'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maury wrote: View Post
    Lillard maybe wants out? What's the offer for us? Fred, Boucher, and a whole bunch of picks? I'd really wanna hold onto OG and Pascal.
    *If* Dame is on the market (and I'm skeptical of that - think it's some writers/bloggers reading too much into his comments about Billups), there'd be some competition - I'd imagine that Simmons would be available for someone of Lillard's impact from Philadelphia - I would think that Boston would have an offer centered by Jaylen Brown, etc

All depends on what Blazers management's 'vision' is - trading Lillard and/or McCollum this offseason could 'restock' / transfer the Blazers' roster.

Imagine either the Bucks, or Hawks with McCollum at the 2 in this series?

Comment

• One of the things I saw this year was the importance of stocking the cupboard up after pushing the chips forward and going for it. We cannot get Lillard without giving up significant assets. We just started gaining assets back and to push ALL of them or close to all of them for Dame, I don't know if its worth it. You are likely giving up Siakam or OG. FVV and the 4th will not be enough.

You will likely also have to give up another one of FVV with the other aforementioned asset, plus the 4th plus potentially another asset like a future pick or two. In my opinion it isn't worth it. The only reason I would even remotely entertain it is for the sake of having a star who is under contract long term. But what if he is unhappy and wants out after 2 years here? If you go for lillard you have to be sure you can compete for a title in the next 3 years with 100% certainty or close to it because otherwise you cant do it. You cannot pivot if it doesn't work because if you have to pivote it will involve losing Lillard or getting some form of a down grade. I don't think we are the team to go for it with Lillard. I can see the clippers making a trade that makes more sense.

Comment

• Who would be the 'name' that would be going from the Clippers to Portland?

Clippers cap situation would make a deal for a high salaried player ... difficult

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
          Who would be the 'name' that would be going from the Clippers to Portland?

Clippers cap situation would make a deal for a high salaried player ... difficult
          pg13?

I can also see the Celtics.. they need a shake up to be fair. If they were willing to part with brown.

Comment

• Sign and trade Kyle…?
            He goes to Philly. Simmons to Portland?

Would be impressive if we could trade for Dame without sending out any of FVV, OG, PS.
            Last edited by GOLDBLUM; Sun Jun 27, 2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
              Sign and trade Kyle…?

Would be impressive if we could trade for Dame without sending out any of FVV, OG, PS.
              😮… they should already prep the mold of that statue of Masai hugging Kyle

Comment

Sign and trade Kyle…?

I mean of course dame added to this team without giving up any assets would be nutty... but I doubt that happens.

That is the problem you would need to add dame to siakam and OG and I don't think a deal gets done without those two being discussed.

Comment

Sign and trade Kyle…?

I think if Sixers are trading Simmons to the Blazers, they'll likely want Dame on their team.

Comment

Sign and trade Kyle…?

Yes. That Dame rumour is fluff as there's no direct quotes from the player BUT if Dame was truly disgruntled and the Raptors send this years pick (4th overall) to the blazers and a future first to Philly ,I can see that as a win for the 3 teams.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ygxz6pgb

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

I think if Sixers are trading Simmons to the Blazers, they'll likely want Dame on their team.
                      True, but Simmons value is way lower than Dame. Blazers would be looking for a high pick (which Philly don't have) and likely another first. That's where the Raptors would come in with the 4th overall. Painful, but worth it for Lillard.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

True, but Simmons value is way lower than Dame. Blazers would be looking for a high pick (which Philly don't have) and likely another first. That's where the Raptors would come in with the 4th overall. Painful, but worth it for Lillard.
                        Also though, even though Ben's value is at an all-time low, I don't know if Kyle alone is enough for the Sixers to enter this arrangement.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

hey it's the other figurehead of that sub-sect! i said "kind of a bargain", in that for an ascending player who was a coveted free agent, that deal is pretty damn fair i think. many analogous scenarios end in egregious overpays (which i understand you think this is, but i disagree).

i wouldn't consider reggie jackson a bargain so much as a complete anomaly. signed off the scrap heap for pretty much the veteran minimum who has turned into an allstar in the playoffs. you have to think they might have signed him to more than a one year deal if that wasn't complete dumbshit luck. yes rose performed very well but he's also in his 30's with a serious injury history, so that associated risk got factored into his deal. i think we're talking about two different things really, there are many examples of useful veterans signing for scraps for one reason or another.

