X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

I think Masai and Bobby's philosophy is that defensively elite players are undervalued and offensively elite players are overvalued. We are pretty confident in our development system to improve the offensive end for players, so we target the undervalued players with elite defense. That's how you end up with Barnes and Banton, and why we wanted Precious.

It's a slow burn improving the offensive game of players, but we're seeing that come to fruition this season with OG. All the moves we're making are looking years ahead, and that makes them confusing to fans only looking at this season.
    Yup, that thing about playing chess as others play checkers.

Doesn't matter if the development system produces quick results like Siakam or takes a bit longer like OG, they continue to develop these guys.. Can't wait to see what Scottie Trent look like in a few years.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

41 wins (so .500) gets you about the 7-8-9 seed in the East.. so play-in not necessarily playoffs.
    I may be alone here but I fucking hate this new playoff setup. It made more money on TV ratings so it's never going away but it's infuriating to me that the 10th seed can make the playoffs. 8 teams was already a lot and more than most sports. Now it's like the regular season means basically nothing.

So I get what Nurse is doing.

These regular season wins won't make a damn bit of difference unless you're confident your team will end up 6th seed or better.

I'm a big time homer and I don't have that confidence, and I doubt Masai and Bobby do either.

So Nurse is saying screw regular season wins, let's develop this team to crush whoever we play in the play-in-game and then make some noise in the playoffs. We've lost 5 of our last 6 and we're still a play-in team. Right the ship just a little bit and we cruise into the play-in playoffs without issue.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

I don't look at it like the Raps are too obsessed with defense. I can guarantee Masai and Bobby don't make decisions based on obsessions or phobia for that matter.

I look at it like they are not afraid to try new things (set the trend, not follow it) with an underlying attempt to get around what has been the huge obstacle of attracting star players in free agency. They are attempting to go a route that doesn't require a superstar to win an NBA championship and they doubled down on that by picking Scottie in the draft instead of a bucket-getter.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I don't think the Raps would bite on a trade offer for a Beal, Lillard or KAT type player even if it was on the table.
    I think Masai and Bobby's philosophy is that defensively elite players are undervalued and offensively elite players are overvalued. We are pretty confident in our development system to improve the offensive end for players, so we target the undervalued players with elite defense. That's how you end up with Barnes and Banton, and why we wanted Precious.

It's a slow burn improving the offensive game of players, but we're seeing that come to fruition this season with OG. All the moves we're making are looking years ahead, and that makes them confusing to fans only looking at this season.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post

I was referring to the fanbase more so than management. Masai/bobby will beat to their own drum and pursue the players they feel would be best for the team. if they take any cues to the fanbase though (which I think they do), they will see that many people (though of course not everyone) are skittish about the offence-first guy, even if the defence is average.

Your opinion of "I don't think the Raps would bite on a trade offer for a Beal, Lillard or KAT type player even if it was on the table" is a common one around the fanbase . Thing is, any team knowing that one of these 3 were available would seriously consider it (these guys are among the most impactful offensive players in the league right now, comfortably generating their own offence at will when things stall, therefore highly coveted). For some reason though, because they happen to not be nba all-defence caliber like Fred/OG etc.., they're not good enough for us (in the eyes of some). We'll see how it plays out.
    Imo, they are doing some of the stuff they are doing in answer to the issue Toronto has with signing free agents the caliber of Lillard, Kat etc. They're taking matters fully into their own hands trying to develop a way to win without having to wait for a disgruntled superstar that wants out their team, will cost a bunch of assets to get, and has no interest in playing for Toronto longer than they have to. I love that Masai isn't crying about free agents not coming here, and even more that he's trying to do something about it instead of using it as an excuse for why Toronto can't build a championship team.

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Yeah, we usually make our headlines in the offseason, but we did make big deadline deals in 2019 and I believe 2017, acquiring our 2 veteran championship centers.
    yea we sure could use a version of those guys now. Nothing crazy, just someone that can give 12 and 8 at centre with some trustful rim protection so our wings and guards can breathe. Birch is serviceable but he's slow, short, has a hard time switching onto quick guards, and has no range (his internal competition here has been Aron Baynes and Precious Achiuwa though, so he's looking like a blend of Rasheed Wallace, Rudy Gobert and Karl Anthony Towns out there).

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post

Safe bet every year
    Yeah, we usually make our headlines in the offseason, but we did make big deadline deals in 2019 and I believe 2017, acquiring our 2 veteran championship centers.

