Everything 2021 Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything 2021 Tank

To tank, or not to tank, that is...not even really the question anymore. But it still deserves it's own thread!

For or against, the ethics of tanking (when you're not playing in your city), tank tactic A vs tank tactic B - bring it on!

I expect the next moves might be the resting of Pascal before he hurts himself. Fred will definitely need some nights off for the same reason. Both completely understandable as they push their post-covid bodies to the brink.

And then Masai and Bobby will bring in the cavalry, fortifying the roster finally...with youth. What do we have, two roster spots still wide open? I think they keep Ellenson in the organization a little longer, the guy can clearly shoot, and he won't harm the tank with his defense. And maybe an athletic G-league have another live body to throw out there and test out the fit for a two-way next year.

That's how I see it. We'll stay competitive with our top guys, but it's very hard to win when the veteran-air has been let out of your tires like this, and when the writing is so clearly on the wall.

I think we should make a poll. Will they tank or make playoffs. And people can make their predictions
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
      I think we should make a poll. Will they tank or make playoffs. And people can make their predictions
      I can't figure out how to add one.

Comment

Not the greatest of drafts for a game changing pick in my opinion, but might as well go for it. 11 games back of .500. Just need to avoid getting a center. Dieng going to the Spurs was kismet.

Comment

Fair question: Is there at least an NBA ready player based on pre-draft scouting report that can make an impact right away to plug in to the core of this team?

Or are they all 3 to 5 years projects? If they are then at least package that with one of Pascal or Van Vleet to get a game changer.

Just so many holes to fill now without Norm and most likely Kyle.
          Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Tue Mar 30, 2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            What'[s interesting is to see the pre-season predictions. Virtually no one had the Raptors landing outside the top 4 and certainly no one guessed out of the post season. Only a couple thought as low as 6th.

https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...-2020-21/page2

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

What'[s interesting is to see the pre-season predictions. Virtually no one had the Raptors landing outside the top 4 and certainly no one guessed out of the post season. Only a couple thought as low as 6th.

Oh yeah definitely didn't work out as well as we anticipated.

Comment

The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                Fair question: Is there at least an NBA ready player based on pre-draft scouting report that can make an impact right away to plug in to the core of this team?

Or are they all 3 to 5 years projects? If they are then at least package that with one of Pascal or Van Vleet to get a game changer.

Probably a question for the draft thread but I think we could probably start Mobley from day 1. I only mention him because he's at our position of need so would slot right in to our starting 5, even Sengun would be an upgrade there for us. Whereas all the wings available would probably merit seasoning on the bench just because we've got guys at their positions, unless we immediately start trading away the core to make room for them. And the top guards, Suggs and Cunningham, might merit bumping Trent to the bench, if not letting him walk outright.

Wagner looks pretty NBA-ready if we stay around the 10th spot. Would give us our small-forward off the bench, but many of these wings (Johnson, Moody, Williams, Bouknight, etc) could provide a similar bench spark as rookies. Kuminga and Green have tons of potential and are cutting their teeth against men this season. Barnes knows how to play. And so on.

Add a playable rookie or two, a legit big with cap space, and a veteran with the RMLE and many of those holes just aren't there anymore.
                Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Tue Mar 30, 2021, 02:13 PM.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post

We all assumed we were getting Phoenix Baynes. We got Rafael Aruajo.

We also assumed that Terrence Davis, and to a lesser extent Matt Thomas, Alex Len and Malachi Flynn, were going to contribute. That went 0 for 4. If those things had happened I'm guessing we'd be in 4th right now, as it's currently occupied by a .500ish Charlotte squad
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Probably a question for the draft thread but I think we could probably start Mobley from day 1. I only mention him because he's at our position of need so would slot right in to our starting 5, even Sengun would be an upgrade there for us. Whereas all the wings available would probably merit seasoning on the bench just because we've got guys at their positions, unless we immediately start trading away the core to make room for them. And the top guards, Suggs and Cunningham, might merit bumping Trent to the bench, if not letting him walk outright.

Wagner looks pretty NBA-ready if we stay around the 10th spot. Would give us our small-forward off the bench, but many of these wings (Johnson, Moody, Williams, Bouknight, etc) could provide a similar bench spark as rookies. Kuminga and Green have tons of potential and are cutting their teeth against men this season. Barnes knows how to play. And so on.

Add a playable rookie or two, a legit big with cap space, and a veteran with the RMLE and many of those holes just aren't there anymore.
                    My question was based on a concern whether this coach would even trust any one of them right off the bat. It took a vocal voice from the father of Flynn for the rook to even get some playing time consideration now.

If this potential draft NBA ready, then it would be big fail for Nurse to not give that player the necessary minutes to right away make an impact.

How good this potential rook would be should exceed Terrence Davis who is only 23.

Thats the reality.

Comment

One second....is this the tanking for Wiggins thing or something else? Pour one out for McHappy

Comment

My question was based on a concern whether this coach would even trust any one of them right off the bat. It took a vocal voice from the father of Flynn for the rook to even get some playing time consideration now.

If this potential draft NBA ready, then it would be big fail for Nurse to not give that player the necessary minutes to right away make an impact.

How good this potential rook would be should exceed Terrence Davis who is only 23.

Thats the reality.
                        If Nurse doesn't play a lottery pick player he gets fired. No discussion

Comment

If this potential draft NBA ready, then it would be big fail for Nurse to not given that player the necessary minutes to right away make an impact.

Thats the reality.
                          The reality is that both Flynn and Davis pale in comparison to top prospects, and Nurse still found (or is finding) plenty of minutes for both of them. Coming off the bench, and playing a few games in the G, is a good place for a rookie to cut their NBA teeth, and that's what I'd expect because we should be back in the playoff hunt next season.

But it is a good reason to target fit - two-way players that can make a play and hit a shot - as they won't be gifted minutes like they will on most lotto teams.

Comment

Cade is the clear number one according to most mock drafts and I'd say he and Suggs are probably the two that could go straight from college to NBA and make an impact the soonest. Then there's Kuminga and Green that spent the year in G League, so are probably readier than most to make the transition. There's bound to be one or two more that will surprise.

Doubtful our pick plus one of Siakam or FVV gets you a game changer.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

The reality is that both Flynn and Davis pale in comparison to top prospects, and Nurse still found (or is finding) plenty of minutes for both of them. Coming off the bench, and playing a few games in the G, is a good place for a rookie to cut their NBA teeth, and that's what I'd expect because we should be back in the playoff hunt next season.

But it is a good reason to target fit - two-way players that can make a play and hit a shot - as they won't be gifted minutes like they will on most lotto teams.
                              People think Nurse should be out there gifting minutes to anyone under 25. I'm sorry but Malachi Flynn has been mostly trash in my opinion. Look at Payton Pritchard in Boston, that's a kid who immediately contributes, and earns a rotation spot.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X