'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Not sure why you think I'm viewing it as a negative, I'm not. If I was, I wouldn't have been the one person on the board throwing my support behind drafting Barnes when literally everyone else wanted Suggs, Keon, Moody, Springer or Mann. I'm just talking ideas with my fellow Toronto Raptor fans here and I definitely am not throwing my ideas out there as absolute must do's. More like a "hey this is a great time to potentially add talent in an area of need, what do y'all think" scenario.

I hope to be wrong, but when I think of a line up of FVV, Barnes, OG, Siakam and Birch I'm not sure there's enough scoring there, especially in the playoffs when it becomes a half court game. At least with a guy like Ayton (as an example) you have a option in the post.
    not necessarily true. When we were in the 7/8th spot there were some of us who wanted Barnes AT THAT SPOT. Also again Personally I felt like Moody was not a swing for the fences pick. Springer was though, Keon would have been as well. Springer mainly because of age.

At 4, I wanted and still maintain that if we had a move for Mobley that we should take it. Some people thought mobley would drop. Some people said play it safe and take the consensus top 4. I am always in favor in the draft where you are in a lottery and you don't plan on remaining in such positions often to take a swing. They took a swing not the one I thought but they took a swing and hit. Point is is yes I think there is SOME merit to your notion but again as long as Siakam retains his scoring at a level that is between last year and the year before we will be jut fine for scoring. If you need more scoring you can always shift birch out and swap in GTJ into that line up and let it roll. Then you would be able to almost play 4 out.

Comment

Apologies, didn't meant to get anyone riled up LOL. I agree, our best player hasn't even returned yet so we need to see how that goes.
      its ok we are all family here. I just believe siakam, og, and barnes are going to present match up and line up problems for opposing teams.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

not necessarily true. When we were in the 7/8th spot there were some of us who wanted Barnes AT THAT SPOT. Also again Personally I felt like Moody was not a swing for the fences pick. Springer was though, Keon would have been as well. Springer mainly because of age.

At 4, I wanted and still maintain that if we had a move for Mobley that we should take it. Some people thought mobley would drop. Some people said play it safe and take the consensus top 4. I am always in favor in the draft where you are in a lottery and you don't plan on remaining in such positions often to take a swing. They took a swing not the one I thought but they took a swing and hit. Point is is yes I think there is SOME merit to your notion but again as long as Siakam retains his scoring at a level that is between last year and the year before we will be jut fine for scoring. If you need more scoring you can always shift birch out and swap in GTJ into that line up and let it roll. Then you would be able to almost play 4 out.
        Fair enough. My point was that I didn't see or do see having 3 good forwards as a negative. Just I can see an avenue for how this team may possibly improve in areas that are weak. We still need that guy who can take end of game shots and be a dynamic scorer, and we still need a C or a big PF that can bang with C's.

I'm hoping Siakam, OG and Barnes can coexist and we can get the best out of all three. Just seems to me there might be some stepping on each others feet as they all operate primarily inside the arc now that iso O is here

Comment

• I'm pretty sure I've been been proven right at this early juncture - it simply doesn't matter if Scottie is at the 3 or the 5 or the 1 or the 2 or the 4. Nurse has been keeping a (6'9) centre on the court most of the time just because he can afford to stay big without sacrificing the offense.

But "death lineups" with Scottie as they biggest guy on the court are definitely coming.

I can't wait to see something like this:

Svi
          Yuta
          OG
          Pascal
          Scottie (but running the offense)

Comment

Fair enough. My point was that I didn't see or do see having 3 good forwards as a negative. Just I can see an avenue for how this team may possibly improve in areas that are weak. We still need that guy who can take end of game shots and be a dynamic scorer, and we still need a C or a big PF that can bang with C's.

I'm hoping Siakam, OG and Barnes can coexist and we can get the best out of all three. Just seems to me there might be some stepping on each others feet as they all operate primarily inside the arc now that iso O is here
            You outlined the exact reason why Mobley would have been PERFECT. Again though I am more than happy with Barnes. I agree though we need to make a trade for a good center. Turner is one possible option if you want a vet. If you want someone younger Jaxson Hayes is one option. I dont know if you have other suggestions. Basically we need a better birch. If we can get that person without giving up too much more than Dragic, Boucher, and max a second rounder some how you have something. It also clears up depth issues.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              I'm pretty sure I've been been proven right at this early juncture - it simply doesn't matter if Scottie is at the 3 or the 5 or the 1 or the 2 or the 4. Nurse has been keeping a (6'9) centre on the court most of the time just because he can afford to stay big without sacrificing the offense.

