No announcement yet.

Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you have to love about Trent is he's gotten significantly better every season he's played, and he's only 22 years old. If he takes another step up next season he'll be a very solid starting SG. He's not going to take years to contribute he is ready now.

A 40% 3pt shooter on 7.4 attempts per game is nothing to sneeze at and makes him playable while he improves his defense and offensive repertoire.

Keep in mind Norm didn't really do too much for us until last season at age 26, and Trent is already playing as well as Norm did last year at age 22.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Sounds like you watch a lot more Blazers than I do, so that's encouraging about GTJr. It's probably difficult to draw any conclusions about any player's defensive capability on that team, since that concept doesn't even exist over there.
      They were my team before the Raps. Still have a soft spot for them. I actually really like Trent. Don't think we lose anything here and he's a guy who I would definitely re-sign. As a part-time Blazers fan, I don't really like the trade for Portland cause I thought they were going to move him for front court help.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

They were my team before the Raps. Still have a soft spot for them. I actually really like Trent. Don't think we lose anything here and he's a guy who I would definitely re-sign. As a part-time Blazers fan, I don't really like the trade for Portland cause I thought they were going to move him for front court help.
        Feels like we traded for a younger, cheaper, taller but less athletic version of Powell, with maybe a chance that he has some untapped upside that didn’t have a chance to flourish behind CJ and Dame. Sideways move, but ok asset management I suppose.

Comment

Feels like we traded for a younger, cheaper, taller but less athletic version of Powell, with maybe a chance that he has some untapped upside that didn’t have a chance to flourish behind CJ and Dame. Sideways move, but ok asset management I suppose.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Look, there is a portion of the Blazers fanbase that wanted to move CJ for frontcourt help and keep Trent as the SG. Like, he's not a bad player by any stretch. It's a bit off the board from expectations but it makes a lot of sense for the Raps.

Comment

I wonder if we see him play tomorrow

Comment

Looking like we'll see both Trent and Hood play tomorrow. Do either of them start? Or are we going back to Baynes? Seems like Nurse wants to stick with Boucher off the bench.

Comment

I mean...not everybody gets defensive highlights

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                    Looking like we'll see both Trent and Hood play tomorrow. Do either of them start? Or are we going back to Baynes? Seems like Nurse wants to stick with Boucher off the bench.
                    i think nurse will give hood a shot off the bench at some point before the end of the season, but i don't expect he'll earn steady minutes.

i expect trent will start in norm's place in a lot of small ball lineups the rest of the way (unless we pick up a productive big in the buy out market, which is unlikely with our current record), if not right on night one since he won't be acclimated. but basically i think he walks right into the role norm left.

we see norm on sunday, too bad it's not at ACC

Comment

I read somewhere that there is a threshold where if Gary Trent starts so many games his qualifying goes from 2 to 4. So he may come off the bench to keep that number down for cap room.

One of the reasons we were starting Powell was because his play was night and day when coming off the bench compared to starting. Perhaps we go back to a more traditional lineup.

Comment

Good highlight videos. He hit more threes in the first video than Gasol did in his two seasons here. (Not comparing them, other than to say he has a real 3 pt shot). Nice use of hands in his D, though we didn't see highlights of all the fouls he got called for by taking swipes. He shoots enough threes, and well enough, to open the floor up as much as Norm did. It will be really interesting to see how he fits into the Raps defensive schemes. Obviously a + defensive player as compared to Norm's average or a little below rating.

Going to miss Norm a lot, but getting ready to root for Trent.

Comment

Ok, so I've been doing my research on GT Jr, and starting to get excited. Look at how he was described before the draft. He has that clutch gene in him that wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to shine with Dame and CJ ahead of him.

This is exactly the type of player we need here. He has the anti-Siakam mentality.

Tough and physical swingman … Fundamentally sound player … Known for being a high level shooter, especially from beyond the arc … Compact and consistent jumper … Sweet shooting touch … Can shoot the three off screens or pull-up in mid-range spots … Impressive scoring instincts/shot-maker … Clutch player who wants the ball in his hands at the end of games … Can finish through contact … Makes good use of floaters and improvised runners in the lane … Knows his strengths and plays with great technique … Not afraid of taking big shots in big situations … Can get hot from three by both spotting up and off the dribble … Has very good range on his jumper … Decent scorer off the dribble … Can score off the move and from all three levels … Excellent free throw shooter … A successful scorer in the open floor … A good scorer on straight line drives
                          https://www.nbadraft.net/players/gary-trent-jr/

Comment

His form is really good. Bodes well for further development. Like pull ups and stuff. I wonder why Blazers gave up on him though lol

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              His form is really good. Bodes well for further development. Like pull ups and stuff. I wonder why Blazers gave up on him though lol
                              Yeah I don't get why Portland let him go. I know they offered him a $54M extension that he refused.

Norm makes no sense long term in Portland unless they plan to trade CJ for something else, and want to slot Norm into that CJ role going forward.

But Norm is a UFA and can walk if he wants as well. Trent was an RFA so they could match any offers and not lose the asset.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah I don't get why Portland let him go. I know they offered him a $54M extension that he refused.

Norm makes no sense long term in Portland unless they plan to trade CJ for something else, and want to slot Norm into that CJ role going forward.

But Norm is a UFA and can walk if he wants as well. Trent was an RFA so they could match any offers and not lose the asset.
                                I don't think CJ will be back next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X