Everything Cap Space 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Cap Space 2021

I don't even know how much space we have after this trade deadline, there's another thread for that, but I know it's quite a lot.

We also know there aren't true superstar free agents in this class. I don't really know who is out there yet, but I'd assume if we go that route we'd spread the money around to rebuild the roster. Who do we like?

And one thing we don't talk about much is cap space as an asset - to facilitate trades for other teams and pick up assets, or to outright trade for players without sending players back. Zero returning salary and an asset or two is a decent package for a disgruntled star. Eyeing anyone up?

So what do we think - max out Richaun Holmes?

Rumors are Raptors are interested in Jarrett Allen and/or Lonzo Ball in the off season.

Comment

Assuming McCaw, Johnson and Baynes are waived, I believe they have about $20M in free agency if Lowry walks. Add another $7M if Boucher is waived.

If Lowry sticks around we have our full mid level and our biannual ($9.5M and $4M respectively).

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post
        Rumors are Raptors are interested in Jarrett Allen and/or Lonzo Ball in the off season.
        Cavs will keep Allen.. they paid a FRP for him and have his RFA rights. Ball may have no interest in Toronto, so don't think that happens (plus our priority should be at C).

Comment

Richaun Holmes is UFA and a decent target to be our C. His contract should be in line with our cap space.

Comment

Hope Clippers get blown out in the first round and Kawhi comes back for $40 on a 3 year deal

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Assuming McCaw, Johnson and Baynes are waived, I believe they have about $20M in free agency if Lowry walks. Add another $7M if Boucher is waived.

If Lowry sticks around we have our full mid level and our biannual ($9.5M and $4M respectively).

Doesn’t that assume Trent Jr leaves? Isn’t he a RFA or am I wrong. If you let trent walk to sign holmes or someone else what was the point of trading Powell? Trent is part of next years plans right?

edit—low cap hold as a 2nd round pick?

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Doesn’t that assume Trent Jr leaves? Isn’t he a RFA or am I wrong. If you let trent walk to sign holmes or someone else what was the point of trading Powell? Trent is part of next years plans right?

I'd assume Raptors trade for Trent Jr. because he is a part of the Raptors' long term plans. He is only 22 with a ton of upside.

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Yup, 3 year signing. Today makes a lot more sense maintaining cap space while grabbing a legit player than we can then go well above the cap to sign. Avoids the free agency trap where you get a Turkoglu and that's it because you only had one card to play. I believe we can sign/use the 20 mill, sign Trent for another 20 mill, and maybe still get the RMLE?

And that's how you rebuild on the fly mothereffers.
                  Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Thu Mar 25, 2021, 09:44 PM.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Yeah he was signed long enough to make him an RFA with a 2.2 mill cap hold. NOICE.
                    Gotcha. Trade makes a lot more sense now. The cap hold on 2nd round picks is why Miami projected to have room. But if raps can keep Trent and sign a center like Holmes then that’s pretty good

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Cavs will keep Allen.. they paid a FRP for him and have his RFA rights. Ball may have no interest in Toronto, so don't think that happens (plus our priority should be at C).
                      Allen is one of the best fits out there for playing center alongside Siakim. If there actually was appetite for a teardown at the deadline (and I never thought there was), an obvious place to start would have been looking at trading Siakim for Drummond plus multiple firsts.

Comment

Can we stop talk about expiring contracts like it is a good thing . All I see in the NBA is expiring contracts are just bought out contracts . Last year we got two huge expiring contracts off the books and really didn't mean anything .

Comment

That sucks that we lose Kyle and only have 20M left to work with. Unless we hit draft gold we are a long way from contending with this core.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                            That sucks that we lose Kyle and only have 20M left to work with. Unless we hit draft gold we are a long way from contending with this core.
                            I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Lowry walks for nothing.

As for the amount of cap space we have if Lowry walks, this is not the year to be picking up marquee free agents anymore anyway. I think the biggest free-agent name remaining after Lowry/Powell is Derozan, and last I heard, there were a lot of people here who were pretty down on him...

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Yup, 3 year signing. Today makes a lot more sense maintaining cap space while grabbing a legit player than we can then go well above the cap to sign. Avoids the free agency trap where you get a Turkoglu and that's it because you only had one card to play. I believe we can sign/use the 20 mill, sign Trent for another 20 mill, and maybe still get the RMLE?

And that's how you rebuild on the fly mothereffers.
                              Makes sense—but this also assumes Kyle walks for nothing right? I mean if we do a sign and trade and get back prospect and an expiring next year we have no cap space for a center. Kyle’s cap hold is going to be large so we would have to renounce early or make a trade right away so that we have room to go sign a center like Holmes etc.

I’m optimistic but reserving judgement on yesterday until I see what happens in the off-season.

Comment

Working...
                              X