GAME 54 - Toronto Raptors vs New York - April 11 2021 @ 8 PM EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    The double dribble was bad, but his shots go half way in and pops out, very unfortunate.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Problem isn’t Pascal.... it’s his contract.
      Yeah this was a major egg he laid tonight but Siakam is averaging 21/7/4.5 on the season, with good defence. Because of the low efficiency, that's far from all-star, but also far from "bad player". The whole problem with Siakam is the artificially high expectations put on him after Kawhi left.

His usage is too high and he's not a closer/clutch player. He's an average nba starter. That's it. When I started seeing him that way, I stopped getting frustrated.

It's tough to see it that way because of the contract, but with 2 or 3 starter caliber rookie scale deals on this roster again, the salary sheet will be more balanced and this premium on his contract will be more easily digested. That's why it's important we tank properly and get a lottery pick this year.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

They are clearly tanking. Why would they rest a 23 year old player if they're serious about making the playoffs?

Funny thing is, the Bulls lost to the worst team in the NBA today so Raptors still 2 games back. And yes, I still think the Raptors will make the playoffs.
        It's funny how even after this game I'm starting to actually believe you when you said the Raptors will make the play in. Chicago isn't serious either and continue losing so that gives us hope. But also this was the best our bench looked all season. With Flynn and Yuta coming on plus no more Baynes or Stanley we may be alright lol. Once we get Fred and OG back I think we can win enough games. Even just OG may be enough. We would have definitely won tonight if OG played.
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Pretty good showing, Birch was a huge upgrade over Baynes. They can still make the playoffs, if we get everyone back in time......

Comment

• DeMar with the nice step back jumper to win the game for Spurs, last night.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              That something very bad happened GoT soundtrack fit is perfect though.
              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Tough loss.. although even if Siakam didn't turn that over there, the Knicks had a chance to win since it was their ball with about 11 seconds left. Kyle and Siakam both each had 5 turnovers.. Kyle stepped out of bounds. He threw the ball away on an inbound pass. There were three others I guess... but 10 turnovers from our best two players.. yikes... and then the one in the clutch by Pascal.. gross.

Glad they are all getting it out of their system in this lost year. Best time to do it.

Pascal is getting shat on a lot by Raptor fandom. This was his 5th worst game of the year if using game score as a barometer. He is averaging a games score of 16.0. Which is okay.. not max worthy.. but Jamal Murray is averaging 16.1. They get paid the same amount (well Pascal has a bit of an uptick since he got into the second team all-nba).

Siakam needs to be better.. I think he can be. He started off the season really badly.. but he has had some great moments.. he was really great against the Warriors for example. Trent Jr stole the show, but Siakam was really awesome that game too.. and that was just a week or so back. I thought Siakam's 3rd quarter was really good. He figured out how to navigate through the Knicks wall that they built in the paint. Still that double dribble in the clutch will be his low light of that game. Just too many anti-clutch moments for him this season. Again best season to do it in since it's a complete write off anyway.

Knicks play great defense. What I like is that they play without fouling.. unlike the Raptors. Just know how to use their length.. they double team when they have to, but do a good job of covering the paint and playing hard to cover shooters. Thibs is pretty good when he has the right guys around him. For the Raptors to even come back and take the lead was remarkable. That rain delay really threw the Knicks off their game.

Sucks that both Trent and Flynn had wide open 3's off of some nice passes.. and they missed them both. Ignoring Pascal's flub in the clutch.. those were as big. Especially Flynn's. Man you were wide open!

Other than the turnovers, Lowry looked good. He was the only offense for awhile. That pass to Trent Jr over Noel's hand was amazing. I'm going to miss that when he's playing for someone else. I don't like the Flynn/Lowry combo look though. Feels like Flynn struggles to play off guard, or if he is initiating he feels he has to give the ball back to Kyle or Pascal immediately. Wish he had a bit more Fred in him, where he just took over and didn't look over his shoulder. He played great defense on Quickley.

Boucher had another solid 17 and 14. He flopped on two lob attempts.. the communication between him and Pascal/Malachi has to be more crisp.

Trent was great again. Bembry was all 0's. Not sure why he even suited up. Felt like Birch was an upgrade to Baynes already (shocker).. but he is really bad on offense. Like just zero awareness. Good at blocking out and grabbing boards, and is agile enough to defend well. But yeah he's a spot bench guy if anything. I liked Yuta's hustle game. It always feels like he's doing a face plant every game though, and then turning over the ball as a result.

Overall was a fun game, with an expected outcome. Chicago some how lost to the Wolves.. so remain 3 up on the play in. Indiana won so they are securing that 9th seed. Someone had to win in the New Orleans / Cleveland game.. at least the Pelicans are moving a bit further away from the pack. Pistons lost too, but it looks like they made it a game against the Clippers.

18 games left.. not much runway left. Let's see what happens when everyone starts coming back.

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                    Flynn reminds me of nash with his stop and go hesitation moves
                    I wonder if he studied old video of Nash. There is some resemblance in style of play.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      ...Felt like Birch was an upgrade to Baynes already (shocker).. but he is really bad on offense. Like just zero awareness. Good at blocking out and grabbing boards, and is agile enough to defend well. But yeah he's a spot bench guy if anything...
                      I expect him to look a lot better in a couple or three weeks. He needs to know what the defensive and offensive options are. there were a couple of blown passes where regular members passed the ball to where they expected someone to be, based on the play they were running. And a couple of blown defensive possessions by Birch because he didn't know whether he was supposed to help or not. A couple of turnovers and a couple of baskets made might have turned the game for the Knicks. But you've got to play new guys when you are down on bodies. And you pay the price. Better to get a look now now in a lost season than wait for next year.

Comment

• What's really depressing about this season, reading such comments in non Raptors threads:

"Well at least we aren't the Raptors"
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          Problem isn’t Pascal.... it’s his contract.
                          Problem isn’t his contract. It’s that he’s being asked to be a ball handling, playmaking guard and is really an athletic, finishing, skilled PF.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post

It's funny how even after this game I'm starting to actually believe you when you said the Raptors will make the play in. Chicago isn't serious either and continue losing so that gives us hope. But also this was the best our bench looked all season. With Flynn and Yuta coming on plus no more Baynes or Stanley we may be alright lol. Once we get Fred and OG back I think we can win enough games. Even just OG may be enough. We would have definitely won tonight if OG played.
                            I didn't say play in, I said playoffs.

The only thing that could prevent the Raptors from making the playoffs is Nurse. He is CLEARLY tanking. Forget resting one of his best players last night(OG). Nurse is known as a coach who plays his best players heavy mins. The Raptors two best players are Lowry and Trent. Both those guys sat the first 8 mins of the 4th. Mike Breen thought there was something wrong with Lowry because Lowry sat most of the 4th.

If Nurse keeps doing this then they're going to be in the lottery. But if he coaches this team like he normally does then they're going to surpass Chicago in the standings and it's not even going to be close.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Problem isn’t his contract. It’s that he’s being asked to be a ball handling, playmaking guard and is really an athletic, finishing, skilled PF.
                              .... and that's not a max player either, unless we're talking Anthony Davis or Giannis level. Pascal is almost exactly like a less efficient Jerami Grant, with better playmaking. That's not a max player, or shouldn't be if you're managing your cap properly.

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                                Flynn reminds me of nash with his stop and go hesitation moves
                                CP3 lite (for now).

Comment

Working...
                                X