X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
    Noted. Threads merged.
    What I really wanted to do was rename the title of this thread to:
    The Raptors have a 24% chance of being the #1 team in the East (or some such)

I looked all over and couldn't figure out how to do this, so I tried a new thread to get discussion on our odds of winning the East, which I thought was the interesting subject.

Comment

The way I see it, the Cavs have a lot to prove in terms of chemistry and defense. Irving and Love aren't exactly lockdown defenders. It wouldn't surprise me to see Cleveland floating around the .500 mark for the first 20-30 games.

And Rose is one mis-step away from blowing out his knee for the 3rd time. The Bulls minus Rose are still a tough team, but not a team that's head-and-shoulders better than the Raptors.

Comment

Raps are going to need 'help' from injury bug to get #1.

I think Atlantic crown is as much of a given as possible.

Therefore so is a top4 seed.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          The way I see it, the Cavs have a lot to prove in terms of chemistry and defense. Irving and Love aren't exactly lockdown defenders. It wouldn't surprise me to see Cleveland floating around the .500 mark for the first 20-30 games.
          DWade and Bosh weren't exactly world stoppers either; Heat still had one of the best Defenses in the league.

Though, to be fair, even they didn't start that great their first year ... still made the finals. I think Cleveland is going to be as good as they're supposed to be. Which is damn good.

Lebron is growing on me ... I think I actually like him ... is that crazy to say? Are people allowed to say that these days? LOL

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            Raps are going to need 'help' from injury bug to get #1.

I think Atlantic crown is as much of a given as possible.

Therefore so is a top4 seed.
            Is the Atlantic Division the worst division in all of sports? lol
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
              What I really wanted to do was rename the title of this thread to:
              The Raptors have a 24% chance of being the #1 team in the East (or some such)

I looked all over and couldn't figure out how to do this, so I tried a new thread to get discussion on our odds of winning the East, which I thought was the interesting subject.
              Unless I'm mistaken only mods can change the title of a thread. So yea no worries next time give one of us mods a shout we'll help you out.

As for the chances of the Raps winning the East...everything would have to go perfect for them (minimal injuries, repeat performances from KLow and DD, next level seasons from Tross and Val) while the Cavs and Bulls would have to stumble. So is it possible? Yea I guess. I give 'em a scientifically accurate 18.567% chance of winning the East.

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken only mods can change the title of a thread. So yea no worries next time give one of us mods a shout we'll help you out.

As for the chances of the Raps winning the East...everything would have to go perfect for them (minimal injuries, repeat performances from KLow and DD, next level seasons from Tross and Val) while the Cavs and Bulls would have to stumble. So is it possible? Yea I guess. I give 'em a scientifically accurate 18.567% chance of winning the East.
                Winning the #1 seed is less important than who you matchup against in the first round and potentially the second round.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  Winning the #1 seed is less important than who you matchup against in the first round and potentially the second round.
                  Ya think? Idk about that man. Finishing first says a lot about the state of the team. If you're good enough to finish first then you probably won't be too concerned with who your facing in the first round.

Comment

Yeah sorry no. Win the east=good.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Talent typically wins.. and wins over continuity. I don't think Cleveland stumbles but I've heard Blatt wants to only play Lebron in 70-72 games this season.. If Cleveland takes it easy, then Toronto has a good a chance as any to get the top seed. Definitely will be an interesting year.

Comment

Ya think? Idk about that man. Finishing first says a lot about the state of the team. If you're good enough to finish first then you probably won't be too concerned with who your facing in the first round.
                        I disagree. We do need to be concerned about first round matchup. Recall how Miami gave up on number one seed last year and coasted first two rounds in part due to favourable matchups.

Comment

I disagree. We do need to be concerned about first round matchup. Recall how Miami gave up on number one seed last year and coasted first two rounds in part due to favourable matchups.
                          That's because we're not a top team yet. And miami didn't give up anything. They knew their only real eastern challengers last year were the pacers.

Comment

I just registered to the forums and I gotta say we are setting ourselves up to be really suprised yet again this year. Remember if rudy gay got traded before last year started then we would've won 55 games. This year we don't have rudy gay at all, our bench got better, some of our starters seem to have gotten better (JV, DD, Ross a little), and I honestly think the east only slightly got better (indiana and miami are gonna drop, hornets and hawks are gonna rise, difference is miami isn't gonna drop that much and chi, was, also got better, but as you can tell so did we). I may be a homer and a huge optimist but don't be suprised if we hit 55 wins this season barring injury *knocks on wood*.

Comment

I think the team has the potential to win 52+ games. On paper it looks like we improved with added depth, if nothing else. The east overall looks like it has improved some as well. But it will come down to how the team runs it's offence IMO. If we rely on Lowry/Derozan and Vasquez/LouWill to do everything I think the team performs like it did last season, 47-49 wins perhaps. If we employ a more flowing offense with more movement, utilizing JV in the post and Amir in the PnR more consistently, and maybe even more pushing the ball up the floor more, I think the team takes a step forward. I think the defence will be more engaged and consistent in that case. It's alot to ask of JV and Amir to anchor a defence and be non-existent contributers on offence over extended stretches of the game. Both can be effective offensive players if utilized properly, and in doing so will make it difficult for defences to hone in on our guards, giving them more room to operate. I really wanna see this team show some signs of evolving into the type of offensive team that really works to get a decent shot every time down the floor.

I don't think that happens if we rely on our guards too much and don't move the ball well on offence. The defence would suffer and then it comes down to having great individual performances to win tough games. There's enough talent to easily win 40+, and our guard lineup can elevate the team to the high 40's, but we need more from the frontline. Maybe Lowry and/or Derozan takes it to another level and can win an extra 2-4 games, but I'm not banking on it. I think the next step comes from a more consistent contribution from our forwards. And I hate to say we need more of this stat and that stat from Ross and JV. I mean, we do of course, but the next step is as much about the team evolving offensively as it is about Ross or JV or any other player evolving individually. There are many options for a varied and balanced attack with this team as is. If Ross and JV have improved individually than even moreso. Get the ball humming and and the defence will be there. If the offence gets stagnant, the defence tends to as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X