Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Sure but doesn't help if Fred shats the bed as a starter....
    Definitely not, but you can't just keep switching starters based on who plays well or not. If its Gary or Fred, I'm more comfortable with Fred starting. If its one of those games like last night, maybe you play Fred less minutes and Gary more minutes.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Definitely not, but you can't just keep switching starters based on who plays well or not. If its Gary or Fred, I'm more comfortable with Fred starting. If its one of those games like last night, maybe you play Fred less minutes and Gary more minutes.
      I agree and all (most) players have the odd horrible game. But it seems Freddy is having more than his fair share and you simply can't have zero impact games if you are supposed to be the 2nd star on this team....should be Scotty, OG is stepping up, GTJr was better.

Comment

I agree and all (most) players have the odd horrible game. But it seems Freddy is having more than his fair share and you simply can't have zero impact games if you are supposed to be the 2nd star on this team....should be Scotty, OG is stepping up, GTJr was better.
        Fred is shooting 37% from the field after last game which isn't good. He is reaching that inconsistent level this season where it feels like he either drops 25 or 10.

If Scottie was playing well, I'd be more comfortable without Fred, but as of now, you still need his defense and ball handling.

Comment

GTJ was better in this one, in his more ideal 6th man role.

But let's not sit here and pretend FVV is having a bad season. We're still better with him on the court than off despite him having to spend a decent chunk of time without Pascal or other rotation guys to buoy those results, he has the highest EPM on the team (barely ahead of Pascal), his TS% has dipped a little from last year (more comparable to the year before) but he also has a better assist to turnover ratio and has maintained his assist rate even while dropping his usage rate to a smaller role, and has an overall individual ORTG (individual scoring efficiency) identical to last year.

Would I like to see FVV's efficiency come back up? Yeah, and frankly I expect it to come up, he gets better looks generally when playing in a healthy roster. He's not going 0/7 every night from three, those are the shots you want from him.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
            Gary's answer to being benched was very professional and he took advantage of it and dropped 35.

Hope he embraces that role.
            Not sure if there was any question about Gary being good in that role.

The question I've had is if there is a better option than Gary in the starting line up? Love Thad, but he sure wasn't it and at this stage of his career he is best suited to coming off the bench. Precious, the player who would have replaced Gary in the starting line up in the off season debate about starters hasn't been good to date.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Not sure if there was any question about Gary being good in that role.

The question I've had is if there is a better option than Gary in the starting line up? Love Thad, but he sure wasn't it and at this stage of his career he is best suited to coming off the bench. Precious, the player who would have replaced Gary in the starting line up in the off season debate about starters hasn't been good to date.
              People keep forgetting how important balancing USG is to lineup chemistry... aka pecking order. Ideally you have 2 low USG connectors, who are ideally floor spacers to put around the 3 med-high USG guys (Fred, OG, Pascal). The Thad-Juancho starting combination was a good example of that.

In the chip year, we had Gasol and Danny around Lowry, Pascal & Kawhi. Even then, Lowry had to reduce his USG to the lowest it had been in years.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

People keep forgetting how important balancing USG is to lineup chemistry... aka pecking order. Ideally you have 2 low USG connectors, who are ideally floor spacers to put around the 3 med-high USG guys (Fred, OG, Pascal). The Thad-Juancho starting combination was a good example of that.

In the chip year, we had Gasol and Danny around Lowry, Pascal & Kawhi. Even then, Lowry had to reduce his USG to the lowest it had been in years.
                Well that isn't written in stone and is a fairly standard approach to running an offense. Not out of the box enough for the Raps LOL.

Jokes aside some people may have forgotten the years of frustration over free agents not wanting to sign with the Raps. The Raps have tried to get over that obstacle by creating an equal opportunity offense where all five players pose a threat. Heck that could be a part of the reason why Pascal now looks like a true 1a, so not sure you want to mess with that by increasing his USG. Whether it ultimately works or not is a different topic all together, but that's what the team wants to do right now. There's obviously a pecking order, but not what you're hoping for.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I agree with this.
                  And USG should be more match up based.
                  Fred can not just shoot away even when he's having an off night.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

I agree with this.
                    And USG should be more match up based.
                    Fred can not just shoot away even when he's having an off night.

Comment

• They know the type of player Trent is lol.

https://twitter.com/AaronBenRose/sta...f0DapgWFw&s=19
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                        They know the type of player Trent is lol.

I think the only reason he isn't the favorite is because we're not sure if he'll stay 6th man.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                          They know the type of player Trent is lol.

Wow, and after just two games coming off the bench. Obviously a lot of consideration went into this

Comment

• If he continues off the bench, chances are he will be the run away sixth man similar to Herro last season.

Even if he is inconsistent at times, too much scoring talent there.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I think the only reason he isn't the favorite is because we're not sure if he'll stay 6th man.
                              If Gary does stay 6th man, then I have to say that Nurse finessed it beautifully. He used injuries as an excuse to sneak Trent onto the bench with Scottie (to lessen the ego blow)... basically the first chance he got to do it.

Comment

• Garys a baller he doesnt care if he starts or not hes gonna ball

Comment

Working...
                                X