Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I get that Blazers need to win now, but Gary is giving you pretty much what Norm does, is a better defender and 5 years younger. We're winning that trade right now, and in 5 years my guess is the word "fleeced" might be attached to this trade.
    But Gary isn't giving you what Norm does. It's not even close when you look at efficiency stats.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Not sure why the Blazers and Sixers haven't ironed out the details of a Simmons for McCollum swap yet. It instantly puts both teams up a tier in their respective conference, imo
      Probably cause Morey is asking for Lillard, 15 first round picks and access to the water of the Columbia river in return
      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Probably cause Morey is asking for Lillard, 15 first round picks and access to the water of the Columbia river in return
        He is also trying to involve Brooklyn in a 3 team deal to get Durant as well. He is going to package a 2025 second round pick to get it done.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Well Morey is outsmarting himself, and is on his way to kissing the season goodbye, a rare year where it's wide open competiition to the championship.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

But Gary isn't giving you what Norm does. It's not even close when you look at efficiency stats.

Not arguing that Norm is having the better year on offense, but consider the defense and that Gary is 5 years younger. You're comparing a mostly finished product to one that's just starting to develop. I don't know where you guys find these stats, but I'd be curious what the comparison is between the two at the same age.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Not sure why the Blazers and Sixers haven't ironed out the details of a Simmons for McCollum swap yet. It instantly puts both teams up a tier in their respective conference, imo
              Agreed. Simmons at PF is a far better fit beside Lillard than Embiid. Norm is capable of averaging 20 PPG and fills in for McCollum.

Comment

Not arguing that Norm is having the better year on offense, but consider the defense and that Gary is 5 years younger. You're comparing a mostly finished product to one that's just starting to develop. I don't know where you guys find these stats, but I'd be curious what the comparison is between the two at the same age.
                Blazers want finished products to put around Dame, so I'm not arguing anything you're saying either. Let's not forget that Norm has championship DNA and always has a number of signature playoff games on his resume. I think that's what was attractive to Portland's front office, but maybe not to fans who always lust after "potential".

Still though, there's a bit of a problem with Gary's "potential". We only have him under contract for 2 years and then he's un-restricted. The contract is a huge win-win for Gary. He gets to develop on our dime and then use our player development against us when it's time to re-sign. We won't get much excess value out of his contract. Maybe Blazers front office knew that.

Comment

• Why did we have to give Trent a player option? I really really hate that part of his deal.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Why did we have to give Trent a player option? I really really hate that part of his deal.
                    We didn't have to, but I imagine without the player option his AAV would be higher, whether it was a two year or three year deal. People already bitched about his AAV as it is.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The two things that stand out to me from looking at their game-by-game numbers is that Norm gets to the line a lot more (and more consistently) and needs fewer shots to be effective (some of that is the free throws as well). Now, some of that is influenced by other factors, for example, 2021-22 Trent isn't playing with Lillard and he's also getting a lot of grenades thrown in his lap when our iso offense breaks down. Haven't watched any Portland this season so hard to say how Norm is playing but I suspect Trent has an edge on the defensive end.

Comment

Why did we have to give Trent a player option? I really really hate that part of his deal.
                        You don't think he'll want to stay with the Raptors? He'll have been here for a couple of years by then and we've had pretty good success resigning our players. Kawhi was obviously an exception because he had his mind made up he wanted to be in L.A. before he left San Antonio.

Comment

You don't think he'll want to stay with the Raptors? He'll have been here for a couple of years by then and we've had pretty good success resigning our players. Kawhi was obviously an exception because he had his mind made up he wanted to be in L.A. before he left San Antonio.
                          Him leaving is always a possibility.

I'm more worried that his next contract will be significantly more than what he got this past summer. And he got a "bet on yourself contract" since he's so young. So even though he had a similar AAV to Norm. Norm was for 5 years, no options. After 2 years, if Trent opts out, his next contract will likely have a higher AAV than Norm's does now.

Trent could be better than Norm.. and some could agree that he is already since he's a better defender. Plus he's a lot younger. But Trent did us no favours with his deal at all. It's a big deal and will likely get even bigger in 2 years, assuming we can keep him.

I just don't like player options as you lose a lot of flexibility. But I guess that's what you have to do if you have a team in Canada.

Comment

I think GTJ will simply go where they pay him the most money. I think that player option was there cause Gary probably wanted more & banked on getting a lot more. He is probably eyeing a CJ McCollum type of money in order to keep him. Whether he will be worth it (you ain't getting a discount) time will only tell.

Comment

Him leaving is always a possibility.

I'm more worried that his next contract will be significantly more than what he got this past summer. And he got a "bet on yourself contract" since he's so young. So even though he had a similar AAV to Norm. Norm was for 5 years, no options. After 2 years, if Trent opts out, his next contract will likely have a higher AAV than Norm's does now.

Trent could be better than Norm.. and some could agree that he is already since he's a better defender. Plus he's a lot younger. But Trent did us no favours with his deal at all. It's a big deal and will likely get even bigger in 2 years, assuming we can keep him.

I just don't like player options as you lose a lot of flexibility. But I guess that's what you have to do if you have a team in Canada.

To me Trent projects to be the caliber of player as FVV and Siakam in a couple years, developing into something along the lines of an All Star or a fringe All Star. You can only have so many of those guys on your roster and remember OG is heading in that direction as well. Maybe Barnes develops continues to develop faster than initially anticipated? At some point you have to convert those quarters into dollars so maybe Masai looks at trading Gary or trading Siakam/FVV to clear some cap space to pay Gary. There will be options.

Comment

• Trent's stats at age 22 are similar to Beal at that age. Yes I'm unreasonable
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X