Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

LOL, Jak is a good player but he's hardly the reason for making big personnel decisions. Not saying Fred will be in a Raps uniform next year, but if they let Fred walk or sign and trade him, it will have nothing to do with the addition of Jak.

Also, you don't think Jalen Brunson isn't going to want that $30M per on his next contract? Brunson is Fred from a contract ago so you're not signing him or anyone with his potential to the same contract as of today. It's tough to take a swing on an unproven player. For every Brunson, there's a Dennis Shroder, Reggie Jackson and Dante Exum. A guy that is young and shows enough promise that some team takes a chance on them and they don't deliver. Also need to consider that they should probably be adding to our compliment of PG's, not moving the one solid one we have for someone who may or may not be any good.
    If they let Fred walk... it will have everything to do with future salary cap implications, including Jak's new contract.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

If they let Fred walk... it will have everything to do with future salary cap implications, including Jak's new contract.
      Lets pick up this conversation after we see what happens with Fred and Jak this summer. My guess is that Fred will resign to something along the lines of what is rumored to have been offered say in the $26M - 28M per range.

Comment

• I feel like if any of the 3 walk, it'll be Gary.

Fred could walk if the Magic throw tons of money at him, but I think Raptors will try to re-sign him. Raptors also definitely traded for Poeltl with the intention of re-signing him, so he'll likely be back.

Comment

• Fred will take a Toronto offer. Hed object to any sign and trade. He runs the show here and he loves bein teachers pet and tellin players what nick doesnt wanna tell them. He wants another contract here and a coaching job here after that

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
            I feel like if any of the 3 walk, it'll be Gary.

Fred could walk if the Magic throw tons of money at him, but I think Raptors will try to re-sign him. Raptors also definitely traded for Poeltl with the intention of re-signing him, so he'll likely be back.
            Plan A has to be to resign everyone. Not very exciting after the season we've had/having, but the alternative would be to lose an asset for nothing at all. Guessing Masai is fairly confident he could bring everyone back or else he likely would/should have made a trade by the deadline.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• We may not have to even have to make a choice on Gary this off season. Dude looked like he was done with the team tonight and doesn't have a path here to a solid role unless big changes come elsewhere on the roster.
                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                  We may not have to even have to make a choice on Gary this off season. Dude looked like he was done with the team tonight and doesn't have a path here to a solid role unless big changes come elsewhere on the roster.
                  It may be the opposite too. What's his market going to look like after the way this season ended for him? We might end up being able to keep everyone because some stocks dropped, Gary's primary among them.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Based on Gary's end of season interview I doubt he comes back. Just get that feeling like he wants more.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

It may be the opposite too. What's his market going to look like after the way this season ended for him? We might end up being able to keep everyone because some stocks dropped, Gary's primary among them.
                      Yea but if you put yourself in Gary's shoes he probably doesn't see a way to raise his stock with the current roster construction. He could find himself a more reliable role elsewhere and likely a starter spot on some teams. This isn't going to be his final NBA contract and will seek wherever gives him the most upward mobility.
                      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Yea but if you put yourself in Gary's shoes he probably doesn't see a way to raise his stock with the current roster construction. He could find himself a more reliable role elsewhere and likely a starter spot on some teams. This isn't going to be his final NBA contract and will seek wherever gives him the most upward mobility.
                        Gary is firmly in the go to highest bidder portion of his career. I don't think we'll be the highest bidder for his services.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I think Gary still gets the bag somewhere, they re-sign Jac and Fred and suck hard next year....

Comment

• G____Deane wrote: View Post

I think Gary still gets the bag somewhere, they re-sign Jac and Fred and suck hard next year....
                            This is why I feel like they have to make a move whether its Pascal or OG. Those two have the highest trade values on the team.

I do think Gary will walk. Can't see him getting demoted from starter to bench on a .500 team and being okay with it at his age. If he leaves, you lose one of the few shooters on the team.

Comment

• I also don't want players of his caliber being upset about playing the 6th man role. Same goes for Fred. They are borderline starters on a winning team. They can start and collect their big fat cheques on a perennial losing team if that's what matters to them

Comment

• This is the thing. Yes, if there's a team out there that wants to throw 25M+ at Gary and promise him a starting role, yeah, he's probably going there.

I'm unconvinced such a team exists. Before this season, sure, but both his and Fred's markets are less now than I'd have assumed coming into this year.

Here at least Gary has a coach who is still leaning into using him as a closer, supersub type. Might not even get that elsewhere.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X