X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't think Trent will sign an offer sheet with someone else.. and another team won't tie down their cap space for 48 hours with an offer either, knowing that the Raps will match. This is all moot in my opinion.

Trent will make less than Norm. He's 22 and still has a lot to prove. He'll get about $17-18M on the high end. Like what Bogdonovich got in Atlanta. But that was an overpay because they didn't want the Kings to match.

I still think we get him for $15M/yr. $60M/4 seems reasonable. He's starting now, but that's because Lowry is hurt. When the full team is back, he'll be coming off the bench.
    $15M/yr. would be great. I just think teams like taking chances on potential, especially when they start start dropping 40 burgers.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    If Birch starts, then Malachi, Trent, Bembry & Boucher will be our bench when Lowry/FVV/ Siakam are healthy. Same group that just demolished the Cavs last night as starters.

All of a sudden... we have depth?

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    I don't think Trent will sign an offer sheet with someone else.. and another team won't tie down their cap space for 48 hours with an offer either, knowing that the Raps will match. This is all moot in my opinion.

Trent will make less than Norm. He's 22 and still has a lot to prove. He'll get about $17-18M on the high end. Like what Bogdonovich got in Atlanta. But that was an overpay because they didn't want the Kings to match.

I still think we get him for $15M/yr. $60M/4 seems reasonable. He's starting now, but that's because Lowry is hurt. When the full team is back, he'll be coming off the bench.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    TheWaterboy wrote: View Post

Trent Jr.s worth as an RFA is being tempered a little by the fact that he's an RFA, and also (since he doesn't actually have to sign an offer sheet with a lousy team) by the fact that the best team with cap space potentially available, Miami, has Oladipo and are likely to keep him if he is productive with their system and their current team.

The Raptors will want to stay below the tax line if they can, but based on what they've seen so far I would expect them to offer him somewhere between OG money and Fred money, in different configurations including the bridge deal and the Norm-style player option. I would expect them to at least seriously consider matching offer sheets up to 25 mil... but by the time you get to teams who are willing to offer that much, you're likely to be in serious la-la-la-loser territory, I think.
    I was thinking because he only has 3 years in the league and because he's just now being given the chance to play a major role, that it might be a James Harden in OKC situation. A bunch of teams like say Dallas for example, might take a chance on adding a young player showing signs he can be an future All Star.

I was thinks ng he may get OG type offers, yikes if it's upwards of 20M

Leave a comment:

• TheWaterboy
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

It was nice to see even if it was against the Cavs. It felt like with the roster so depleted, the guys who suited up were playing really loose. Maybe the lack of pressure to win or lose helped them relax?

How much is this driving up Trent Jr.'s worth with him already having two career nights in his brief time with the Raps?
    Trent Jr.s worth as an RFA is being tempered a little by the fact that he's an RFA, and also (since he doesn't actually have to sign an offer sheet with a lousy team) by the fact that the best team with cap space potentially available, Miami, has Oladipo and are likely to keep him if he is productive with their system and their current team.

The Raptors will want to stay below the tax line if they can, but based on what they've seen so far I would expect them to offer him somewhere between OG money and Fred money, in different configurations including the bridge deal and the Norm-style player option. I would expect them to at least seriously consider matching offer sheets up to 25 mil... but by the time you get to teams who are willing to offer that much, you're likely to be in serious la-la-la-loser territory, I think.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
    Norm shot 2 for 10 for 9 points against the Pistons last night
    Separation anxiety ....

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post
    Nice to see a bunch of guys show up tonight! Gary Trent Jr at the age of 22 was a steal. Imagine what an off-season in the program might do.

Yuta, Bembery and Flynn played well, and OG just let the other guys have their day. Fun game to watch. I think with a bit more competent depth (yes I’m looking at you Stanley) and a true 5 this team will be back in the top half of the east.
    It was nice to see even if it was against the Cavs. It felt like with the roster so depleted, the guys who suited up were playing really loose. Maybe the lack of pressure to win or lose helped them relax?

How much is this driving up Trent Jr.'s worth with him already having two career nights in his brief time with the Raps?

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    I'm...Gary Trent Jr..is really..really looking like a steal, well..hood will be gone, he can take his money and little from staney, bye Stanley..14 million..at 4 years, 48 to 52 million, probably get's it done..but you know who really impressed me Freddie Gillespie, I like the way kid plays, I was watching him defensive end, he doesn't make mistakes..
    I Love that we have 100 million in salary sitting and cheerleading and laughing, let's give those guys a standing ovation..
    What are we doing, we are not far from the playoffs..are we really tanking,wtf..
    I'm not a huge fan of tanking and praying that the bouncing ball might land on number 1..
    I think these guys should be playing and let's make a run, let's show nba that the raptors are relevant..
    I don't know, anyway even when this team wins, Stanley and Baynes still Suck.☹
    We've already said that regardless of what Masai and Bobby might prefer, you aren't getting Nurse and certainly not NBA players to purposely lose; they're going to win a few games

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Wow that first half was so much fun. I know I should have been sad for the tank, but man that was a blast. Was looking like that Golden State pounding we had a week or so back. Everybody was on fire. It was nuts.

But yeah, 13 points in the third quarter essentially told you that it was fool's gold.. especially against a team that has a worse record than you. Raptors ended up winning, but I think the Cavs brought it back to a reasonable 12 point game at one point. So not very good.

Trent was really awesome. Another career high for him. It looked like he was going to break his previous +/- record, but couldn't because of that 3rd quarter.. either way still ended up with a really awesome +31. If not for Trent's production, Flynn would have been the player of the game. 20 and 11 with 2 steals. He was just setting everyone up.. could have had a few more assists if guys didn't botch things up.