But "death lineups" with Scottie as they biggest guy on the court are definitely coming.

Svi
              Yuta
              OG
              Pascal
              absolutely. Scottie can play the 1-5. He once he gets a consistent spot up he will be able to play the 2 in spots comfortably.

Comment

Isn't now a really good time to look at trade options (unless you think the talent is there to compete for a championship)? You have Dragic and Boucher expiring and 3 forwards in Barnes, OG and Siakam that should all be starting. If you were to add one of OG or Siakam to a package of Dragic, Boucher and maybe picks you could, if available, bring in a star at SG or C. Shouldn't we try to improve the talent level when the opportunity is there? With Barnes showing he's NBA ready we would never feel the loss of one of those two any less than we would right now.

Is there a reason(s) you don't think it's a good time to make a trade? Is it a matter of waiting and seeing what the line up of FVV, Barnes, OG, Siakam and Birch is capable of?
                It's a perfectly fine time to make a trade. But the only actually good time to make a trade is when a star is available.

My point is, having all three of OG, Siakam and Barnes who should start is solved very easily. Start them all. That's the whole team building philosophy right now. They won't make a trade thinking that they have too many forwards right now.

It had better be a megawatt star on Kawhi's level if you are trading a Pascal or OG for them. But if a megawatt star is available there is no bad time to trade for them!

But there is absolutely no rush just because of the "positions" Siakam, OG and Barnes play. By all accounts what they really want is 5 guys that fit that profile playing together, so 3 is by no means too many.

As for trading right now, I would expect Siakam's trade value is at an all time low due to coming off an injury and not having a chance to bounce back from last season yet. So if anything there is the opposite of a rush to make a trade.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Id like to see shai/og/barnes/siakam/turner trade whoever to get that including mulitple frp’s

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    I'm pretty sure I've been been proven right at this early juncture - it simply doesn't matter if Scottie is at the 3 or the 5 or the 1 or the 2 or the 4. Nurse has been keeping a (6'9) centre on the court most of the time just because he can afford to stay big without sacrificing the offense.

Svi
                    Yuta
                    OG
                    Pascal
                    I doubt we ever see anything like that. Svi and Yuta seem like both will be borderline in the rotation, probably see one each night.

And if we do see both, it's likely to buy our forwards rest.

Death lineup I would think is more like:

FVV/Trent/OG/Pascal/Scottie

Maybe could see a version with Banton in for Fred to buy Fred some rest in a transition look. Actually, that may be the closest we get to your lineup, if Nurse really goes for the length and subs Svi or Yuta in for Trent and Banton in at PG. Still, buying Trent and Fred rest time at the same time as using all three forwards just seems like such an unlikely scenario outside of injuries.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I doubt we ever see anything like that. Svi and Yuta seem like both will be borderline in the rotation, probably see one each night.

And if we do see both, it's likely to buy our forwards rest.

Death lineup I would think is more like:

FVV/Trent/OG/Pascal/Scottie

Maybe could see a version with Banton in for Fred to buy Fred some rest in a transition look. Actually, that may be the closest we get to your lineup, if Nurse really goes for the length and subs Svi or Yuta in for Trent and Banton in at PG. Still, buying Trent and Fred rest time at the same time as using all three forwards just seems like such an unlikely scenario outside of injuries.
                      Yeah, it was more to illustrate that Scottie can, and will, play point-centre. Yours is the obvious death lineup. And I'm looking for ways for Yuta to get minutes whatsoever, they are going to have to come in 6'9er lineups like this one, or with OG and the 2, etc.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

You outlined the exact reason why Mobley would have been PERFECT. Again though I am more than happy with Barnes. I agree though we need to make a trade for a good center. Turner is one possible option if you want a vet. If you want someone younger Jaxson Hayes is one option. I dont know if you have other suggestions. Basically we need a better birch. If we can get that person without giving up too much more than Dragic, Boucher, and max a second rounder some how you have something. It also clears up depth issues.
                        Other options than just trading Siakim.
                        What are next year's crop of rookies looking like? Who might be moved at the trade deadline? Who is likely to be waived after the trade deadline? Who is a free agent next year? Which European center wants to try the NBA?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Other options than just trading Siakim.
                          What are next year's crop of rookies looking like? Who might be moved at the trade deadline? Who is likely to be waived after the trade deadline? Who is a free agent next year? Which European center wants to try the NBA?
                          Why trade siakam though?

