Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I'm not sold on Myles Turner.. he'd be a huge upgrade, no question. But the dude rebounds like Andrea Bargnani, and is shooting 33% from 3.. so not really a floor spacer. Just think it would cost too much in assets to get him too.

    Maybe I'm overrating Holmes too. JV would be awesome.. can we bring him back?


    Comment


    • #17
      planetmars wrote: View Post
      I'm not sold on Myles Turner.. he'd be a huge upgrade, no question. But the dude rebounds like Andrea Bargnani, and is shooting 33% from 3.. so not really a floor spacer. Just think it would cost too much in assets to get him too.

      Maybe I'm overrating Holmes too. JV would be awesome.. can we bring him back?

      JV has found a nice home. He's the 2nd best player on that team and gets the 3rd most minutes. And his coaches and teammates appreciate him.

      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

      Comment


      • #18
        KeonClark wrote: View Post

        JV has found a nice home. He's the 2nd best player on that team and gets the 3rd most minutes. And his coaches and teammates appreciate him.

        To be fair, Nurse would use him a lot better than Casey did.

        Comment


        • #19
          This is my hyper realistic take:

          PG: Let Lowry walk or S&T him for something worthwhile. FVV is the starter

          SG: Resign GT Jr.

          SF: OG

          PF: Siakam

          C: Holmes with cap space from letting Lowry walk or someone from Lowry S&T

          Bench:
          Flynn as backup PG
          1st Rd Pick take best player available, we need depth at every position and should not be drafting on need
          Boucher as the backup PF who can play some C
          Birch or Freddie G as backup C
          Yuta or Bembry as wing depth
          2nd round picks to round out the bench / play in G League

          This is a solid playoff team 1 Kawhi away from being a title contender. I think staying 1 piece away is the best place for this franchise to be at all times. Depending on who we draft and how they pan out, it could free us up to deal one of our "stars" in FVV or Siakam to get that Kawhi esque piece we're missing. That's why I'm not opposed at all to taking a PG if that is who is best available (there are a lot projected in the top 10).

          Comment


          • #20
            A.I wrote: View Post

            To be fair, Nurse would use him a lot better than Casey did.
            FWIW, Nurse played JV only 18.8 MPG (career low) and platooned him with Serge. JV was more efficient off the bench, though.

            Comment


            • #21
              golden wrote: View Post

              FWIW, Nurse played JV only 18.8 MPG (career low) and platooned him with Serge. JV was more efficient off the bench, though.
              Yah but Serge isn't here any more. JV wouldn't be playing behind Birch etc

              Comment


              • #22
                JV isn't a free agent this offseason, so do you wanna trade for JV? Memphis needs him so he won't be cheap. I don't know why we're discussing JV beyond the fact he used to play here.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Primer wrote: View Post
                  JV isn't a free agent this offseason, so do you wanna trade for JV? Memphis needs him so he won't be cheap. I don't know why we're discussing JV beyond the fact he used to play here.
                  That's why. Just fans saying he's the type of C that could help us now

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Primer wrote: View Post
                    JV isn't a free agent this offseason, so do you wanna trade for JV? Memphis needs him so he won't be cheap. I don't know why we're discussing JV beyond the fact he used to play here.
                    Because we need rebounding on defense and some form of efficient scoring at the rim on offense. JV helps both those areas.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I like a Myles Turner type idea and go all in on defence. Team would have a hard time scoring at times but as mentioned would still be a "one piece away" team anyway.

                      It really was defence the kept them in/got them through entire series on that title run. Ditto LA last year. As much as the league has become about 50 pieces and tons of 3s, teams that make deep runs have great defence. Feels a bit underappreciated at the ment.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        JV's not as crazy an idea as you might think, depending on how the JJJ stretch to close the season goes. They may want to shift a little younger. If the Raps lose Lowry, they could have the cap room to absorb him (or Turner) pretty much straight up in a trade, so could be just picks or prospects heading the other way. If they are going to try to win now...

                        If Lowry stays it gets more difficult but guaranteeing a guy like Hood and making the deal at the draft could happen too.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Why not try and get Olynyk and draft best center available? Imagine having Boucher, Birch and Olynyk, while being back in Toronto!!

                          Olynyk/Birch/Rookie
                          Siakam/Boucher/Gillespie
                          Anunoby/Watanabe/Watson
                          Lowry/Trent/Bembry
                          VanVleet/Flynn/Rookie

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            DanH wrote: View Post
                            JV's not as crazy an idea as you might think, depending on how the JJJ stretch to close the season goes. They may want to shift a little younger. If the Raps lose Lowry, they could have the cap room to absorb him (or Turner) pretty much straight up in a trade, so could be just picks or prospects heading the other way. If they are going to try to win now...

                            If Lowry stays it gets more difficult but guaranteeing a guy like Hood and making the deal at the draft could happen too.
                            Bringing back JV is absolutely a crazy idea. He'd help in the regular season I'm sure but he'd hurt spacing for Siakam on offense and he still can't guard in space which was one of his drawbacks.

                            With the cap space the way it is and the pool of realistic options what they are I wonder if the particular skill set the Raps need in their future C might be found outside of the NBA. Bigs are generally more skilled in other basket ball leagues.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              LJ2 wrote: View Post

                              Bringing back JV is absolutely a crazy idea. He'd help in the regular season I'm sure but he'd hurt spacing for Siakam on offense and he still can't guard in space which was one of his drawbacks.

                              With the cap space the way it is and the pool of realistic options what they are I wonder if the particular skill set the Raps need in their future C might be found outside of the NBA. Bigs are generally more skilled in other basket ball leagues.
                              JV has pretty consistently been better in the playoffs than the regular season and dragged past teams to entire series wins. Yes, you need to tailor your defensive scheme a bit in his minutes, going more conservative, but the Raptors like to go small in clutch minutes anyway. Siakam always had loads of success beside JV, as JV can shoot the three a little and more importantly is enough of a threat inside and on the boards that he can still provide spacing since guys can't leave him even if he's closer to the rim. He also has basically his entire career of experience staying out of perimeter players' way inside, which was Baynes' real problem, walking his man into driving lanes.

                              I think they need quality rather than a specific fit. If it's a defensive anchor like Turner, great. Offensive production and inside presence like JV, also great. Energy big like Holmes, fine (step down in quality from the other two but solid enough).
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                DanH wrote: View Post

                                JV has pretty consistently been better in the playoffs than the regular season and dragged past teams to entire series wins. Yes, you need to tailor your defensive scheme a bit in his minutes, going more conservative, but the Raptors like to go small in clutch minutes anyway. Siakam always had loads of success beside JV, as JV can shoot the three a little and more importantly is enough of a threat inside and on the boards that he can still provide spacing since guys can't leave him even if he's closer to the rim. He also has basically his entire career of experience staying out of perimeter players' way inside, which was Baynes' real problem, walking his man into driving lanes.

                                I think they need quality rather than a specific fit. If it's a defensive anchor like Turner, great. Offensive production and inside presence like JV, also great. Energy big like Holmes, fine (step down in quality from the other two but solid enough).
                                Shoot the 3 a little is correct, I think I can remember every 3 he took as a Raptor . Definitely would like to see them bring someone in at C that can be played in crunch time minutes. Someone with size but quick enough and smart enough to defend at a high level.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X