Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • slaw wrote: View Post

    Over 82 games, he's going to do way more good than bad, help you win games, put up lots of stats, play great defense, and be a winning player. Over 82 games you can do lots of things with him and it won't be a big problem. IN fact, he'll probably be an all-star, all-defense and maybe make an all-NBA team or two.

    The issue is that in certain situations in the playoffs he becomes a serious liability to the team because he can't make free throws (hack-a-Simmons) and he won't/cant' shoot at all, which not only presents a team with serious tactical problems but if you're constructing a roster you basically need to have a closing five-man unit without your best all-around player on it.

    Bottom line is that he needs to learn to shoot. He doesn't need to be great or even good or even average but he needs to have something in his arsenal and he needs to fix the free throw issue.
    I think he will have to accept that he needs to play PF and do the dirty work and become known for that ... I dont think he ever shoots.

    Comment


    • golden wrote: View Post

      The game has changed a lot since 2005-06.
      For sure, but Simmons is the kind of talent you adjust to make room for if you're in need of a PF, play making, and defense, but have plenty of 3PT shooting. That's not us but some teams fit the bill.

      Comment


      • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

        I think he will have to accept that he needs to play PF and do the dirty work and become known for that ... I dont think he ever shoots.
        Refuse to believe that a guy this skilled can’t learn to shoot. Perhaps if he used his dominant hand? Cause right now he’s trying to bowl with his feet.

        Comment


        • slaw wrote: View Post

          Refuse to believe that a guy this skilled can’t learn to shoot. Perhaps if he used his dominant hand? Cause right now he’s trying to bowl with his feet.
          He was playing basketball since he was a child. If he didn't learn by now why would he learn now
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

          Comment


          • MixxAOR wrote: View Post

            He was playing basketball since he was a child. If he didn't learn by now why would he learn now
            If he wants to be a great player, then he will learn. If he doesn't, he won't. Sometimes you need to reach a crossroads before you are forced to do something..

            Comment


            • Primer wrote: View Post

              For sure, but Simmons is the kind of talent you adjust to make room for if you're in need of a PF, play making, and defense, but have plenty of 3PT shooting. That's not us but some teams fit the bill.
              You are basically describing the Bucks. But they had to build an entire system around Giannis and pair him with a stretch 5 to unlock his value. Simmons isn't freakishly physically dominant like Giannis for a team to want to build everything around him. He also doesn't have the competitive fire of Giannis. He's not "that kind of talent".

              Comment


              • golden wrote: View Post

                You are basically describing the Bucks. But they had to build an entire system around Giannis and pair him with a stretch 5 to unlock his value. Simmons isn't freakishly physically dominant like Giannis for a team to want to build everything around him. He also doesn't have the competitive fire of Giannis. He's not "that kind of talent".
                Yeah Simmons is a lot like Giannis just not as good, especially mentally.

                Comment


                • Primer wrote: View Post

                  Yeah Simmons is a lot like Giannis just not as good, especially mentally.
                  Thats where they are different and what makes Giannis a superstar. They are very similar players, but Giannis has confidence. People can taunt him and count the seconds for his free throws, he can miss free throws, he'll still try to drive the ball down your throat every possession.

                  Simmons' confidence on missing free throws got shaken to the point where he was passing up open dunks to avoid getting fouled.

                  Comment


                  • Fred running the team will be mediocre at best. Pascals a choker

                    do the gs trade but include flynn and get another frp. Trade fred and a future frp to somewhere like orlando for their 8th and mo bamba

                    draft suggs, bouknight, jalen johnson

                    og or bouch in place of pascal and trent in place of fred. Good team with a lot of potential/assets on the bench. Money to spend

                    Comment


                    • I still like that kofi cockburn guy. Who cares if he cant shoot the three. Looks like a 7 ft 300 lb bismack

                      Comment


                      • slaw wrote: View Post

                        If he wants to be a great player, then he will learn. If he doesn't, he won't. Sometimes you need to reach a crossroads before you are forced to do something..
                        maybe his GF isn't hot enough

                        Comment


                        • Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                          I still like that kofi cockburn guy. Who cares if he cant shoot the three. Looks like a 7 ft 300 lb bismack
                          My man... Koffi got exposed as the pylon he is by a guy from Loyola of Chicago who ate his lunch in the NCAA tourney.
                          It was brutal.
                          And
                          Said Koffi killer is not going to play basketball in the NBA. He might not even play in the D-League or Europe.
                          You gotta find a new underdog to cheer for.
                          And with the 4th overall pick the Toronto Raptors select..... Scottie Barnes.