Buy out candidates will be Love (though I dont think it happens) Favors, and thad young. Thad would help us this year actually. I don't start looking into rookies until later in the year because we aren't or shouldn't be in the lottery. That said the top top rookies look good. Chet is the prize this year. He has played with Cade and others on the jr olympic team he is 7 feet with a 7'6 wing span. he is skilled and can score. Adrian Griffin (our assistant coach) has a son who is mocked in the mid first round. But why are we looking to next year already before the year is done. Boucher should be moved for future assets if possible to try to build at rade for something worth while.

There seems to be an obsession with trading Siakam and I am not sure why that is. He fits this team. He hasn't had a chance to even work with Scottie and OG ... so yeah. Also if we are talking about trading Siakam then why aren't we talking about trading FVV more or just in general. If you get rid of FVV you can keep siakam and still have a really good team. If you trade Siakam though then the current ceiling of this team is lowered automatically.

Comment

• The guys we should be speculating on trade destinations is Dragic and Boucher, and maybe Flynn.

At this point I'd be surprised if Dragic and Boucher aren't moved by the deadline.

Dragic because the plan was always to move him, and Boucher because he's been beaten out by new players like Svi and Banton, and that's before Yuta and Siakam have even come back.

When Siakam is back he will need minutes (duh), and those have to come from somewhere, and Precious and Boucher's minutes seem like they will all go right to Siakam leaving them the odd men out.

When Siakam comes back I really think Precious needs to go down to the G-League and spend the season focusing on controlling his offense, making easy put backs and dunks, making the extra pass when an easy shot isn't there, improving his court awareness. All the physical tools are there and he creates total havoc but just can't seem to make the easy buckets and I think we could clean that up with a season of focus in the G-League. The 905 was created exactly for players like Precious.

Dragic we tested out and he just doesn't fit so it seems both parties agreed he won't play and he'll be nice and healthy for whatever team trades for him by the deadline, or he can give us a bunch back on his contract in a buy out to get us below the tax.

Boucher has been given his chance and he seems to have regressed this year. His contract is more easily moved and I think we get a 2nd rounder or better for him. Once Siakam is back we really don't need him at all.

Flynn is the sweetener to actually bring us back something good in a trade. He's a good player on a rookie deal, and would likely shine in an offense more suited to his talents. We don't need to deal him but it also wouldn't hurt us if we did because we have Banton emerging as the backup PG and of course Scottie can play the point as well.

Comment

• We are already a very good team to the point its hard to make rotational upgrades without acquiring superstars.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                                The guys we should be speculating on trade destinations is Dragic and Boucher, and maybe Flynn.

At this point I'd be surprised if Dragic and Boucher aren't moved by the deadline.

Dragic because the plan was always to move him, and Boucher because he's been beaten out by new players like Svi and Banton, and that's before Yuta and Siakam have even come back.

When Siakam is back he will need minutes (duh), and those have to come from somewhere, and Precious and Boucher's minutes seem like they will all go right to Siakam leaving them the odd men out.

When Siakam comes back I really think Precious needs to go down to the G-League and spend the season focusing on controlling his offense, making easy put backs and dunks, making the extra pass when an easy shot isn't there, improving his court awareness. All the physical tools are there and he creates total havoc but just can't seem to make the easy buckets and I think we could clean that up with a season of focus in the G-League. The 905 was created exactly for players like Precious.

Dragic we tested out and he just doesn't fit so it seems both parties agreed he won't play and he'll be nice and healthy for whatever team trades for him by the deadline, or he can give us a bunch back on his contract in a buy out to get us below the tax.

Boucher has been given his chance and he seems to have regressed this year. His contract is more easily moved and I think we get a 2nd rounder or better for him. Once Siakam is back we really don't need him at all.

Flynn is the sweetener to actually bring us back something good in a trade. He's a good player on a rookie deal, and would likely shine in an offense more suited to his talents. We don't need to deal him but it also wouldn't hurt us if we did because we have Banton emerging as the backup PG and of course Scottie can play the point as well.
                                Flynn will end up being kept I think because they want to give him a proper chance when Dragic is gone. Dragic took his minutes initially, as did Banton but Dragic I think is the initial individual.

Comment

Working...
                                X