Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

If Gary does stay 6th man, then I have to say that Nurse finessed it beautifully. He used injuries as an excuse to sneak Trent onto the bench with Scottie (to lessen the ego blow)... basically the first chance he got to do it.
    Scottie, meanwhile, was clearly not one bit happy about it in the presser after that game...

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Scottie, meanwhile, was clearly not one bit happy about it in the presser after that game...
      Still really early... but I guess if we're gonna praise Nurse for the lineup balancing, then we probably have need to criticize him for player development and Scottie's regression this year.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Still really early... but I guess if we're gonna praise Nurse for the lineup balancing, then we probably have need to criticize him for player development and Scottie's regression this year.
        Scotties job to work on his game all summer. Nurse is giving him all the minutes and opportunities he can handle, which is how a coach can help development. Parts of his game have improved like the 3pt shooting and play making, but growing pains are common for young players in year 2, the old sophomore slump. If you wanna throw shade I'd toss it at the medical staff, because the most obvious issue with Scottie is he looks a bit hobbled.

Comment

• Kind of an odd year for this sophomore class, as most everyone seems to be doing the same as their rookie year or slumping.

Cade is sort of where he was last season, but less efficient from the perimeter and injured again. Mobley has been good but stats are showing his is having a similar season to last. Green has upped his shot attempts but still fairly inefficient, but his rebs and assists are up a bit which is nice. Barnes is clearly struggling with his FG% way down from last year. Suggs still getting injured a lot and no real improvements jumping out.

Lots of season left for this draft class to step up.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Scotties job to work on his game all summer. Nurse is giving him all the minutes and opportunities he can handle, which is how a coach can help development. Parts of his game have improved like the 3pt shooting and play making, but growing pains are common for young players in year 2, the old sophomore slump. If you wanna throw shade I'd toss it at the medical staff, because the most obvious issue with Scottie is he looks a bit hobbled.
            My thought is did he go too hard all summer?
            This class is the weird COVID class, that didn't really get a true college experience. They were limited by the NCAA by protocol for gym time, and then they probably all went HAM after the season to get ready for the draft.

All played pretty well, all probably went HAM again all this summer because "if ain't broke?". Maybe they need to chill a bit and recover.

Going from an augmented college season to a full NBA season must have been a strain.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post

My thought is did he go too hard all summer?
              This class is the weird COVID class, that didn't really get a true college experience. They were limited by the NCAA by protocol for gym time, and then they probably all went HAM after the season to get ready for the draft.

All played pretty well, all probably went HAM again all this summer because "if ain't broke?". Maybe they need to chill a bit and recover.

Going from an augmented college season to a full NBA season must have been a strain.
              What David Thorpe said was interesting about Scottie potentially not focusing on improving his game, but just playing pick up games in the off season. It could be where Rico Hines comes in. Of course the Raptors hired him, which is great and we've seen the Raptors' players running drills and games all summer with each other. Thats where maybe it hurt Scottie. A 2nd year player who was in his first off season, who joined his teammates in playing games rather than coming up with a plan to continue further developing his game.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

What David Thorpe said was interesting about Scottie potentially not focusing on improving his game, but just playing pick up games in the off season. It could be where Rico Hines comes in. Of course the Raptors hired him, which is great and we've seen the Raptors' players running drills and games all summer with each other. Thats where maybe it hurt Scottie. A 2nd year player who was in his first off season, who joined his teammates in playing games rather than coming up with a plan to continue further developing his game.
                Scottie also played unreasonably hard in those games. Remember Harden praising him for how tough of defense he was playing when no one really plays defense in those games? Full court pressing him. Guys don't play defense in those games because it's hard on your body.

Comment

Scottie also played unreasonably hard in those games. Remember Harden praising him for how tough of defense he was playing when no one really plays defense in those games? Full court pressing him. Guys don't play defense in those games because it's hard on your body.
                  That's been the big difference in my eyes with Scottie this season. He hasn't played unreasonably hard they way Raps players normally do and how he did last season. It's like his energy isn't there.

Could literally be due to growing pains because he looks bulkier than he did as a rookie. His movements don't look quite as fluid as it did when I was watching highlights of him the year leading up to his draft. Hopefully it's a case of growing into his body and not something more serious like when JV got bulky and it impacted his athleticism.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

That's been the big difference in my eyes with Scottie this season. He hasn't played unreasonably hard they way Raps players normally do and how he did last season. It's like his energy isn't there.

Could literally be due to growing pains because he looks bulkier than he did as a rookie. His movements don't look quite as fluid as it did when I was watching highlights of him the year leading up to his draft. Hopefully it's a case of growing into his body and not something more serious like when JV got bulky and it impacted his athleticism.
                    Could be for many reasons. Lets not forget he was a player who played his minutes off the bench during college. He played well and hard throughout his first NBA season and also played pickup games throughout the off season. All of the rigors of a NBA season and strain probably caught up to him.

Comment

• If Scottie's goal is to be a PG, does he really need to be heavy and bulky?

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
                        If Scottie's goal is to be a PG, does he really need to be heavy and bulky?
                        Yes and bigger..take those midgets in the paint and dominate..enough of these stupid 3pt shots, this guy should be in the paint carving these little leprechauns like they are looking for loose change.
                        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
                          If Scottie's goal is to be a PG, does he really need to be heavy and bulky?
                          He's not guarding 6 ft. players on the other end LOL.

Comment

• And I don't think it's bulk you want so much as strength.

Comment

Rico Hines and Earl Watson are literally Raptors assistant coaches, who report to Nurse. Did you see how many Raptors players participated? They're basically Toronto Raptors practice scrimmages. So if our own pickup games are hurting Scottie's body and inhibiting him from improving his game in the off-season, then that's a big L on the coaching staff AND the medical staff, like you said. Both of them.

That said, pretty much everybody views those UCLA runs as a positive for player development in terms of developing a feel for the game. It's become a right of passage for young Raptors players.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Yeah, JV definitely comes to mind as a guy who lost his quickness after bulking up. Not sure who was training him back then, but that was a mistake. Hard to say if it's the ankles or bulk that's making Scottie look a step slower this year. He didn't need to bulk up, because he had an NBA body last year and was easily bullying vets. He just needed to do some light muscle toning and yoga (with Hakeem).

Comment

Working...
                                X