'21-'22 Roster Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '21-'22 Roster Construction

Typically at this time of the year, the talk is about our playoff matchups. This year not only is not playoff time quite yet, but there's also a good chance we won't make it (though get a lottery pick as a result). So instead of talking playoffs, I'm curious to see how folks would like to see our roster heading into the next training camp.

This is the "blank canvas summer 2021" the front office has been planning around for years, and it'd be interesting to see how this board would paint it. Put forward your ideal moves/roster. Doesn't need to be likely, but let's keep it conceivable. Then later when it's said and done, we'll revisit this thread for fun to see if someone got close to it. I'll start:

1. Finish the tank this year, draft the best player available in the lottery (ideally a wing)
    2. Sign and trade Lowry for a pick, prospect and/or waivable salary filler (may not be doable)
    3. Put a good bid for Markkanen in RFA.
    4. Keep Fred, Flynn, Trent, OG, Siakam & boucher (+ Yuta & birch on minimums).

Start: Fred - Trent - OG - Siakam - Markkanen
    Rotation bench: Flynn - FRP - boucher - birch

Trade siakam and pick(s) for beal. SnT lowry for something the pacers would want for turner.

fvv, beal, GTJr, OG, turner
    flynn, bembry, watson, yuta, boucher, birch

Comment

Or, just move lowry for turner somehow:

fvv, GTJr, OG, pascal, turner
      same bench as above

I like the first one more, unless trent can become a beal like scorer. Gotta have that go to guy and gotta have turner.

Comment

Masai brings Kawhi back....I like the two ideas above

Comment

the idea of trading siakam .. plus it would require our pick this year for beal is a non-start for me

Comment

1. Finish the tank and hopefully get a top 5 pick
            2. Keep lowry until he retires
            3. Try to sign Holmes in FA or see if you can flip Siakam + 2nd rounder for a C
            4. Cut baynes and retain new Freddie
            5. Bring back Trent (forgot to add this)
            Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Wed Apr 21, 2021, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Trade: FVV+Boucher to Knicks for: 2 FRPs + Mitchell Robinson + Quickly + Filler
              Trade: S&T GTJr + 4 FRPs (2 from Knicks, above) + Filler for: Beal
              FA Sign: Richuan Holmes
              Re-sign: Lowry (2yrs + team option)

Starters: Lowry/Beal/OG/Siakam/Robinson
              Bench: Holmes & Watson + Flynn/Quickly/Bembry/Yuta/Birch

Comment

I'm not doing anything drastic. I'm continuing to hope that this tampa/covid awful season won't continue into next season.

And it's really what I think will happen more so than should.

- Kyle walks or we can S&T him where we get a large TPE (which we end up renouncing) and a couple of picks.
                - We draft a top 9 pick (hopefully move to top 4 in the lottery)
                - Draft 2 guys from the second round using GSW's and Memphis' picks (right now at 45 and 47)
                - Bring back Trent Jr, Boucher, Bembry, Watson, Harris. Waive/renounce everyone else.
                - Have about $16-18M in cap space (depending on what draft slot we pick in). Use that to bring back a center like Holmes.
                - Use the room mid-level (about $4-5M) to bring back Birch

Roster: FVV, GTJR, OG, Pascal, Holmes
                Bench: Boucher, Flynn, FRP, Birch, 2RP1, 2RP2, Watanabe, Watson, Bembry, Harris

That's 15. Get Freddie G on a 2-way. We have one 2-way left for a camp battle if we like.

If Lowry comes back, we will have our full mid-level to use on a guy, but I don't think we can get Holmes. Maybe I'd use it on Drummond and just hope and pray he plays within himself and doesn't feel like he is some kind of alpha dog or something. And then cut someone like Watson or move him to a second two-way contract. As for Birch, see if he's willing to come in as a vet minimum for a year since we no longer would have an exception to use on him.

Comment

Yeah I don't see drummond getting a ton so I agree he is the back up guy for Holmes. Birch for cheap would be great. I think he stays. I think we need to do something similar to what Planetmars suggested.

