Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TomAmnot wrote: View Post
    But I don't understand what it means in the sense that if another team offers him a big contract this summer, we'll have to match it to keep him, right?
    Correct - but from NBA.com's primer on Restricted Free Agency..

The team making the offer must have enough salary cap room for the offer sheet and must maintain that room until the offer sheet becomes official or the original team exercises the right of first refusal. The original team cannot match an offer greater than its salary cap room. That original team must have room for both the regular salary and any unlikely bonuses the offer sheet includes.
    The offering team has to have sufficient cap space to make the offer - so capped out teams can't make an offer at all, which starts to limit the market a bit.. If the offer sheet is reasonable (and an offer has to be at least two years in length), then the team is likely to match it, rather than go through the qualifying offer process

If the offer sheet is unreasonable (say offering Gary Trent Jr. $20M/year), then the Raptors would take the maximum 48h (during which that $20M isn't available to the offering team to sign other free agents) before declining to match the offer - thus crippling that team in cap space for paying a rotation player superstar money.

Comment

Is Gary Trent playing tonight anyone hear? DanH we need a GDT!
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

I'd assume so. Blazers played Miami earlier, so they were in Florida, Trent came to Tampa around midnight.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

So funny....I was actually just sitting down to start a thread (I was so excited). I've just gotten used to the fact that we always need someone new after the last game. Glad I saw this post. Go Raps!

Comment

LOL oh yeah I guess I have to make like 20 game threads in a row now.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

For the record, I like Trent a lot. Heck of a shooter, not as much a driver as Norm but plays within himself very well (barely dribbles, hence very low turnover rate). Has a lot of defensive tools and is high energy, but like many other young guys is not really impactful on that end yet (not everyone can be OG). Loads of upside in terms of high end 3+D. Have to expect to be paying somewhere in the 10-15M per year range, which fits a little better long term than the 20M+ Norm was gonna get. And his low cap hold (2M but quite possibly bumped to 5M if he averages about 18 a game the rest of the way to meet the starter criteria) will still let the Raps play with cap room first before re-signing him if they want depending on who else they keep, while Norm's would not have.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                His form is really good. Bodes well for further development. Like pull ups and stuff. I wonder why Blazers gave up on him though lol
                In the highlight videos, every shot went up the same way. As you say, good form.

Comment

so what did y'all think of his first presence (and start!) with the team?

Comment

Decent d but not much else. But hard to expect much in his first game with a new team i suppose, although norm got on just fine, but that was without lillard.

Comment

I'm not going to compare him to Norm. he kid is 22 with loads of potential. Should get plenty of run here to see hat we've got to work with. Great attitude in the interview I saw too, wants to learn and grow

Comment

He did seem a bit out of place on some possessions and Fred and Pascal did ignore him on some possessions as well, but they'll all get used to each other. He played decent defense in that game and his 3s didn't fall, but he has potential and I firmly believe he will be a very good player in the future.

Comment

I thought it was Patty Mills out there.

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post

He did seem a bit out of place on some possessions and Fred and Pascal did ignore him on some possessions as well, but they'll all get used to each other. He played decent defense in that game and his 3s didn't fall, but he has potential and I firmly believe he will be a very good player in the future.
                            On the most critical possession, after FVV and Siakam freezing out Trent for most of the game .... Pascal finally decides to pass it to him for the go ahead 3 and GT bricks it. Classic FVV and Siakam your-turn, my-turn game last night.

Comment

FVV+Trent is an elite-shooting backcourt, and should be elite D as well. Going to win a lot of games in future seasons.

Comment

I just realized this is the first second-generation Raptor player the team has ever had. Gary Trent has not just created a new category in the Raptors record books, he's #1. Nobody can ever take that away from him. I sense big things coming from him.

Comment

Working...
                                X