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    There will be a bunch of teams who will make themselves better at trade deadline. I predict Raps will stay put though. So second half of the season might not improve for Raps
    Safe bet every year

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    There will be a bunch of teams who will make themselves better at trade deadline. I predict Raps will stay put though. So second half of the season might not improve for Raps

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied

The difference between this season and previous ones is that there are less teams that are just outright bad. Cleveland was supposed to be bad, but have shown that they are not. Washington may start sliding, but again have had success early. The only teams that look bad are Detroit and Orlando. In prior seasons you typically had 4-5 teams that just flat out tanked from the start of the season. That doesn't seem to be the case this year. Plus the East just generally seems stronger than the West this season too.

So with so much parity I would suspect 43 wins you would be on the lower end of the standings. In the West for example, you would need about 47-48 wins just to get the 8th seed. Let alone the 6th seed.

Again more than happy to be wrong.
    The preseason expectation is a play-in (7-8-9-10) positioning, where would they land in any of those 4 slots won’t matter.

They are a Health and Safety Protocol away of one or two of their core guys to be in a hole once again.

Like I said last season, it ain’t rainbows and unicorns. Playing in front of the home crowd is fools gold.

Development of the young players should be the main focus, I hope they don’t get sidetrack of that.

However, if they win games as a result of giving the young players enough slack is already a big bonus. Running players into the ground is not the way to go. Injuries devalue players.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

The difference between this season and previous ones is that there are less teams that are just outright bad. Cleveland was supposed to be bad, but have shown that they are not. Washington may start sliding, but again have had success early. The only teams that look bad are Detroit and Orlando. In prior seasons you typically had 4-5 teams that just flat out tanked from the start of the season. That doesn't seem to be the case this year. Plus the East just generally seems stronger than the West this season too.

So with so much parity I would suspect 43 wins you would be on the lower end of the standings. In the West for example, you would need about 47-48 wins just to get the 8th seed. Let alone the 6th seed.

I would say you're correct, the east is much better this year, and could take at least 45 wins to get 6th seed. Cavs don't look like they're going away, hornets are better, Celtics are hanging around. Knicks and thibs will be there all year and same with the sixers. The Wizards are off to a great start, and you know the nets, bulls, bucks and Heat will be sitting comfy.

That's 10 teams I just listed not including the Raptors that all expect to be .500 or better, and I still didn't mention the hawks or pacers who have ambitions to pass us.

The east is a different beast finally. I would say it's almost as good as the west if not as good.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

The last three 82 game seasons, the 6th seed had 42, 43 and 44 wins. So 43 wins is a decent expectation for that slot. More than 47 is too high for 6th, if you approach 50 you should be competing for home court.

Our current net rating projects us to a pythagorean record of 43-39, so we are right on track for 6th seed. That of course may change over a larger sample, but in terms of expectations it seems as reasonable a one as any.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

6th seed is really ambitious. Especially if we finish around 41 wins. Just look at previous seasons and at what record a team needed to get to 6th seed. To get to 6th seed they need around 45-47 wins I think. Possibly more.
    The last three 82 game seasons, the 6th seed had 42, 43 and 44 wins. So 43 wins is a decent expectation for that slot. More than 47 is too high for 6th, if you approach 50 you should be competing for home court.

Our current net rating projects us to a pythagorean record of 43-39, so we are right on track for 6th seed. That of course may change over a larger sample, but in terms of expectations it seems as reasonable a one as any.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

That's a pretty big gamble in a season where there is so much parity. I'm not convinced this is a playoff team yet. At best a play-in team, and that could be playing roulette. Hope I'm wrong though.
    If they make the play-in, the gamble paid off, because at that point you implement your playoff strategy.

If they can't even make the play-in with the defence not clicking on all cylinders, they probably have no reason to be all that concerned about regular season success anyway and might aim for a running mate for Scottie.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post

I believe this as well. Back half of the season will be better than the first half, and they are still a .500 team.
    The last 5-6 games have been horrible on defense. There is something wrong when the team can boast at least 3 very good man-to-man defensive players in OG, SB and PS. FVV and Khem and GTJ are next tier and pretty good too. Something has happened coincidental to Pascal's returning to the lineup. Cannot put my finger on it but opposing teams are having a run of it from the 3 and we are doubling up unnecessarily quite often. The "simple" answer is we need to mix it up with the "positionless" switching... seems the oppo are catching on especially late in games. Hope NN finds a solution soon!

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    I really wish Kyle Lowry is still here instead of Van Vleet.

Kyle would have been a great mentor and a significant factor in the development of Scottie

Watching Kyle and Adebayo having great chemistry considering it is their first year together is amazing.

The intangibles and not the boxscore is what makes Kyle so impactful to a team with high level talent around him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X