Only thing is I think we will and should trade the two second rounders to move into the mid to late 30's.

I think your best bet of getting beal without creating another defensive hole or two is trading FVV (don't think it happens they already have Westbrook... although it could work. I don't think we have assets to get Beal, without trading the pick and that would be under the condition that the pick is top 5 ... and if its top 5 just take the pick in my honest opinion. We need to stock that bench back up with decent wing and big players.

You keep Siakam because him and OG defensively with a half-decent center could really do some damage. I think what may end up happening at some point is a trade that involves fred and filler and future picks may bring in a star but not this year.

Comment

I’m willing to give everyone a do over for next year. Pg Freddy. Arguably could have been an all star this year. Raps highest scoring game. SG GTJ. He’s ready to play d and be the 4th option. SF OG ‘nuf said. PF Siakam. An all star starter in his last healthy normal year. The fifth position is either Kyle or whatever big we get with Kyle’s space. Bench of Flynn, ?Bembry, Yuta, Watson,Boucher, ? Birch and draft pick. Makes sense until Masai trades half of these for Giannis
                    Last edited by Jclaw; Wed Apr 21, 2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                      I’m willing to give everyone a do over for next year. Pg Freddy. Arguably could have been an all star this year. Raps highest scoring game. SG GTJ. He’s ready to play d and be the 4th option. SF OG ‘nuf said. PF Siakam. An all star starter in his last healthy normal year. The fifth position is either Kyle or whatever big we get with Kyle’s space. Bench of Flynn, ?Bembry, Yuta, Watson,Boucher, ? Birch and draft pick. Makes sense until Masai trades half of these for Giannis
                      I mean would you give baynes a do over???

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                        In all seriousness though this is exactly my point.

I want to see what we can do in a non-weird pandemic year. With a solid rookie. I think Flynn and Yuta and Boucher on the bench have all shown themselves to be worthy of bringing back. Bembry too. That is a decent bench over all as long as Flynn plays to bolster. I am fine with not bringing back kyle. Or Sign and Trade Kyle. Which will likely happen.

Comment

- makes sure Baynes is no where near Canada
                          - Keep Birch
                          - Draft BPA
                          - Sign and Trade Lowry
                          - Re-sign GTJ

Roll into next year
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Out of curiosity what's the consensus on James Weisman? I thought he looked really good early on in the season, but he seems to have fallen out of favor with fans in GS from what I've read lately. Would he be available in a trade since the Warriors are going to want to contend next season when Klay is back healthy? If the draft order ends up remaining the same as it is today and Raps are picking 8th and GS picking 13, would trading Boucher (win now player that fits their team) and 8th pick for Weisman and 13th pick make sense for both teams? Maybe Raps have to toss in a couple SRP's as well?

FVV, Trent, OG, Siakam, Weisman
                            Flynn, 13th pick (scoring wing), Yuta

Wishful thinking or doesn't move the needle enough for Raps?

Comment

Needs: a Centre, a "go to scorer".

Centre I think we can get in a S&T for Lowry or in Free Agency. Turner and Holmes are names I could get behind. As long as it's not Baynes I'm good.

As per "go to scorer", I think you have to look at it as a project. Beal is not coming here without a kings ransom and I think other teams are in a better position to do so. However a top 5 pick, could be our go to scorer of the future.

Yuta, Birch, Boucher even Bembry have proven they should get another chance. Stanley has shown flashes, but I'm good if he's gone. Flynn's not going anywhere and I think GTjr is great addition to the team.

FVV, Flynn
                              GTjr, "Go To Scorer of the Future"
                              OG, Yuta, Bembry
                              Pascal, Boucher
                              Turner/Holmes, Birch, Freddie

That is promising young group. It would be able to compete in the east next year, but in a couple seasons that 1st Rd Pick could be a dynamic player. As each of these players age, their values should go up (Boucher would be one of the older guys) so if a disgruntled Super Star wants out of his current team, we would have the assets to pull off another blockbuster trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X