No announcement yet.

Game 56 Toronto Raptors vs San Antonio Spurs - 7:30 PM EST Apr 14/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we won eh? Not going to lie.. a bit disappointed in the outcome, but it is what it is. We beat a playoff team that was at full strength (although I think were on the back end of their long road trip). We can still get into the top 4 with the 10th pick (LAL moved up from 11 in 2019).

OG was awesome in this one.. so everything I didn't like about him against Atlanta got erased in this one. His defense on DeRozan was really good.. I mean DD still ended up with a pretty decent box score, but you can see he was getting frustrated with OG's defense. DD's 11 assists were awesome.. wish he could have been a playmaker in Toronto too. But yeah, OG at SG. Could be a thing.. not the best ball handler, and we got a turnover with an 8 second violation from it.. but its a learning curve.

Pascal was slightly inefficient, but was working a triple double. Good to see him grab boards. Boucher had an easier time with Birch beside him.. and it shows how important it is to keep Boucher at PF and have a banger next to him. I think a Boucher/JV pair would have been perfect. Is the 14 points for Birch a career high now? I believe that was the mark he was trying to get the other game. Flynn had another decent game. Just needs to settle down a bit.. game obviously is still a little too fast for him, but when he gets older he will fit in like a glove. I'm a Watson fan, so nice to see him get a few shots drop. He does disappear but that happens with most role players. Yuta had a lot of energy and finished with a game high +9. Stanley Johnson finished with a +/- above 0. Wow.

I think I heard, and I have to look it up some how, but didn't Matt or Jack or maybe Leo at a break say something like the Raps were 11-3 (now 12-3) this season when they won the rebounding battle? If true.. think about that for a second. We have a 22-34 record.. 12-3 when we won the rebound battle (if accurate), 10-31 when we didn't. Imagine if we had a guy that can grab boards? That's why I think we'll be right back on top of the East if we get a reliable center next year. It's just one damn position.. and a position that's apparently easy to get in the NBA these days.

Yeah so Chicago lost to Orlando yikes. Kings lost again but to the Wizards. Cavs won (and without Sexton too).

Still 16-18 games left, but my prediction for how the season ends:

6. Kings
    7. Cavs
    8. Bulls
    9. Raptors
    10. Wizards

If we do end up getting into the play-in.. we won't get past Indiana let alone a team like NY or Charlotte, or Miami. But we'll see. Our team is coming back full strength, but it's all about rebounding. Will Baynes get another shot on the court? Will Freddie 2.0's contract be renewed? Will he and Khem continue to get a lot of minutes? Is Trent Jr coming off the bench? Stay tuned I guess.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      So we won eh? Not going to lie.. a bit disappointed in the outcome, but it is what it is. We beat a playoff team that was at full strength (although I think were on the back end of their long road trip). We can still get into the top 4 with the 10th pick (LAL moved up from 11 in 2019).

OG was awesome in this one.. so everything I didn't like about him against Atlanta got erased in this one. His defense on DeRozan was really good.. I mean DD still ended up with a pretty decent box score, but you can see he was getting frustrated with OG's defense. DD's 11 assists were awesome.. wish he could have been a playmaker in Toronto too. But yeah, OG at SG. Could be a thing.. not the best ball handler, and we got a turnover with an 8 second violation from it.. but its a learning curve.

Pascal was slightly inefficient, but was working a triple double. Good to see him grab boards. Boucher had an easier time with Birch beside him.. and it shows how important it is to keep Boucher at PF and have a banger next to him. I think a Boucher/JV pair would have been perfect. Is the 14 points for Birch a career high now? I believe that was the mark he was trying to get the other game. Flynn had another decent game. Just needs to settle down a bit.. game obviously is still a little too fast for him, but when he gets older he will fit in like a glove. I'm a Watson fan, so nice to see him get a few shots drop. He does disappear but that happens with most role players. Yuta had a lot of energy and finished with a game high +9. Stanley Johnson finished with a +/- above 0. Wow.

I think I heard, and I have to look it up some how, but didn't Matt or Jack or maybe Leo at a break say something like the Raps were 11-3 (now 12-3) this season when they won the rebounding battle? If true.. think about that for a second. We have a 22-34 record.. 12-3 when we won the rebound battle (if accurate), 10-31 when we didn't. Imagine if we had a guy that can grab boards? That's why I think we'll be right back on top of the East if we get a reliable center next year. It's just one damn position.. and a position that's apparently easy to get in the NBA these days.

Yeah so Chicago lost to Orlando yikes. Kings lost again but to the Wizards. Cavs won (and without Sexton too).

Still 16-18 games left, but my prediction for how the season ends:

6. Kings
      7. Cavs
      8. Bulls
      9. Raptors
      10. Wizards

If we do end up getting into the play-in.. we won't get past Indiana let alone a team like NY or Charlotte, or Miami. But we'll see. Our team is coming back full strength, but it's all about rebounding. Will Baynes get another shot on the court? Will Freddie 2.0's contract be renewed? Will he and Khem continue to get a lot of minutes? Is Trent Jr coming off the bench? Stay tuned I guess.
      I'm assuming that prediction is lottery odds order and not Eastern Conference playoff position? (If it's the latter, then the Kings are definitely in the wrong place.)

I am not at all sure how the soft tank is going to work out for the Raptors, given that the Raptors have been winning occasionally with even with multiple players held out and have nearly come back in several more (but the schedule also gets challenging very soon, so...)

If the Raptors do somehow sneak in through the play-in, I'm not entirely convinced that the Nets are the worst first-round opponent for them, as the Nets have previously been vulnerable to stingy defense from a team with multiple players that can defend one or more of their stars one-on-one.

