No announcement yet.

Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far down the bench is Rodney Hood sitting?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      How far down the bench is Rodney Hood sitting?
      Next to Malachi

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        So no love for Rodney Hood. We picked Bruno over him in the draft, but we ended up getting him anyway

The only thing I remember of Hood is him having panic attacks in the playoffs when he was on Cleveland during the Lebronto years.
        Hood has not been the same since he tore his Achilles tendon.

He might be out of the league by next season.

Comment

Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Next to Malachi
          I hope he's picking out some nice suits.

Comment

Would have loved a pick for Norm but Trent is a pretty solid return. He played big time in the playoffs a couple of years ago. He's got a bit of shot creation developing as well. I'm a bit worried about the lack of true shot creation in the lineup now, though. Between Trent and Fred there's not really any formidable penetration potential.

Comment

Trent declined a 4 year $54M contract extension (13.5M AAV). I suppose that means he's looking for something in the 17-20M/yr range this off-season. He's not a good defender, possibly even very bad, from what I recall.

I guess this trade was all about making sure we got a controllable asset back for Norm.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                Trent declined a 4 year $54M contract extension (13.5M AAV). I suppose that means he's looking for something in the 17-20M/yr range this off-season. He's not a good defender, possibly even very bad, from what I recall.

I guess this trade was all about making sure we got a controllable asset back for Norm.
                I would say he is slightly above average defensively. He can defend both guard positions decently, though he does struggle in screen and roll at times. He is not that great against bigger wings though he is pesky - not sure how that will translate if the Raps switch everything. He is definitely not a guy who can guard stars consistently as he has some physical limitations. The good news is that he plays really hard and some of his defensive issues have more to do with technique (he tends to give up a lot of runway to ballhandlers and he opens up a lot on screens for some reason), so that should improve. I think his defense will play in Toronto cause he'll have FVV, OG and Siakam around him. If you compare him to Norm, not sure we will see much if any fall-off - they have a lot of the same deficiencies. His issue are exacerbated in Portland cause the Blazers just stink on defense - like worst in the league bad.

Trent also has a little sandpaper to him.

EDIT: I would say that if teams are searching out matchups against him you can live with it cause he isn't a liability.
                Last edited by slaw; Thu Mar 25, 2021, 04:37 PM.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

I would say he is slightly above average defensively. He can defend both guard positions decently, though he does struggle in screen and roll at times. He is not that great against bigger wings though he is pesky - not sure how that will translate if the Raps switch everything. He is definitely not a guy who can guard stars consistently as he has some physical limitations. The good news is that he plays really hard and some of his defensive issues have more to do with technique (he tends to give up a lot of runway to ballhandlers and he opens up a lot on screens for some reason), so that should improve. I think his defense will play in Toronto cause he'll have FVV, OG and Siakam around him. If you compare him to Norm, not sure we will see much if any fall-off - they have a lot of the same deficiencies. His issue are exacerbated in Portland cause the Blazers just stink on defense - like worst in the league bad.

EDIT: I would say that if teams are searching out matchups against him you can live with it cause he isn't a liability.
                  I don't think playing for the Blazers he was taught very much defense ... Opponents avg 115.5 per game against the Blazers .

Comment

Trent is the only defender on that Blazers team. They got Lillard, CJ and Carmelo. With OG and Pascal Trent will not guard the best player anymore
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Trent is the only defender on that Blazers team. They got Lillard, CJ and Carmelo. With OG and Pascal Trent will not guard the best player anymore
                      He hasn't been guarding the best guys as much this season. There's some nuance here cause his minutes have gone way up and his usage with it, so some drop-off defensively is to be expected.

Comment

Sounds like he's a character guy too which doesn't come as a surprise.

Comment

Portland will be fun to watch. A lot of "clutch" in that lineup
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

Sounds like you watch a lot more Blazers than I do, so that's encouraging about GTJr. It's probably difficult to draw any conclusions about any player's defensive capability on that team, since that concept doesn't even exist over there.

Comment

Alright guys, I will be the FIRST one to say this, I think Gary Trent Jr. is the next coming Jamal Murray, and yes Masai did it again

Comment

I remember thinking I like this Trent Jr. kid when we played them and watching him in the bubble games (I watched a lot of Portland
                                min the bubble for some reason). I don’t think he’s as good as Powell but he is younger and has time to develop and much easier contract to handle.

I will be fun to watch a new guy. 🤞

Comment

Working...
                                X