                          Comment


                          • After doing some thinking I've concluded that it's in this team's best interest to not rush the process or rely too heavily on this year's draft picks.

                            With that out of the way, I think the Raptors front office should:

                            PG: Let Lowry walk. Make FVV the starter, Flynn as backup PG or PG3.

                            SG: Resign GT Jr to a multi-year + sign a young SG with potential to a multi-year contract (Sterling Brown, Bryn Forbes etc.)

                            SF: OG starts, bring back Yuta or Bembry as wing depth. Let Hood walk.

                            PF: Siakam, Boucher as the backup PF.

                            C: Let Baynes walk, and sign TWO centers to multi-year contracts. This is important IMO.

                            The 3 centers that I believe to have the highest ceiling for the Raptors are Willy Hernangomez, Richaun Holmes, and Nerlens Noel.

                            A combination of any 2 will be a major upgrade at the post with Holmes + Hernangomez having the highest PPG potential.

                            This ultimately fills any major holes without putting too much pressure on the result of this upcoming draft.

                            1st Rd Pick draft best player available, ideally Suggs or Green.

                            2nd round picks can be filling wing/guard depth. Brings the roster up to 13 before summer league/training camp.

                            I think there should be some importance placed on bringing in players on multi-year contracts as this team grows and moves forward as it will help create much-needed stability in the locker room as well as providing excellent ammunition for future trades.

                            Comment


                            • c-troop wrote: View Post
                              After doing some thinking I've concluded that it's in this team's best interest to not rush the process or rely too heavily on this year's draft picks.

                              With that out of the way, I think the Raptors front office should:

                              PG: Let Lowry walk. Make FVV the starter, Flynn as backup PG or PG3.

                              SG: Resign GT Jr to a multi-year + sign a young SG with potential to a multi-year contract (Sterling Brown, Bryn Forbes etc.)

                              SF: OG starts, bring back Yuta or Bembry as wing depth. Let Hood walk.

                              PF: Siakam, Boucher as the backup PF.

                              C: Let Baynes walk, and sign TWO centers to multi-year contracts. This is important IMO.

                              The 3 centers that I believe to have the highest ceiling for the Raptors are Willy Hernangomez, Richaun Holmes, and Nerlens Noel.

                              A combination of any 2 will be a major upgrade at the post with Holmes + Hernangomez having the highest PPG potential.

                              This ultimately fills any major holes without putting too much pressure on the result of this upcoming draft.

                              1st Rd Pick draft best player available, ideally Suggs or Green.

                              2nd round picks can be filling wing/guard depth. Brings the roster up to 13 before summer league/training camp.

                              I think there should be some importance placed on bringing in players on multi-year contracts as this team grows and moves forward as it will help create much-needed stability in the locker room as well as providing excellent ammunition for future trades.
                              would you be against otto porter jr instead of signing a young sg


                              to me if you are signing GTJ and you already are likely to have a green or suggs pick then it shifts the need of getting an SG since Bembry can fill spot minutes and we have 2 second rounders

                              Comment


                              • Perfect off-season changes.
                                1. Toronto trade 4th pick and Aron Baynes to OKC for Shai Gilgeous Alexander

                                2. Toronto trade Pascal Siakam 46th and 47th pick to GSW for Andrew Wiggins. James Wiseman. 7th and 14th pick

                                3. Toronto trade Kyle Lowry to Lakers for Dennis Schroeder and KCP.

                                4. Toronto draft James Bouknight and Kai Jones

                                5. Toronto resigns Gary Trent Jr

                                Roster
                                SGA. Schroeder. MFlynn
                                FVV. James Bouknight. KCP
                                A.Wiggins. GTrent Jr. YWatanabe
                                OG. Kai Jones. A.Gillespie
                                JWiseman. CBoucher. KBirch

                                We have a pretty solid starting lineups and balanced backups. We should make to the playoff with SGA and Andrew Wiggins as the face of the franchise.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X