Comment

A.I wrote: View Post

There are also the Wizards who could sneak into the Play-In. They are currently tied with us and have been winning some games now with Beal back.
        Wizards also have 2 games in hand and a much easier schedule.

Comment

Not sure why people are down on this team if they make the play in? Like, why would we be outclassed against such powerhouses as the Knicks or Indy or Charlotte...
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

TheWaterboy wrote: View Post

I'm assuming that prediction is lottery odds order and not Eastern Conference playoff position? (If it's the latter, then the Kings are definitely in the wrong place.)

I am not at all sure how the soft tank is going to work out for the Raptors, given that the Raptors have been winning occasionally with even with multiple players held out and have nearly come back in several more (but the schedule also gets challenging very soon, so...)

If the Raptors do somehow sneak in through the play-in, I'm not entirely convinced that the Nets are the worst first-round opponent for them, as the Nets have previously been vulnerable to stingy defense from a team with multiple players that can defend one or more of their stars one-on-one.
            League wide standings in reverse.. basically pre-lottery standings. The Raptors schedule gets really, really difficult soon. Just take a look and see who they are going to be playing. It's going to be a slog. They beat San Antonio but I believe it was the tail end of their 5 game road trip. Those are always hard to win. Usually a scheduled loss.. although we had our 3rd game in 4 nights with half the team out as well. Spurs should have won, and almost did.

Once in the play-in, they have to win twice. The 9th place team (so probably Indiana).. and then the loser of the 7vs8 match.. so some team like Miami, NY, Charlotte, or perhaps Boston if they flounder down the stretch.

No guarantee that if they make the play-in that they make the playoffs.. and I'm guessing Philly gets the #1 seed not Brooklyn. They played last night and Philly won, which helps in overall seeding.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              Not sure why people are down on this team if they make the play in? Like, why would we be outclassed against such powerhouses as the Knicks or Indy or Charlotte...
              With a full & healthy squad the only teams that are close to the Raps in talent level are the Pacers & Bulls. I'm not sold on Billy Donovan as a coach and Nate is a rookie coach but could be a sneaky bad matchup because he knows how Nurse thinks.

And assuming we get into the playoffs, the Nets are extremely vulnerable to upsets because they have a bottom 6 defense. Has any team won an NBA championship being 25th overall in defense? I could Nurse & Co. salivating at the chance to salvage the season by knocking off the vaunted Nets in the first round. Sixers don't worry me at all because they don't have a legit closer and once they get down, they are mentally weak. They don't have Jimmy Butler to bail them out.

Comment

It's pretty clear that most of the fan base wants the Raptors to get a high draft pick.. with a chance to get into the top 4. Making the play-in, and then the playoffs guarantees the 15th pick, with no chance at the top 4. And most likely a sweep or a loss in 5 games to Philly or Brooklyn. In likely embarrassing fashion too.

Comment

Because we dont want to make the playoffs anymore. At best, we get the 8 seed and get rolled up by BK (or philly, good luck with Embiid this time around), and get a shitty draft pick with no lottery balls.

why bother this year? Pack it in, see yall in toronto next season restocked with a nice rookie piece and cap space
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Yeah.. I mean we upgraded Baynes to Freddie 2.0 and Khem Birch.. huge upgrade, but still pretty sub par if you consider what we might be going up against in round 1 (assuming we get through the play-in)

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post

I know you’re a Chicago fan, I don’t watch them, how are they still losing with all that talent? And to teams like Orlando lol. I’m so confused
                      A lot of things.

1. They don't have a starting PG. White is so bad that Satoransky has completey surpassed him on the depth chart.
                      2. They moved Markkanen and White to the bench since the trade and both guys are sulking. They're already horrible defenders(specially White) but now they're also not producing offensively.
                      3. Thad Young's role has completely changed since the trade.

Looking back, i think they would've been better if they traded for a legit starting PG instead. Someone like Lonzo.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Thoughts on OG as a shooting guard?

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post

A lot of things.

1. They don't have a starting PG. White is so bad that Satoransky has completey surpassed him on the depth chart.
                          2. They moved Markkanen and White to the bench since the trade and both guys are sulking. They're already horribledefenders(specially White) but now they're also not producing offensively.
                          3. Thad Young's role has completely changed since the trade.

Looking back, i think they would've been better if they traded for a legit starting PG instead. Someone like Lonzo.
                          I see! I didn’t realize White was bad. Especially since he played so well against us the other day. But I did know that they were a bad defensive team which definitely doesn’t help. How has Thad’s role Changed? I thought starting him was smart because he’s the only player that actually plays defence?
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                            Thoughts on OG as a shooting guard?
                            Not permanently unless we get a SF who can handle the ball and score. OG isn't someone you want bringing the ball the up the court.

It has its benefits though, OG is much bigger and stronger than most SGs in the league.

Comment

If the team moves up a spot and gets #10 and the play in, that's their draft position no matter what happens in the play in. So theoretically they could make the play in, win and make the playoffs, and still draft in the lottery.

The competition to stay where they are or move up in lottery odds is certainly looking tough. The bottom of the East really sucks and is somehow getting worse.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                                If the team moves up a spot and gets #10 and the play in, that's their draft position no matter what happens in the play in. So theoretically they could make the play in, win and make the playoffs, and still draft in the lottery.

The competition to stay where they are or move up in lottery odds is certainly looking tough. The bottom of the East really sucks and is somehow getting worse.
                                No.. if they win the play-in and make the playoffs, their pick moves up to 15th and they do not get a lottery chance to move to the top 4.

If they lose in the play-in (either round 1 or round 2) then they will stay where they are at.. so 10th in the East, possibly 9th worst in the league with a chance to get into the top 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X