Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

It's also about expectations. Fred at 23 was in his second year. He was a guy that we brought in as an undrafted free agent.. like Dowtin. And he helped our bench a lot in 2018, even getting 6MOY votes.

DeMar at 23 was definitely getting it.. and when he got his rookie extension it was judged harshly at the time. He ended up making the all-star team the next year but was still always a guy that got ripped apart a lot. The "Everything DeMar" thread was full of vile. But he also had his super fans. And that made discussions tough to sift through as it was always two sides angrily debating between each other.

Trent taking that 2+1 deal and being on the verge of being a UFA, at least for me, feels like he was just on loan. Masai/Bobby never talk about him. Is he even going to be part of the Raptors future? I personally feel like he's just a rental. So I look at his game that way. I could be wrong, but I'm not personally caring about his long term career as a Raptor, because I don't think there is going to be one. If he re-signs with us in the off season for a long term deal, then that's when I will start looking at his game more carefully. But for now he just feels like an every day role player. Like a younger Danny Green.
    Then there is nothing wrong with that expectation. Not bad for a 37th pick second rounder who is still 23 years old and that was the main point of Yuri.

But the strong opinions and vile about Gary’s defense around here while the guy is suffering an injury is extreme. On the flip side, defending VanVleet poor play at both ends of the court has a very simple explanation….he is injured. Lol.

Coach Nick has his favorites like any other coaches around. The chosen one is the chosen one.

Comment

• What would be really telling is if this quote from Nurse is foreshadowing moving Gary to the bench. He's shown confidence in Trent thus far by starting him.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Then there is nothing wrong with that expectation. Not bad for a 37th pick second rounder who is still 23 years old and that was the main point of Yuri.

But the strong opinions and vile about Gary’s defense around here while the guy is suffering an injury is extreme. On the flip side, defending VanVleet poor play at both ends of the court has a very simple explanation….he is injured. Lol.

Coach Nick has his favorites like any other coaches around. The chosen one is the chosen one.
        Nurse talked about Gary's injuries too though. It was in that full quote by Lewenberg and not just the hot take he extracted out of it. Nurse was creating an excuse through his own criticisms. Nurse talks that way. When he's negative he says something positive to balance it.

But yeah Fred is well liked by the organization which is why it will be tough for them to trade him. And it's why I don't bother coming up with a Fred fantasy trade.

Comment

Nurse talked about Gary's injuries too though. It was in that full quote by Lewenberg and not just the hot take he extracted out of it. Nurse was creating an excuse through his own criticisms. Nurse talks that way. When he's negative he says something positive to balance it.

But yeah Fred is well liked by the organization which is why it will be tough for them to trade him. And it's why I don't bother coming up with a Fred fantasy trade.
          A marketing man won’t devalue his asset by saying negative stuff about him then trade him.

But I have a different POV about this, totally different from yours …so please hear me out mr. Marsman.

….this as just a challenge to the 23 years old, unfortunately the injuries is preventing the player from maximizing his full potential, they are just eager to strengthen their justification to ownership of shelling out millions in re-signing a 37th pick second rounder role player in the offseason .

….meanwhile they have to preserve the value of VanVleet as they don’t want to diminish him in the open market because outside of Pascal, Scottie and OG…..he is their next best tradeable asset before the deadline.

Comment

A marketing man won’t devalue his asset by saying negative stuff about him then trade him.

But I have a different POV about this, totally different from yours …so please hear me out mr. Marsman.

….this as just a challenge to the 23 years old, unfortunately the injuries is preventing the player from maximizing his full potential, they are just eager to strengthen their justification to ownership of shelling out millions in re-signing a 37th pick second rounder role player in the offseason .

….meanwhile they have to preserve the value of VanVleet as they don’t want to diminish him in the open market because outside of Pascal, Scottie and OG…..he is their next best tradeable asset before the deadline.
            In my opinion Fred and Gary are not great assets for the deadline because they are both likely UFA's. So a team would be giving away assets on rentals. It'll only works out if a team is trying to shed money and wants to give up a guy on a long term deal. Or if we swapped them for guys that are also on expiring deals. Like that Norm for Gary trade.

