Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

I’m very wary about these types of point guards like Rubio or Tyus Jones that are being named mainly bc they thrive off running a traditional offence centred around plenty of pick and rolls.

We hardly do that and focus much more on hunting mismatches and exploiting them, which those players can’t really do at all.
    Can't really speak to Tyus Jones as I've never watch him play, but Rubio absolutely would thrive in a fast paced offense like what the Raps run. He's been in the league for so long people forget he was a savant entering the league as a really creative passer. He's not your typical half court player. He actually struggles more in the half court I think because he needs to be more of a shooter which is something he's below average for pretty much his entire career.

He can run a bench mob if you have scorers around him and he's been a good defender later into his career imo. Now how he returns after injury might change my mind, but if the Raps are looking for a vet who take some of Fred's minutes without a huge drop off on defense and play making and could potentially be cheap coming off his injury then Rubio might be a good option.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Hmm. Not sure where you are getting that. Good is about right. I believe the term you used and I disagreed with is "great."
      gotcha

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

you don't think Donovan Mitchell is good?
        Good player, obviously an upgrade over Trent(not saying much) but i'd rather have Cam Johnson.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Good player, obviously an upgrade over Trent(not saying much) but i'd rather have Cam Johnson.
          Cam Johnson would be great but I guess the question is how do we get him?

He could be a FA this off season but he has a team option and the Suns will more than likely bring him back next year so it would require a trade.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Cam Johnson would be great but I guess the question is how do we get him?

He could be a FA this off season but he has a team option and the Suns will more than likely bring him back next year so it would require a trade.
            Trade obvously. A package around Trent.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Yes of course, the guy who sucks and is a clear downgrade.

Hopefully either you or Phoenix is dumb on this one.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Yes of course, the guy who sucks and is a clear downgrade.

Hopefully either you or Phoenix is dumb on this one.
                They just gave Bridges an extension. Book will get a monster contract once he becomes a FA. Ayton I would think is going to be their priority this year. Can they afford Cam Johnson? he's going to get paid next year.

Hey the narrative around Trent this year is that he's good and much improved so you never know.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Trent will be a free agent at the same time. They could probably convince Cam to take less than Gary as well. I don't see Phoenix making that trade.

Comment

why specifically ?

Comment

They just gave Bridges an extension. Book will get a monster contract once he becomes a FA. Ayton I would think is going to be their priority this year. Can they afford Cam Johnson? he's going to get paid next year.

Hey the narrative around Trent this year is that he's good and much improved so you never know.
                      Yeah, Suns are in a similar situation with Mikal Bridges & Cam Johnson, like the Hawks were in with Reddish & Hunter, and others. You can't pay everybody. And Sarver has a reputation of being cheap over the years.
                      Last edited by golden; Tue May 3, 2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

you have a press conference for that? but also Mitchell is a great player
                        I do not have a link sorry

Comment

why specifically ?
                          Because he's(Cam) the better player. Not everything is about points.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Because he's(Cam) the better player. Not everything is about points.
                            I asked why because I haven't watched enough of Cam. He is a bigger player (picked him up fantasy), but haven't watched enough.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Can't really speak to Tyus Jones as I've never watch him play, but Rubio absolutely would thrive in a fast paced offense like what the Raps run. He's been in the league for so long people forget he was a savant entering the league as a really creative passer. He's not your typical half court player. He actually struggles more in the half court I think because he needs to be more of a shooter which is something he's below average for pretty much his entire career.

He can run a bench mob if you have scorers around him and he's been a good defender later into his career imo. Now how he returns after injury might change my mind, but if the Raps are looking for a vet who take some of Fred's minutes without a huge drop off on defense and play making and could potentially be cheap coming off his injury then Rubio might be a good option.
                              I don’t disagree with anything you said

The issue is that the raptors don’t have those scorers around him on the bench, we have defensive athletic guys. His passing in transition would be great and his defence was very good pre injury, but he won’t help our half court offence a lick unless we overhaul the style. That’s why I said I’d be very wary of his types.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

I don’t disagree with anything you said

The issue is that the raptors don’t have those scorers around him on the bench, we have defensive athletic guys. His passing in transition would be great and his defence was very good pre injury, but he won’t help our half court offence a lick unless we overhaul the style. That’s why I said I’d be very wary of his types.
                                Well not to harp on it, I'm not saying it's got to be Rubio or nobody, but it's not like Raps rest their entire starting unit and bring 5 bench guys in right. There will always be ways to have some scorers around him.

Also, Rubio would be a short term addition while we bring Banton/Flynn/future back up along.

Comment

Working...
                                X