Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
    Isn't it true, even if his contract is 20 mil, that it doesn't affect our cap space the same way as norm, something like a 5 million hit regardless?
    He has about a $4.7M cap hold. Which means that when signing other free agents with cap room, we have to slot that $4.7M into that cap space first before we can shop for other free agents. If we do that, we should have something like $18M in cap space (and an additional $7M more if we waive Boucher). Norm had a $16-17M cap hold. So if we had his cap hold, we'd have way less room to operate.

Once Trent is signed, then the cap space will be wiped out. So the plan would be to not sign him until after we spend all our money in free agency first.

Of course this all depends on Kyle Lowry. If Kyle Lowry comes back, then his contract will wipe out all our cap space, and Trent Jr's cap hold won't matter then.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Ok, so I've been doing my research on GT Jr, and starting to get excited. Look at how he was described before the draft. He has that clutch gene in him that wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to shine with Dame and CJ ahead of him.

This is exactly the type of player we need here. He has the anti-Siakam mentality.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/gary-trent-jr/
      Yup.

Comment

• Agreed... expect the pecking order to change next year.

Comment

• Masai delivered again

Comment

• Gonna be a big fan favorite by the time he makes his debut in Toronto
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Just realized that GTJ is the youngest player on the team. WTF? Younger than our most recent draft picks, Flynn & Harris.

That was basically like getting an NBA-ready first round pick for Norm, with the downside being that we have to pay him $20M/yr in the off-season, instead of being rookie scale for 5 years.

Comment

Just realized that GTJ is the youngest player on the team. WTF? Younger than our most recent draft picks, Flynn & Harris.

That was basically like getting an NBA-ready first round pick for Norm, with the downside being that we have to pay him $20M/yr in the off-season, instead of being rookie scale for 5 years.
                Yeah, you can debate which player is better right now. There is no contest on which player was better at 22.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Just realized that GTJ is the youngest player on the team. WTF? Younger than our most recent draft picks, Flynn & Harris.

Might be as low as $15M per year. He's restricted and not a lot of teams have cap space. The draft is super SG heavy so I think his market will be even more depressed.

Comment

• Glue him to the bench!

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                      Glue him to the bench!
                      6th man when Kyle & FVV get back? Or go small and start him at SF?

Comment

6th man when Kyle & FVV get back? Or go small and start him at SF?
                        They ran small with Boucher off the bench when GTJ got traded here, so I assume they will continue that.

Comment

• Great game winner last night, but don't want to get my expectations too high for Trent yet.

Something Nurse said in the post game presser about Trent having a bit of shake to his game (not word for word) brought me down to reality a bit. I took Nurses words to mean that Trent has shown a slight ability to create space for himself for open shots. I think when we start thinking about Trent being a closer or a guy that displaces FVV or Pascal in the pecking order for shots you gotta ask if he can realistically breakdown defenders in an iso situation. He's shown and maybe due to the way he's been used to be a catch and shoot guy more than an isolation scorer.

He's young and hope he gets an opportunity to develop that part of his game.

Comment

• That game winner was probably a development decision by Nurse. He had the ball, Nurse didn't call a time out and GTJ went the length of the court and hit it.

GTJ has shot creating in his arsenal, but not necessarily in an iso situation. He seems perfect for using screens or pump fakes, dribbling to his spots and pulling up for a jumper.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                              That game winner was probably a development decision by Nurse. He had the ball, Nurse didn't call a time out and GTJ went the length of the court and hit it.

GTJ has shot creating in his arsenal, but not necessarily in an iso situation. He seems perfect for using screens or pump fakes, dribbling to his spots and pulling up for a jumper.
                              Not a development decision. A split-second call... and a good one.

“Gary caught that thing, the rebound, facing the open floor,” Nurse said. “I almost called (timeout) because … you’re making a split-second decision there, but I thought he got the rebound facing the right direction and I looked up and it was 5.3 (seconds) or something and I figured: Well, there we go. We’ve got plenty of time to get it up there and get a shot.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                Great game winner last night, but don't want to get my expectations too high for Trent yet.

Something Nurse said in the post game presser about Trent having a bit of shake to his game (not word for word) brought me down to reality a bit. I took Nurses words to mean that Trent has shown a slight ability to create space for himself for open shots. I think when we start thinking about Trent being a closer or a guy that displaces FVV or Pascal in the pecking order for shots you gotta ask if he can realistically breakdown defenders in an iso situation. He's shown and maybe due to the way he's been used to be a catch and shoot guy more than an isolation scorer.

He's young and hope he gets an opportunity to develop that part of his game.
                                Unfortunately, neither Van Vleet who always get stuffed under the rim nor Siakam whos finishes lately are always short to the rim are as effective either. Why we are where we are.

GTJ and Norm then are trying to justify we have to two 28 yrs old getting overpaid their potential are now asked to be no.1 option because according to one resident poster here, it is not Van Vleet or Siakam
                                fault that they are being asked to carry the team. That is the most asinine and stupidest justification I have read so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X