I don't see a "star" being available. Deadline deals are tough and got a lot harder with so much parity in the league now.

Comment

In my opinion Fred and Gary are not great assets for the deadline because they are both likely UFA's. So a team would be giving away assets on rentals. It'll only works out if a team is trying to shed money and wants to give up a guy on a long term deal. Or if we swapped them for guys that are also on expiring deals. Like that Norm for Gary trade.

I don't see a "star" being available. Deadline deals are tough and got a lot harder with so much parity in the league now.

Yes, I don’t think there is a player out there who could move the needle for Trent straight up….might as well hang on to him. If him, his agent, Bobby and Masai can come up with another reasonable short term agreement in the offseason that would benefit post parties so be it…. after all he is only 23.

Having said, it would be interesting what they can come up with prior to the deadline but most likely they stand pat. Another playoff appearance would definitely give them another good gauge where they are at in the offseason with Scottie obviously the centerpiece and their main foundation on how to move forward.

A bigger trade to get a star like Durant or Shae could still be in the cards….and the only two who could be off the table are Pascal and Scottie, arguably OG….everyone else including future picks are fair game in my opinion.

But still sticking to the Claw Reborn trade deadline scenario of VanVleet/ Birch and Precious for Markannen and Olynyk. It’s up to both Ainge and Bobby liking if picks should be involve.

good discussion mr. Marsman as always

Comment

Guys entering free agency aren't rentals if you intend to keep them. We traded for Gary when he was entering free agency and resigned him. We traded for Thad when he was entering free agency and resigned him. Gary and Fred will have tons of value to any team that wants them long term. Just pay them and they'll stay.

Comment

But Derozan is like a sore thumb that stuck out for a decade.

thankfully we got one of the best defender of all time for him and landed us our one and only championship.

there is a god.
                  And the hope is if Trent can turn into half the player derozan is, he might be used to facilitate the same type of trade.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

And the hope is if Trent can turn into half the player derozan is, he might be used to facilitate the same type of trade.
                    Of course….right now Trent could be our Poeltl with VanVleet as Derozan to get a disgruntled Star…why not.

However down the road….waiting for Trent to maximize his full potential requires patience…..but at 23 years old, 37th second round pick with comparable numbers to the former SG when he was 23, I am hopeful. As I said before different skillset/ strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

Of course….right now Trent could be our Poeltl with VanVleet as Derozan to get a disgruntled Star…why not.

However down the road….waiting for Trent to maximize his full potential requires patience…..but at 23 years old, 37th second round pick with comparable numbers to the former SG when he was 23, I am hopeful. As I said before different skillset/ strengths and weaknesses.
                      Well, Gary can't be our Poeltl, Poeltl was a lotto pick on his rookie scale deal with RFA ahead of him.

I fully expect the Raptors' plan is to keep Gary, sign him to a long term deal this summer, and THEN pursue his trade value in following years when they approach a cap crunch and can more confidently say he isn't progressing to where they would hope defensively.

None of that changes how poor his defence has been early this season.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Well, Gary can't be our Poeltl, Poeltl was a lotto pick on his rookie scale deal with RFA ahead of him.

I fully expect the Raptors' plan is to keep Gary, sign him to a long term deal this summer, and THEN pursue his trade value in following years when they approach a cap crunch and can more confidently say he isn't progressing to where they would hope defensively.

well yeah I think they will explore something now if there is something available they will pounce otherwise again you roll the asset over

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Poeltl was the Trade filler

DanH wrote: View Post
                          . Good

DanH wrote: View Post
                          He ….is…..injured…..Hips…..are……bothering…..him.

So is VanVleet who is also pathetic on defense early this season.

Nurse chose to call out Trent
                          Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Wed Nov 23, 2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Poeltl was the Trade filler

. Good

He ….is…..injured…..Hips…..are……bothering…..him.

So is VanVleet who is also pathetic on defense early this season.

Nurse chose to call out Trent
                            Pehaps the players will now realize that it is not in their best interest to play through injuries.

Comment

• and the hot streak is back on

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                                and the hot streak is back on
                                4/12 from the field. 0 reb, 0 assist is a hot streak. Ok then.....
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X