X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

doesn't change the fact that he shortened their careers

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/j...-takes-a-toll/

He can convince himself that load management wasnt around but reality is that if Thibs wasn't insane with minutes Rose wouldn't have had that injury
    Butler averaged 36-39 mins per game when he established himself in Chicago, Rose averaged around 37 mins, Deng averaged 39 mins a game when Thibs coached in Chicago. Its pretty well known Thibs plays his starters heavy minutes.

Even Julius Randle currently. His minutes went from 32 last season to 37 this season, only difference is Thibs is now the coach.

Comment

• "I think he has control of the locker room," Gibson said of Hoiberg. "He just gives guys a lot of freedom. When he first came here, people said our team needed a much easier kind of guy. We had Thibs, like a drill sergeant. Thibs told you you can play even when you're extremely hurt. We went out there and played hard. Was it a good thing for us sometimes? No, but that was just a different kind of coaching staff. Thibs was in the NBA for a long time, learned from his predecessors.
      https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...28-column.html

He's smart coach but he's insane when it comes to minutes.
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...28-column.html

He's smart coach but he's insane when it comes to minutes.
        From what I recall, it wasn't just the high minutes that players didn't like, but how hard Thibs wanted guy going in practice as well. An old school approach to coaching which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing if player health is being monitored properly.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Butler averaged 36-39 mins per game when he established himself in Chicago, Rose averaged around 37 mins, Deng averaged 39 mins a game when Thibs coached in Chicago. Its pretty well known Thibs plays his starters heavy minutes.

Even Julius Randle currently. His minutes went from 32 last season to 37 this season, only difference is Thibs is now the coach.
          Like I said..... Nurse plays his starters top 10 in MPG. The only difference is that the Raptors have a rock-star team physiotherapist... Alex McKechnie.

I mean MJ was in the 37-40MPG range when the game was supposedly more physical. So was Pippen. Kobe was also above 40MPG for multiple seasons. Odom was over 40MPG. That's what winning coaches do... play their best players heavy minutes.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The thing is... Thibs didn't flame out in Chicago. You are mis-remembering. He coached 5 seasons and left in a season where he had .610 winning percentage. Sure, that pales in comparison to his first 2 seasons at a ridiculous 0.750+ winning clip, but .610 is hardly "flaming out". The reality is that Thibs was driven out because GarPax was lusting after Freddy Hoiberg.... the next great young coaching hope out of college, who they felt would be more modern and easier to work with. They tried to demonize Thibs on his way out to justify their ultimately disastrous coaching hire, which, in hindsight says more about GarPax than Thibs.

Speaking of running your stars into the ground: FVV & Pascal are in the top 8 in minutes/game this year. FVV/Lowry/Pascal were all in the top 11 MPG last year. Lowry & Kawhi were top 20 the year before. I don't see much difference there between Nurse and Thibs.
            FVV and Pascal may be in the top 8 in minutes per game but my guess is nowhere near in total minutes since they've missed so much time. Kyle would normally be up there too, he's just a horse that wants to play.

We had no bench last year.

Same for Kawhi the year before, no doubt high in minutes per game but missed half the games lol.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

FVV and Pascal may be in the top 8 in minutes per game but my guess is nowhere near in total minutes since they've missed so much time. Kyle would normally be up there too, he's just a horse that wants to play.

Same for Kawhi the year before, no doubt high in minutes per game but missed half the games lol.
              https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/nba...minutes-played

Yup Raptors nowhere near close

Comment

Like I said..... Nurse plays his starters top 10 in MPG. The only difference is that the Raptors have a rock-star team physiotherapist... Alex McKechnie.

I mean MJ was in the 37-40MPG range when the game was supposedly more physical. So was Pippen. Kobe was also above 40MPG for multiple seasons. Odom was over 40MPG. That's what winning coaches do... play their best players heavy minutes.
                It was pretty normal back in the day for the superstars to be playing 40 mins a game, but as the game went on, minutes have gotten lower and lower and rest is becoming more important. Randle leads the league this season in minutes per game.

Problem with Thibs isn't just heavy minutes, its more of he pushes his players to their limits, whether its heavy minutes, heavy practice sessions and so on. The players he has coached through out his career has mentioned it in the past as MixxAOR has shown.

Comment

Nurse plays his guys heavy minutes, but the team also gives a lot of our guys days off (either through rest or injury or both). So total minutes is low.. but total minutes per game can be high. Alex and the training staff monitor that kind of usage though. Not sure if Thibs training staff does.. or if Thibs frankly cares about it.

Comment

• Tonight in tank:

Cavs at Pistons: Cleveland winning (which is the slightly more likely outcome) would put them back into possibly having the Raps be able to drop beneath them before season's end.

Bulls at Celtics: Root for the Bulls here, obviously, but Boston is on a hot streak right now.

Thunder at Wiz: Clearly we root for the Wiz here, and they should win this.

Comment

Because our guys get injured due to high MPG. That's the obvious conclusion.

Comment

Because our guys get injured due to high MPG. That's the obvious conclusion.
                        And wrong one

Comment

• This thread went off the rails. No one cares about Thibs, just the tank.

Comment

• The only Raptor who should be at any risk at all for injury from extended minutes is Old Man Lowry, not Pascal, OG or FVV....guys in their frickin' 20's....ride them like red headed step children....or mules.or something

Comment

The only Raptor who should be at any risk at all for injury from extended minutes is Old Man Lowry, not Pascal, OG or FVV....guys in their frickin' 20's....ride them like red headed step children....or mules.or something
                              I agree with this 100% with one exception - if they are truly still affected by covid. Some people recover fast, others take months to fully recover.
                              I can't imagine trying to play at an nba level.and having 30% of your lungs taken away......

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                                This thread went off the rails. No one cares about Thibs, just the tank.
                                I’m as surprised as anyone. Way more posters care about Thibs than anybody expected. Why such a strong reaction to an innocuous post ....is the question.

Comment

Working...
                                X