i think fred would have started on the majority of playoff teams this year (all except healthy brooklyn, washington, phoenix, utah, and portland teams, and possibly atlanta), but you calling him best suited to come off the bench is very on-brand and i'd expect nothing less.

he's also responsible for us jumping to 4th, which is worth a couple million per itself.
                          hey it's the figurehead of ".... there is absolutely no way that the Raptors can successfully tank this year." Well, we're going to end up with your boy, Suggs, or Mobley at the very least. Thanks to Fred... lol. Good thing Masai and Bobby finally relented and agreed with the pro-tankers for this throwaway season. And this is coming from somebody who considers tanking thoroughly distasteful.

Look, man... for the record, I really like Fred. He's smart, tough and he helped us win the chip. That will never be forgotten and forever appreciated. He's an extremely useful player with great leadership intangibles. But.... I really do feel like his best role is as a combo guard off the bench on a championship team. Yes, he can be a situational starter at SG or PG, like an Eric Gordon/Derrick Rose/Cam Payne/Jordan Clarkson with better defense and much, much less shot-creation/finishing. Fred can even be a full-time starter when surrounded by multiple playmakers and shot-creators... we've seen that. But he shouldn't be a focal point on a contender, although it looks like he's being groomed as the heir apparent franchise point-guard when Lowry leaves (unless we draft Suggs).

Given that we might not have championship aspirations for a while, we should look at scenarios to trade Fred for max return by the upcoming deadline (at the latest), since he only signed a 3-year deal. Trading him the following season will be tough because he'd be viewed as a rental.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

hey it's the figurehead of ".... there is absolutely no way that the Raptors can successfully tank this year." Well, we're going to end up with your boy, Suggs, or Mobley at the very least. Thanks to Fred... lol. Good thing Masai and Bobby finally relented and agreed with the pro-tankers for this throwaway season. And this is coming from somebody who considers tanking thoroughly distasteful.

Look, man... for the record, I really like Fred. He's smart, tough and he helped us win the chip. That will never be forgotten and forever appreciated. He's an extremely useful player with great leadership intangibles. But.... I really do feel like his best role is as a combo guard off the bench on a championship team. Yes, he can be a situational starter at SG or PG, like an Eric Gordon/Derrick Rose/Cam Payne/Jordan Clarkson with better defense and much, much less shot-creation/finishing. Fred can even be a full-time starter when surrounded by multiple playmakers and shot-creators... we've seen that. But he shouldn't be a focal point on a contender, although it looks like he's being groomed as the heir apparent franchise point-guard when Lowry leaves (unless we draft Suggs).

Given that we might not have championship aspirations for a while, we should look at scenarios to trade Fred for max return by the upcoming deadline (at the latest), since he only signed a 3-year deal. Trading him the following season will be tough because he'd be viewed as a rental.
                            4 year with PO on the final year.

If you traded FVV it would have to be this off season no question or early in this season. That said a rental isn't exactly a rental if you have two years to figure it out. I agree with your assessment. I love fred he plays great defence, he can offensively keep the team afloat. At the same time I think his height make it difficult for him to finish inside and be a midrange creator without a floater. I think he is the reason why I don't want Green because to make it work you need another playmaker beyond siakam.

Comment

Also though, even though Ben's value is at an all-time low, I don't know if Kyle alone is enough for the Sixers to enter this arrangement.
                              You're right, we'd probably have to send a future first to Philly to sweeten the deal, but ultimately, Simmons value is at an all-time low. Many fans would like to see him gone. I think when they see Phoenix about to head to the nba finals after getting Chris Paul, they gotta be thinking what a true, floor spacing PG could do for them playing with Embiid.

This is a time where Kyle's perceived value to them is at a high and Simmon's at a low. I would rather not have Simmons here though, would prefer a 3rd team involved to take him, and we would get their assets.

Comment

• Don't want Simmons. We will just be thinking about how to trade him in couple of months. Can't win with that guy and no point in trying to fix him. He is what he is.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X