there to accurately measure defensive strength of a player.

Me however on Both sides of my mouth can honestly say that Derozan is the worse defender who had don that shooting guard Raptors jersey of all time.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Great points….it would be disingenuous to say the Gary is a bad defender when VanVleet based on eye test has given up scoring opportunities himself. Jesus cannot make mistakes in the eyes of coach Nick Nurse so the best scapegoat is Gary Trent lol.
                              Yet when push comes to shove, the best and safest excuse not to directly criticize Mr. VanVleet shitting in bed at both ends of the court is his health which to me is applicable to Trent as well if everything is seen at face value.

Dishonest to say that Trent is a bad defender but will also say on the other side of his mouth that there is no specific statistical metric out there to accurately measure defensive strength of a player.

Me however on Both sides of my mouth can honestly say that Derozan is the worse defender who had don that shooting guard Raptors jersey of all time.
                              Statistics are great and useful things to have to back up our opinions on here, but not pre-requisites for those opinions.

My opinion is that Gary is a bad defender, based on watching him play. Some people agree, obviously some don't. Nick seems to be among those who agree, based on his usage of Gary and his critique of his recent play, but perhaps not.

I would agree that Gary is nowhere near the defensive problem DeMar was. Of course, he's also nowhere near the offensive player DeMar took leaps and bounds to become in order to provide positive overall value.

I do think Fred has had a bad defensive year by his standards, but his standards are way higher than Gary's, and there's a reason for that.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

id give that award to walt williams

Comment

Working...
                                X