No announcement yet.

Everything 2021 Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing 4th worst seems easily doable. We're only 1.5 games out of 4th worst record right now. The bottom 3 teams seem set, then there is 8 teams all bunched up pretty close, and we're in the middle of that bunch currently.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      Finishing 4th worst seems easily doable. We're only 1.5 games out of 4th worst record right now. The bottom 3 teams seem set, then there is 8 teams all bunched up pretty close, and we're in the middle of that bunch currently.
      Yep. My confidence was a little shaken by that Golden State win, but the pragmatic approach to Fred's hip flexor and Kyle's toe infection has restored my faith in the tank. Let's go fourth! Looking forward to seeing a lot of Flynn, from a pro tanking perspective for sure, but also legitimately intrigued to see him get some consistent minutes and hopefully develop a bit ahead of next year. The raps need to see what they've got heading in to next season.

Comment

• Beal also out tonight. They're in complete tank mode.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• SMH. Other tanking teams are sitting key players and losing by 20, 30 even 40 points now on a regular basis. Our guys have too much pride. And GTJR is motivated and getting the chance he never had in Portland in a contract year. Have to agree with T-Rex here. Not necessarily the Raptors screwing up the tank, but other losing teams just wanting to lose more or simply not knowing how to win yet.

And on the other side you have superstars demanding trades to join stacked teams. Sad state of affairs in the NBA.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            SMH. Other tanking teams are sitting key players and losing by 20, 30 even 40 points now on a regular basis. Our guys have too much pride. And GTJR is motivated and getting the chance he never had in Portland in a contract year. Have to agree with T-Rex here. Not necessarily the Raptors screwing up the tank, but other losing teams just wanting to lose more or simply not knowing how to win yet.

And on the other side you have superstars demanding trades to join stacked teams. Sad state of affairs in the NBA.
            Main thing I think is the final third of the season is pretty consistently turning into a glorified summer league. It's an increasingly large amount of NBA basketball getting written off each year.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• They shouldn’t take away lottery odds from the teams that manage to play-in. Then there’s a lot more incentive to finish in those 9th and 10th spots. And maybe extend the lottery to 7th and 8th too.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                They shouldn’t take away lottery odds from the teams that manage to play-in. Then there’s a lot more incentive to finish in those 9th and 10th spots. And maybe extend the lottery to 7th and 8th too.
                You are in the lottery if you don't make the playoffs.. so getting to the play in and losing still means you are in the lottery.

Here are some scenarios:
                • If the Raptors make the playoffs they are selecting 15th with no lottery chances at 1-4.
                • If the Raptors make the play in, but lose, I think they will have the 8th pick (where Chicago currently is) and a 26% chance of getting a top 4 pick.
                • If the Raptors make the play in, but win the first game, and lose the second game, they will have the 12th pick (where Indiana is) and a 7.2% chance of getting a top 4 pick.
                • If the Raptors fail to make the play in, they will end up around the 7th pick where they are now.. and that is a 32% chance of getting a top 4 pick.

Of course things can change. Wizards/Cavs can get ahead of the Raptors. Or conversely, OKC can lose more games and move ahead in the draft order over the lottery bound teams out East.

15th is the worst they will get in the draft IMO. The 8th place team out West will definitely have a better record than Toronto. And I don't think Toronto ever catches up to Indiana (who are currently 3.5 games up).

Comment

• Actually this is a weird scenario and I wonder what they would do.. If Indiana and Toronto are 9 and 10.. and let's say Indiana's record would get them the 12th pick.. and Toronto the 8th pick. If Toronto beats Indiana in their play-in game, but then lose to the team in 8th (say that's Boston or NY). Do the Raptors get the 12th pick or the 8th pick? Because that's a big drop off in draft odds for just winning a single game, but not making the playoffs anyway.

I suspect that's how it goes down though. A big game to lose IMO if you are team tank.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Actually this is a weird scenario and I wonder what they would do.. If Indiana and Toronto are 9 and 10.. and let's say Indiana's record would get them the 12th pick.. and Toronto the 8th pick. If Toronto beats Indiana in their play-in game, but then lose to the team in 8th (say that's Boston or NY). Do the Raptors get the 12th pick or the 8th pick? Because that's a big drop off in draft odds for just winning a single game, but not making the playoffs anyway.

I suspect that's how it goes down though. A big game to lose IMO if you are team tank.
                    Team that wins play-in loses their lottery pick automatically.
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Team that wins play-in loses their lottery pick automatically.
                      But you have to win two play-ins to get to the playoffs. What if you win the first, but lose the second?

Teams 7&8 play for 7th seed.
                      Teams 9&10 play for the first chance to get in.

The loser of 7&8 play the winner of 9&10.

So what happens to the lottery odds for the team in 10 that beats team 9, but loses to say team 8? Do they flip the odds with team 9 or keep the odds where they were for team 10? They still didn't make the playoffs in the end.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

But you have to win two play-ins to get to the playoffs. What if you win the first, but lose the second?

Teams 7&8 play for 7th seed.
                        Teams 9&10 play for the first chance to get in.

The loser of 7&8 play the winner of 9&10.

So what happens to the lottery odds for the team in 10 that beats team 9, but loses to say team 8? Do they flip the odds with team 9 or keep the odds where they were for team 10? They still didn't make the playoffs in the end.
                        Oh I think then they slot back in according to their RS record
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Oh I think then they slot back in according to their RS record
                          Okay so if that's the case.. then it's really okay. If the Raps take over Chicago.. they could still get the 8th pick (before the lottery) if they beat Indiana and lose to say Boston in the play-in game.

I feel good about the 8th pick. I think that could get into the top 4.

Comment

• Yeah, it's not documented very well anywhere but my understanding is that only non-playoff teams are in the lotto and they are slotted based on RS record. Winning the 9/10 play in just gets you the opportunity to play the 8/9 play in, doesn't change your record for the lottery (unless of course you win THAT play in and thereby remove yourself from it entirely).
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                              SMH. Other tanking teams are sitting key players and losing by 20, 30 even 40 points now on a regular basis. Our guys have too much pride. And GTJR is motivated and getting the chance he never had in Portland in a contract year. Have to agree with T-Rex here. Not necessarily the Raptors screwing up the tank, but other losing teams just wanting to lose more or simply not knowing how to win yet.

They are 2-13 in their last 15 games.....

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Main thing I think is the final third of the season is pretty consistently turning into a glorified summer league. It's an increasingly large amount of NBA basketball getting written off each year.
                                But the NBA is doing great! Everything is fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X