Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chris wrote: View Post

leaving aside how abusrd it is to use the "poor mans" qualifier here because OG is already way better than corliss williamson ever was, can you explain just WTF you think they have in common?

corliss was an old school, slow footed and undersized power forward who operated almost exclusively in the post and guarded only other forwards, who attempted 44 three pointers in 822 games. OG operates mostly on the perimeter, attempted 6.6 threes per game this year, and can guard all 5 positions.

it's like you're just pulling names out of hats.
    can i ask a question, i like to ask question sometimes.

so you don’t think OG is slow footed?

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

no not really, particularly not for a guy his size. has the footspeed and agility to stay in smaller and quicker guards, which i never saw in corliss williamson. i think he looks slow footed sometimes with the ball in his hands because he's not a great ballhandler and is therefore thinking more/reacting less, but i wouldn't call him slow footed.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
        it's like you're just pulling names out of hats.
        Pulling outta somewhere -- but it ain't a hat.

Comment

• He's definitely a chucker. Needs to learn to pass, or when to pass actually. Should come off the bench next season if retained.

Comment

slow footed? I mean he isn't the fastest on the team but he definitely isn't slow footed. Have you not seen him recover on guys who drive past him. Oh man nonono. He is not a slow guy. He is a bit awkward when he runs.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

slow footed? I mean he isn't the fastest on the team but he definitely isn't slow footed. Have you not seen him recover on guys who drive past him. Oh man nonono. He is not a slow guy. He is a bit awkward when he runs.
              ever watch him post up?

i turned on some youtube and watch corliss williamson again…just highlights but to me corliss looks faster than OG.

another thing i noticed from watching a few guys from my era lol and remembering haha is that they did a lot less dribbling. when they got the ball they paused triple threat then made a move. this era just dribbles even when going nowhere or just goes because the action says they must go in this direction.

1. it takes away your opinions
              2. you don’t give your teammates time to react and may start moving even before the other guy has set up

Comment

• OG's biggest drawback, like many have said, is his handle. I also think he tries to do too much, and he doesn't have the balance to be a finesse guy. He needs to develop his dribbling, but I also think he should be doing less iso, they should be finding ways for him to get the ball in better situations. He shouldn't be trying to break guys down from the perimeter.

He's still a very good player, and prospect... just needs to focus on different stuff.

As for Gary, I agree his on ball D has to be better, less gambling, be more fundamental at staying in front of his man. Offensively, his court vision will improve with experience, he has a nice 3 level game... I don't know how you improve consistency, but that's his biggest weakness. You can't go from putting up 30's to putting up single digits. He improved quite a bit from his days in Portland, I'm excited to see what he does in the offseason. You don't have to be worried about him putting in work.

Comment

• OG isn't slow footed on D... I agree he's slow with the ball in his hands... and he plods up the floor sometimes.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                    OG's biggest drawback, like many have said, is his handle. I also think he tries to do too much, and he doesn't have the balance to be a finesse guy. He needs to develop his dribbling, but I also think he should be doing less iso, they should be finding ways for him to get the ball in better situations. He shouldn't be trying to break guys down from the perimeter.

He's still a very good player, and prospect... just needs to focus on different stuff.

As for Gary, I agree his on ball D has to be better, less gambling, be more fundamental at staying in front of his man. Offensively, his court vision will improve with experience, he has a nice 3 level game... I don't know how you improve consistency, but that's his biggest weakness. You can't go from putting up 30's to putting up single digits. He improved quite a bit from his days in Portland, I'm excited to see what he does in the offseason. You don't have to be worried about him putting in work.
                    on your point about trent and to go deeper into what i was saying about the different eras of basketball. trent just goes, too many wasted movements in his game. yes, your fast, yes you got a quick pull up but where are you going? just cause you see a clearing doesn’t mean it’s open or you have to go right right now.

slow the f down for a sec think young man. once you put the ball on the floor you have committed. sure you can try all the things he does to put up a shot but that’s wasted movements wasted energy. for what a bad contested shot or a meaningless skip pass. this is chess not checkers and i don’t see signs gary can get there.

i always would tell players you know your making progress when the man guarding u doesn’t exist anymore. he is very far from that
                    Last edited by grindhouse; Sat Apr 30, 2022, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• you know what trent needs to work on in the off-season. learn how to move someone without putting the ball on the floor and learn how to move someone without the ball.

Comment

• Gary should study Klay's game.
                        He will never be as lethal, but just on how Klay moves without the ball and what he does as soon as he gets the ball, ie no unnecessary dribbling and movements, etc.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
                          Gary should study Klay's game.
                          He will never be as lethal, but just on how Klay moves without the ball and what he does as soon as he gets the ball, ie no unnecessary dribbling and movements, etc.
                          exactly your trying to beat the defence not the man in front of u

Comment

ever watch him post up?

i turned on some youtube and watch corliss williamson again…just highlights but to me corliss looks faster than OG.

another thing i noticed from watching a few guys from my era lol and remembering haha is that they did a lot less dribbling. when they got the ball they paused triple threat then made a move. this era just dribbles even when going nowhere or just goes because the action says they must go in this direction.

1. it takes away your opinions
                            2. you don’t give your teammates time to react and may start moving even before the other guy has set up
                            basically you are outlining why og as an iso is silly and people need to stop thinking it will develop. we can spend time trying to develop it .. and I am not saying to stop it entirely but I don't think we have the time to wait and hope for it to MAYBE get to a reliable spot. I think he can still tighten up his handle and we can play around with it early on in a season but overall we need to do a better job of setting him up to be successful

Comment

you know what trent needs to work on in the off-season. learn how to move someone without putting the ball on the floor and learn how to move someone without the ball.
                              Actually I'd like to see Trent work on getting to the hoop more this summer. He can't just be a threat to shoot and it will help him be a more efficient scorer if he can get a few easy buckets at the rim.

Comment

• Bedsides the high flying dunking stuff, I think Trent Jr. could emulate Spreewell’s game. He was an awesome slasher, and had a decent 3pt. %. We do need a guy with Gary’s skill set, his ability to work his way to the midrange is impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X