You need opportunity in the NBA.. and when you get it you have to prove what you can do with it. Flynn is definitely a keeper, and we knocked another draft pick out of the park. Just a really good player. He plays a lot like Tony Parker. A year or two more of development, and and I can see him being a top 10 PG in the league. Just love his defensive IQ. He's always in the right spots.

Watanabe seems to have finished his sessions with his shrink after getting dunked on. The kid has rebounded and is playing well again. 6-7 with 5 boards, and some pretty good hustle stats. Good for him.

Tanking wise last night was not a good night. Raps lost to Cleveland. Detroit lost. Kings lost. Wizards lost. Thunder lost. Rockets lost.

Back in the 8th slot in the draft.. and only a game up on the Kings for 9th. Still 3 games back of the Bulls (including the tie breaker) though. That one I still don't think we'll get even if our crew all come back. Unless if Birch gets all of Baynes' minutes. We'll see what happens.

Last year the Hornets moved from 9th to the top 4. But yeah the 9th pick is a pretty sad pick to get after having to watch this dreadful season.
    Nick did his best to recover the tank effort running out Stan and Baynes for a long stretch in the 3rd and 4th to let them back within those 12 points, but as soon as even a couple starters subbed back in we pulled away with ease. It's a game of runs and it was never really close even with Nick's best efforts.

All this with us missing Lowry, Fred AND Pascal and not having our "we don't have to play Baynes anymore" addition. Heck with Pascal back we might not play Baynes OR Stan.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Wow that first half was so much fun. I know I should have been sad for the tank, but man that was a blast. Was looking like that Golden State pounding we had a week or so back. Everybody was on fire. It was nuts.

But yeah, 13 points in the third quarter essentially told you that it was fool's gold.. especially against a team that has a worse record than you. Raptors ended up winning, but I think the Cavs brought it back to a reasonable 12 point game at one point. So not very good.

Trent was really awesome. Another career high for him. It looked like he was going to break his previous +/- record, but couldn't because of that 3rd quarter.. either way still ended up with a really awesome +31. If not for Trent's production, Flynn would have been the player of the game. 20 and 11 with 2 steals. He was just setting everyone up.. could have had a few more assists if guys didn't botch things up.

You need opportunity in the NBA.. and when you get it you have to prove what you can do with it. Flynn is definitely a keeper, and we knocked another draft pick out of the park. Just a really good player. He plays a lot like Tony Parker. A year or two more of development, and and I can see him being a top 10 PG in the league. Just love his defensive IQ. He's always in the right spots.

Watanabe seems to have finished his sessions with his shrink after getting dunked on. The kid has rebounded and is playing well again. 6-7 with 5 boards, and some pretty good hustle stats. Good for him.

Tanking wise last night was not a good night. Raps beat Cleveland. Detroit lost. Kings lost. Wizards lost. Thunder lost. Rockets lost.

Back in the 8th slot in the draft.. and only a game up on the Kings for 9th. Still 3 games back of the Bulls (including the tie breaker) though. That one I still don't think we'll get even if our crew all come back. Unless if Birch gets all of Baynes' minutes. We'll see what happens.

Last year the Hornets moved from 9th to the top 4. But yeah the 9th pick is a pretty sad pick to get after having to watch this dreadful season.

Leave a comment:

• Ebonhawke
    replied
    Norm shot 2 for 10 for 9 points against the Pistons last night

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Nice to see a bunch of guys show up tonight! Gary Trent Jr at the age of 22 was a steal. Imagine what an off-season in the program might do.

Yuta, Bembery and Flynn played well, and OG just let the other guys have their day. Fun game to watch. I think with a bit more competent depth (yes I’m looking at you Stanley) and a true 5 this team will be back in the top half of the east.

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    Van Vleet/ Boucher/ 2 SRPs for Brogdon and Sabonis
    Siakam for KAT
    Sign GTJ
    Sign JJ Redick (6th man)
    pick Kai Jones or Wagner (top 10)
    pick Kispert or Giddey (if we fall in the mid teens and both Jones or Wagner gone)
    retain Birch, Bembry, Watson and Yuta

Sabonis
    KAT
    OG
    GTJ
    Brogdon

Bembry
    JJ Redick
    Flynn
    2021 Pick
    Yuta
    Watson
    Birch

2 more vets to round out the bench

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    Was that the bench (Norm for Trent) plus OG or what !!!

that idiotic theory of we don’t have a bench is well debunked lol

Siakam and Van Vleet just did not live up to the expectations when they started this season

it’s quiet funny to really think of it from the so called experts....

I have a strong feeling...this will go back to the COVID excuse again next game

Leave a comment:

• Dr Hannibal Lecter
    replied
    I'm...Gary Trent Jr..is really..really looking like a steal, well..hood will be gone, he can take his money and little from staney, bye Stanley..14 million..at 4 years, 48 to 52 million, probably get's it done..but you know who really impressed me Freddie Gillespie, I like the way kid plays, I was watching him defensive end, he doesn't make mistakes..
    I Love that we have 100 million in salary sitting and cheerleading and laughing, let's give those guys a standing ovation..
    What are we doing, we are not far from the playoffs..are we really tanking,wtf..
    I'm not a huge fan of tanking and praying that the bouncing ball might land on number 1..
    I think these guys should be playing and let's make a run, let's show nba that the raptors are relevant..
    I don't know, anyway even when this team wins, Stanley and Baynes still Suck.☹

Leave a comment:

Working...
X